Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

NIKON D800 Shock

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
3 Feb 2013 11:50PM
OK I'm not sure how this will look at 600px, so straight out of lightroom screen shot ISO3200, F8, 1/40 sec hand held - the main image is the white rectangle in the thumb.

d880-sharp.jpg

I hope this will put a few minds at rest, the D800 is awesome in the right hands.

This is the full size image - not cropped or processed - the above is from the central section which is what I focused on (I can also make out - just - from the page at the back LHS its from page 285.

d800-trial.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

janeez e2
6 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2013 12:27AM
That's one hell of a laundry room you've got in your house! Wink

Do you have staff?
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
4 Feb 2013 12:49AM
LOL... Now I've just run the above through Color EFEX, I'm amazed at the amount of detail even at ISO 3200, yes there is some noise in the extreme shadows (if you pixel peep) but its far less than an old D80 file I looked at yesterday (and that was ISO 100).
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
4 Feb 2013 10:31AM

Quote:LOL... Now I've just run the above through Color EFEX, I'm amazed at the amount of detail even at ISO 3200, yes there is some noise in the extreme shadows (if you pixel peep) but its far less than an old D80 file I looked at yesterday (and that was ISO 100).

The other thing, Nick, that I have mentioned before on the Forum is that, at higher ISO settings, the D800 has a different "quality" of noise. Even at 6400 it tends to be more like the grain we used to get on fast films, rather than the speckled-colour artefacts that high-ISO gave on earlier digital cameras like the D3.
iancrowson e2
4 211 129 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 5:23PM
The poster is trying wind you up, I got my D800 in June, shot thousands, he's talking a load of b.....cks
Ian
Cagey75 3 42 Ireland
10 Feb 2013 6:05PM
You just have bad technique.

I have no problems using a D800E after using a D90 for years.

People are exaggerating the megapixel thing. Take your time a little bit more - it's not designed for sports or action, it's a camera to be used with care for sure,but that's nonsense about needing 3 x shutter speeds. I've gotten sharp shots at 1/15 without VR with my 24-70 lens on the D800.

Practice more ... and don't be scare mongering.
photofrenzy 8 424 2 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 1:42AM
I must admit SHARPPICTURES , you are certainly entertaining. So laughable you should be on stage Wink
RavenTepes 5 198 United States
13 Feb 2013 5:49PM
I wonder if the OP works for the American government...he shares the same logic, at any rate, with the "gun control" situation. By his logic, this would indicate that the camera makes you a better photographer, guns kill people, and forks make people fat!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
13 Feb 2013 6:13PM
I seen people going on about shutter shock with M4/3, I wonder what planet there on.
I know exactly what the OP is talking about. Since the swift advance of digital photography about 10 years ago, all photos taken of me, have made me look bigger and bigger. I know this is to do with the pixels, because my size in the photos has increased at the same rate as digital cameras have increased in pixels.
Ive also move to a different area and the hard water has slowly started to shrink my clothes.

But thats not the worst. you should look at what the extra pixels have done to my wife over the last 10 years.

if you don't believe me. i recommend you all look at a photo taken about 10 years ago of you or your loved one. and then take a photo with your modern digital camera. the difference is shocking.
Trevhas e2
2 528 3 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2013 8:20PM
Hey you're right goexplorephotography everything is bigger except when you point digital cameras down then things start to appear smaller after 10 years, if you know what i mean.

Thank goodness for the D800 it's awesome quality and ahead of it's time and is obviously more versatile than the Pentax 67 i used to lug around, so i'm used to holding film cameras steady. I use the D800 primarily for landscapes and have suprisingly started to use the mirror up again just like i did on the Pentax 67 after reading the technical guide.

Anybody thinking of buying or have bought a D800 must read this technical guide,Thanks to Miptog who first posted this link on page 3 of this forum.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf
and you must read all of it !!
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
13 Feb 2013 8:26PM
(DEAR GOD!!! Is this STILL rumbling on!!!)
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Feb 2013 9:34PM
Damn right. We need to know about this s@&t.
13 Feb 2013 11:29PM

Quote:Anybody thinking of buying or have bought a D800 must read this technical guide,Thanks to Miptog who first posted this link on page 3 of this forum.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf
and you must read all of it !!

There’s a 4th edition of that PDF document here (your link has the 1st edition), which among other changes has an updated list of suggested lenses (page 32).

I see this document as a marketing thing – an attempt by Nikon to make people believe the D800 has such epic resolution that a special guide is needed to use it, when in fact the camera has barely 20 % more pixels linearly than the 20-something megapixel cameras that were popular for years – but it does include useful tips for people who’ve never figured out the importance of keeping the camera still, among other things you should really know before dropping two grand on a camera.
johneh 7 6 England
15 Feb 2013 2:42PM
Have been reading through some of the comments and cannot understand why the complainant is constantly referring to the size of the sensor. Surely he is referring to the resolution, ie. number of pixels on the sensor. The physical size of the sensor on the D700/800 etc. are all the same. Personally I am a Canon user but I have a friend who uses a D800 professionally and I have heard of no such complaints.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.