Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

NIKON D800 Shock

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SteveHunter
2 Feb 2013 - 4:16 PM

My brain cannot comprehend why a larger sensor would make any difference at all.

It's a full frame sensor, same as many other cameras have.

Are you saying that because it has so many pixels that any movement is easier to see as it is recording a much more detailed image. I don't see what the problem is with that as when you print or display the image you would not be viewing it at 100% size anyway.

Perhaps I'm just being stupid here but I don't understand....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014175 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: you expect it to be a step up from the D3, not a downgrade.

How is recording more detail a downgrade?

paulcookphotography

Quote: Emmm.... The sensor size of D800 is the same as D700 or 5d?

lol yeah, i was just about to say that.

Unless the OP means the resolution is so high that it clearly shows any movement from the subject, which would require a higher shutter speed to resolve. However, that movement would still be there regardless of the camera, and is only visible doe to the resolution (therefore not a 'fault')

dandeakin
dandeakin  7201 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 4:19 PM

Why don't you just resize your pictures to what ever you used to use and then your "problem" will go away.

I'm surprised Greys of Westminster let you change it.

sharppictures

I think the sad truth is something along the lines of this. Nikon have not spent enough money on Research & Development, but are under strong pressure to compete with Canon. They are already miles behind on the Slr/Video front, so they have rushed out the D800 to try to compete with Canon.
If you are a studio photographer and/or a landscape photographer who uses a tripod all the time, then the D800 is a great camera. But for everyone else who shoots hand held, then use it at your peril.

stuvine
stuvine  963 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 - 4:23 PM

Really don't see the problem here!!
Not a fault with the camera, just as mentioned earlier you need the technique and the glass to go with the camera.
I think Greys of Westminster have been very "understanding" here as in my opinion there is nothing wrong with the camera, merely the shooter!!

Last Modified By stuvine at 2 Feb 2013 - 4:23 PM
ikett
ikett  4352 forum posts England
2 Feb 2013 - 4:23 PM

Would I be correct that the OP has no experience of say Kodachrome 25 ISO 25 full frame, oops sorry 35mm, IS AF and all the other bells whistles and tricks were not invented yet sharp in focus photos were created daily.

Coat on 'n' gone.

User_Removed
2 Feb 2013 - 4:24 PM

Quote:
I was actually shocked about the fundamental problem with this camera. Because the sensor is so huge, you have to shoot at 2-3 times the normal shutter speed in order to avoid getting blurry pictures.

What utter nonsense.

I have been shooting with the D800 for over 10 months now and can verify that the camera produces supersharp images hand-held.

I switched to it from a D3s and it was the best move I ever made.

I think this is a wind-up, guys - just look at the OP's screen-name!!

TROLL ALERT.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 2 Feb 2013 - 4:25 PM
sharppictures

On the facts...... if the D800 sensor is the same size as the D700 or the 5D, then why does everyone acknowledge that the Nikon D800 has by far the biggest sensor on the market ?. Check your facts !

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014175 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Feb 2013 - 4:26 PM

Quote: TROLL ALERT.

Possibly, certainly isn't making much sense or being bothered to answer any questions posed...

ikett
2 Feb 2013 - 4:37 PM

Quote: TROLL ALERT.

Quote: Possibly, certainly isn't making much sense or being bothered to answer any questions posed...

Yep seems to be talking s**t.

SteveHunter
2 Feb 2013 - 4:37 PM

The D800 sensor is 35.9 x 24mm
The D700 sensor is 36 x 24mm
The EOS 5D is 36 x 24mm

The D800 sensor is not bigger, it does have more Megapixels though, but all that does is captures more detail enabling you to see everything in more detail including poor camera work. It is not a design fault with the camera, it is a feature, which when used correctly could benefit many people.

Having the extra Megapixels will not make your picture look worse though.

edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Feb 2013 - 4:38 PM

Forgive me if I am wrong. But this photo I took with my D800 and 28-300 lens looks sharp. It was hand held too.1-cottage.jpg

ikett
2 Feb 2013 - 4:40 PM

Next we'll be told he can get sharper more detailed images from a 6MP compact.Tongue

paulcookphotography

Quote: I think the sad truth is something along the lines of this. Nikon have not spent enough money on Research & Development, but are under strong pressure to compete with Canon. They are already miles behind on the Slr/Video front, so they have rushed out the D800 to try to compete with Canon.
If you are a studio photographer and/or a landscape photographer who uses a tripod all the time, then the D800 is a great camera. But for everyone else who shoots hand held, then use it at your peril.

I hardly think Nikon are miles behind Canon on the SLR/Video front, and certainly for video, i cannot see why the D800 is a step forward. What exactly was it 'rushed out' to compete with?

Secondly the majority of studio photographers do not use tripods. Realistically, any movement captured in the studio would be from the model, not from the camera

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.