Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 1

Nikon D8200

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ChrisJD
ChrisJD  496 forum posts Scotland
26 Jul 2014 - 4:31 PM

Now this may be a wind up - want to make this clear up front.

I recently bought an Olympus Stylus compact for a holiday where I wanted the simplicity of a compact. Great camera, but thats another story. I bought it from John Lewis in Edinburgh and when I was there a Nikon rep was working behind the counter. I asked her the obvious question - "where's the D400" and she smiled and said the next 2 cameras to be watching for were the D810 and the D8200. This was back in April and the D810 is here....

She wouldn't be drawn on details so I have no more to offer. Makes you wonder though!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jul 2014 - 4:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome
26 Jul 2014 - 6:45 PM

Chris, I go in to the Watford branch of John Lewis at least once a week and they also have a Nikon rep? working behind the counter complete with Nikon T shirt and camera strap. it seems nearly all branches that sell cameras have this person, here's the twist, they are all JL staff who have been on a short product course at Nikon UK or a Nikon person came to the shop for the product introduction and are there to dissuade you from buying another brand. It would be interesting if Canon decided to do the same thing.

thewilliam
26 Jul 2014 - 11:34 PM

Many seasoned photographers have learned that it doesn't make a huge difference which camera they use.

I'm convinced that most new models are introduced just to make punters spend money that they don't need to spend. Have you noticed that new consumer models are released every few months whereas professional models are superceded far less often?

Jestertheclown
27 Jul 2014 - 12:24 AM

Quote: Many seasoned photographers have learned that it doesn't make a huge difference which camera they use.

I'm convinced that most new models are introduced just to make punters spend money that they don't need to spend. Have you noticed that new consumer models are released every few months whereas professional models are superceded far less often?

That sounds about right.
I found a comparison article a few days ago in which a D7100 went up against a D300S; the idea being to see which deserved the claim to be the "Flagship DX camera."
The D7100 was considered to be the winner because of its superior ISO capabilities and the fact that it was cheaper. In all other respects, there was really nothing between them.

thewilliam
27 Jul 2014 - 10:17 AM

Sometime in the future, perhaps some techie guru will suggest that the user's skill does matter after all.

petebfrance
27 Jul 2014 - 10:34 AM

Quote: ...asked her the obvious question - "where's the D400" and she smiled and said the next 2 cameras to be watching for were the D810 and the D8200. ...!

D8200? Where would that fit in the range?

Quote: Many seasoned photographers have learned that it doesn't make a huge difference which camera they use.

I'm almost convinced to upgrade my Fuji S5600 from 2005/6, but so far nothing really has shouted 'buy me.' Well, it's not quite true about nothing shouting 'buy me' - there've been loads of them, but none that I have been convinced that I would want to use instead. It 'helps' that it's very difficult to get hands-on with any of them other than ordering and rejecting....and I rarely print anything, and am just getting to know this oneWink

Last Modified By petebfrance at 27 Jul 2014 - 10:35 AM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
27 Jul 2014 - 12:39 PM

How old is the D300? if they were going to release a D400 they would have done so by now. My guess is they were going to before the Tsunami, but that changed everything. Probably now restrict "cropped" sensor to consumer market (larger market, lower cost, lower build quality), with most emphasis for Pros and enthusiasts going on full frame, the D600/610 I guess is the successor to the D300.

redhed17
redhed17  8658 forum posts England
27 Jul 2014 - 12:43 PM

You can take a picture with any camera. Loads of people using phones and are very happy with what they get. Great. Smile Get them in low light, and/or with a moving subject or with a subject in difficult light and the cameraphone limitations may become apparent. It's in your pocket all the time though isn't it. Wink lol

Generally new cameras are introduced with new features, sometimes huge leaps in technology, but often minor improvements. The buyer will have to decide whether the new features are must haves, and worth upgrading.

Certain camera features will help in getting a better images, or make the image easier to capture. Otherwise everyone would be happy with a cameraphones. The finnal format and use of the image may influence what is 'good enough'. Wink

Quote: I found a comparison article a few days ago in which a D7100 went up against a D300S; the idea being to see which deserved the claim to be the "Flagship DX camera."
The D7100 was considered to be the winner because of its superior ISO capabilities and the fact that it was cheaper. In all other respects, there was really nothing between them.

