Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon D90 + Kenko AF extension tubes + Tamron 90mm advise

Kipz 2 2 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2012 9:27PM
Hi
I own a nikon D90 camera and wanted to use my Tamron 90mm lens with my Kenko AF extension tubes. But when I started using it, after about a minute the battery flashes low and I'm unable to take any photographs. I decided to try my Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens with the extension tubes and it works fine. I have been trying to find out online what the problem could be or if anyone else has had this same problem.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 299 4 France
10 Sep 2012 7:25AM
Sounds like the links between camera and tubes and lens are sending incomplete info back to the cameras computer...check the back of your manual for battery warning signs and the trouble shooting section. If it works fine afterwards with a nikon lens its not shorting the battery or it would be flat. The words nikon include about using non nikon accessories are not just a badly hidden sales pitch, like all manufacturers they only release construction data as they please and some kit does not talk to some cameras.
Were the lens and tubes pre digital?
10 Sep 2012 9:01AM
Nikon (and Canon) regularly update how their in camera AF works - and do not consult independent lens makers first.
It is not uncommon for an older independent lens to require an upgrade to work with some bodies or accessories.
I think the Kenko still have 7 electric contacts on the bayonet, and think the D90 has 7 rather than 8 lens throat contacts. I do not know how many contacts your Tamron has - but as indicated there is a likely issue with one of the contacts.
If you just bought the Tamron (or the tubes) mail order in the UK you can return them for a refund under the Distance Selling Regulations.
Kipz 2 2 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2012 11:36AM
Hi thanks for responding
I've had the Nikon D90 brought new and have had since October 2009
The lenses are:
Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP DI Macro 1:1 (Nikon AF D) I brought new about a year ago.
Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D brought new and have had since 2010

Kenko DG AF Extension Tube 36+20+12 , The Kenko extension tubes I brought recently on ebay. They are apparently as new. They didnít come in their original packaging but looking at them they do seem like new condition, hardly been used.

I had seen on flickr and Youtube, others using the D90 +Kenko extension tubes+ Tamron lens using the same combination all together.

I have looked at the contacts and the Tamron has 8 throat contacts.
My Nikon 50mm has 5. The Kenko has 7.
I also own a Sigma wide angle lens 10-20mm and this has 10 throat contacts, I tried this with the tubes to see if the low battery would come up but it also worked fine.

I have been trying out the Kenko extension tubes 20mm and the 12mm with the Tamron and have found this so far has been working fine and no low battery. If I use the 36 with the Tamron or the 36 plus 12 or 20mm this is also working fine.

I have found putting them all together the battery warning is still coming up. I thought you could use all three together as a combination. I wondered if the weight of the tubes and lens on the body could affect the camera. Or could it need more battery power for all three extension tubes plus the lens.
10 Sep 2012 12:40PM
Could there be a lack of "umph" in the battery to provide the return signals thru all the contacts and distances involved or could there be a "poor" contact at some point?....also is the battery getting old and not sending out sufficient power?
Kipz 2 2 United Kingdom
10 Sep 2012 3:47PM
The battery came with the d90 2009, I have used my camera a lot and for a photography course, I haven't had any problems with the battery except for this. I put it in the charger after the low battery shows and the charger is saying its charged. But I think it might be useful having another battery anyway than relying on one and it would be good to see if this does make a difference.

I wonder if a battery grip would this add extra power? I don't know a lot about battery grips. I saw this set up on flickr is what I was trying to achieve: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lefty_g/3971917980/?reg=1&src=comment

I sent emails to Nikon, Tamron and Kenko and they just responded that they don't support other makes on/ with their products.

I asked a camera online shop and they think/guess it could be there is too much electrical resistance with the additional set of contacts.

Thanks for your response I really appreciate it.
10 Sep 2012 4:04PM

Quote:I asked a camera online shop and they think/guess it could be there is too much electrical resistance with the additional set of contacts.

My guess would be that as well....a power grip would provide some extra as they do improve the fps rate for action sequences but it may still be a poor contact and there is no guarantee that the money would be well spent. As a final point I have always used manual focus for very close work as the whirring and hunting of auto lenses at very close distances can annoy bugs ect.
11 Sep 2012 10:01PM

Quote:
I have looked at the contacts and the Tamron has 8 throat contacts.
My Nikon 50mm has 5. The Kenko has 7.
I also own a Sigma wide angle lens 10-20mm and this has 10 throat contacts, I tried this with the tubes to see if the low battery would come up but it also worked fine.

I presume the Tamron works OK when not using the tubes.
On a detail your Tamron may be a G version - all Nikon G lenses have the D function - the Tamron in theory does not need 8 contacts if it is screwdriver AF only.
Your Nikon 50mm is an AF-d screwdriver AF version - based on 5 contacts.
Several functions are mechanically signaled on screwdriver AF lenses.
Nikon G lenses transmit more functions electronically - and may have 7, 8 or 10 contacts.
My guess is one of the "extra" contacts on Tamron is not signaling as it should. You could try carefully taping over just 1 of the 3 extra contacts on the Tamron in rotation with sellotape or similar to see if any combination works OK.
You could also contact Tamron - provided you kept the original receipt they may be able to upgrade the Tamron lens more possibly no more than return postage.
11 Sep 2012 10:16PM

Quote:
I asked a camera online shop and they think/guess it could be there is too much electrical resistance with the additional set of contacts.

If the contacts are clean
1/ any extra electrical resistance would be negligible
2/ as the battery only indicates a problem, but does not go flat, a short circuit in the tubes seems unlikely.
3/ digressing slightly Nikon lenses which accept Nikon AF converters have an extra CPU in the lens to detect (via contacts 9 and 10) the presence of a converter, and to signal instructions to the body to alter the aperture read out. This extra CPU does not flatten a D90 battery, so another inch of wire in the tubes should make no difference.
Spangler 4 16
16 Sep 2012 7:32PM
I have noticed, with my Kenko tubes, that of they are used in combinations of two or more they sometimes misbehave if they are not in the right "order" and the camera will display an error message.

Andrew

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.