Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

NIKON D800 Shock

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
sharppictures

I recently bought a Nikon D800 from Grays of Westminster, in London. Only 3 days after purchase I had to take the camera back for a full refund. [ I have to add that Grays of Westminster gave the refund without any problems. ]
I was actually shocked about the fundamental problem with this camera. Because the sensor is so huge, you have to shoot at 2-3 times the normal shutter speed in order to avoid getting blurry pictures. So the camera is virtually useless without a tripod, and only in very bright conditions can you use it handheld. I only found this out by chance within two days of purchase.
As a professional photographer for the past 15 years I have exclusively used Nikon cameras and equipment. In the past Nikon had an international reputation for producing excellent quality cameras. However for the first time in my career I am seriously considering moving to Canon.
If I was on Nikon's management I would take this problem very seriously and rectify these design faults with the D800. At the moment this camera can only be severely undermining Nikon's reputation.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Feb 2013 - 3:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
2 Feb 2013 - 3:39 PM

Ermm...

Quote: Because the sensor is so huge, you have to shoot at 2-3 times the normal shutter speed in order to avoid getting blurry pictures.

I fail to understand why the size of a sensor should affect a resulting EV for a given lighting condition.

Were I to shoot the same subject at the same moment with a 120 roll film camera and a compact set to manual (and the same ISO setting) using the incidence EV from a lightmeter - I would have the same image on both cameras.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Feb 2013 - 3:44 PM
paulcookphotography

I'm going to assume there was a fault with the camera (or lens, for that matter) as i have ever heard of anyone else complaining of that before. If you are using the camera correctly, then i think its highly unlikely that the D800 is 'useless' without a tripod and/or tripod.

While i'm not exactly the biggest fan of Nikon's decision to release such a camera, i havent heard anything but good about the camera itself (asides from the high file sizes)

ikett
ikett  3340 forum posts England
2 Feb 2013 - 3:44 PM

How strange I've recently swapped from Canon to Nikon because of the D800.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 3:51 PM

Quote: Because the sensor is so huge, you have to shoot at 2-3 times the normal shutter speed in order to avoid getting blurry pictures. So the camera is virtually useless without a tripod

Can't you just increase the ISO ? Isn't it just that you have to use different sharpening parameters?

sharppictures

The sensor on the D800 is so large it actually picks up any tiny movements as it records the image. [ You can also check this with Nikon themselves ] .Therefore you can't avoid taking a blurred picture without using a shutter speed at 2-3 times the normal speed.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 4:03 PM

Quote: The sensor on the D800 is so large it actually picks up any tiny movements as it records the image.

But don't those movements disappear when you resize the image ? Wouldn't they only be a problem when viewing at 100% or printing huge pictures?

Quote: Therefore you can't avoid taking a blurred picture without using a shutter speed at 2-3 times the normal speed.

Can't you just increase the ISO ?

geffers7
geffers7 e2 Member 435 forum postsgeffers7 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 4:03 PM

Must have been a fault with the camera although there's no doubt the D800 needs good technique and quality lens - I had to revisit my own technique and buy better glass when I got it last summer. There are a lot of D800 users out there and this is the first complaint of this type I've heard of.Wink

sharppictures

It appears that knowledge of this problem with the D800 is only filtering through in a sporadic way. If you have 2,000 to spare try it out for yourselves. But I reserve the right to say ....... I told you so !

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
2 Feb 2013 - 4:04 PM

Seems a bit stragnge joining a forum for the first post just to be to complaining about a specific camera.

lobsterboy
2 Feb 2013 - 4:07 PM

Quote: Seems a bit stragnge joining a forum for the first post just to be to complaining about a specific camera.

People join and make their first post for all manor of reasons - as long as they stick to the sites T&Cs then there is nothing wrong with that.

MODERATOR POST
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 4:09 PM

Emmm.... The sensor size of D800 is the same as D700 or 5d?

381514133-013317.jpg

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
2 Feb 2013 - 4:12 PM

I didn't say he was in breach of terms an conditions - if that is what I thought I would have reported the post.

However this kind of post is exactly the kind of post a troll would post just to cause a reaction. For someone claiming 15 years experience they have either had no EPZ interest in all that time so why join now just to complain about a product - or are they actually an existing member and didn't want to admit they they were unable to use the camera.

lobsterboy
2 Feb 2013 - 4:14 PM

Quote: If I was on Nikon's management I would take this problem very seriously and rectify these design faults with the D800.

So what is the design fault? From what you say, the problem is that it records too much detail and shows up any flaw in technique/glass used. How would they rectify that?

sharppictures

Actually I joined this forum to warn anyone who, like me, was expecting great things from the D800, to be aware of this issue. If you spend 2000 on a D800, you expect it to be a step up from the D3, not a downgrade.
And just to clear it up....... I don't work for Canon either !.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.