So if the hi ISO performance and/or resolution was important, then the D7100 was a must have upgrade for some D300/S users. Smile But for others the Frame Rate and larger Buffer size were too important to give up to upgrade even with half the number of pixels. Smile

You pays your money, or not, Wink and you makes your choice. Wink

Nikon, Canon, or anyone else, haven't made a camera to better the one I have, so I don't spend any money on cameras just for the sake of the newest shiniest thing.

If you do buy the shiny new things every time though, great, I hope you're enjoying what you do, and not getting into too much debt. Wink You are keeping the Photo industry ticking along. Well done.

Last Modified By redhed17 at 27 Jul 2014 - 12:46 PM
redhed17
27 Jul 2014 - 1:00 PM

Quote: How old is the D300? if they were going to release a D400 they would have done so by now. My guess is they were going to before the Tsunami, but that changed everything. Probably now restrict "cropped" sensor to consumer market (larger market, lower cost, lower build quality), with most emphasis for Pros and enthusiasts going on full frame, the D600/610 I guess is the successor to the D300.

I think you are right with regard to a D300/S replacement unfortunately. Nikon would want D300/S users to think that the D600/610 was a replacement for their camera because it fits into the price point in their range doesn't it! Sad If only that is why people buy cameras. Nikon seem to want/expect all D300/S users to upgrade to Full Frame. To do that with a lot of equivalent features is something between a D800/810 and a D3/D4. But that doesn't exist, and it would be many thousands of s, and I don't want Full Frame anyway. :-/

Hopefully the D8200 mentioned here could be the camera some remaining D300/S users are waiting for, should it appear/exist, or maybe the rumoured Canon 7DII turns out to be that camera. Time will tell. My camera is still taking good pics, sure, there are cameras which are better for certain features, but as a whole, it is the best camera for me. Smile

ChrisJD
28 Jul 2014 - 7:56 PM

Interesting points here.

Nikon/Canon etc do release consumer cameras frequently - I guess the main reason for this is that they are camera manufacturers and need to keep the market going. If they didn't they wouldn't make money and they'd be out of business. Comparsions are pop artists - new album every year and we've heard it all before. No album and we find someone else to entertain us.

I'm interested in the D400 mainly because I waited for a good few years for one to appear to replace my D200. I didn't consider the D300 a big enough improvement (I don't buy all the shiny new camerasWink)! Alas I soon decided that the D400 was in the same category as the Loch Ness Monster and moved on. I did upgrade to full frame. I don't think pic quality is much better but my D200 was dead and the D7200 has too small a buffer for my needs. No choice for me!

Where would the D8200 sit? Either in a new range above the D7200 or at the bottom of Loch Ness with the D400...

thewilliam
28 Jul 2014 - 10:16 PM

I give thanks that so many punters feel the urge to change their cameras at frequent intervals, especially when they have "professional" models. This allows Nikon et al to work with a bigger production run and so make them cheaper.

Then the impecunious can buy the cast-offs.

Ultimately, the best camera is the one that you're holding when you need to take pictures!

thewilliam
28 Jul 2014 - 10:19 PM

I wonder whether Nikon intend to continue with "serious" DX cameras because there are no "proper" wide-angle primes made for DX with the exception of the 10.5mm fish-eye. The really wide FX primes are big, heavy and expensive!

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2014 - 10:22 PM

Similarly though, you could question which way they're looking. I can't believe how long it's been since the 200mm micro was updated. This should be a priority for a future in FX work in my opinion.

redhed17
28 Jul 2014 - 10:47 PM

Quote: Then the impecunious can buy the cast-offs.

Impecunious, well done. Had to go and look that one up. lol

Nikon Rumors have been vaguely talking, as they do, Wink have been mentioning a D9300 rather than a D8200. Either name could be as likely as the other. :-/ lol

ChrisJD
29 Jul 2014 - 8:17 PM

I think it's Nikon themselves that start these rumours. How many threads of free Nikon publicity are there on sites like this one? D400, D8200, D9300..... where does it end? Thewilliam is bang on that the best camera is the one in your hand.

And as for the 200 micro, I jumped ship and went for the Sigma 180 f2.8. Like you I thought it should be a priority, along with the 300 f4. Nikon seem to be more interested in the exotic primes though - the recent 800 and the new 400 flouride lenses have come along and I can see a 500 and 600 f4 following in a year or 2.

Anyway, I read somewhere that there's a new portable superzoom with 18-600 range, constant f2.8 aperature and a built in 1.4 teleconverter on the way so no-one will need any more lenses. Until the updated version with VRIII comes out next year...Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.