Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

nikon d90 or d200

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    robert5
    robert5  1379 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2012 - 2:57 PM

thinking of buying a back up camera so its between the D90 of D200

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Nov 2012 - 2:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 3:01 PM

Backup to what?

Nick

robert5
    robert5  1379 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2012 - 3:05 PM

back up to NikonD3

paulcookphotography

For build quality and affordability, i'd have to say the D200. Unless you need/want something a little smaller and lighter that has the video capabilities of course

Andy_Cundell
    8 Nov 2012 - 3:58 PM

I have a D90 and love it. The D90 out performs the D200 in many ways apart from the weather sealed body and a few other little things!Grin The video isnt much to scream about to be honest.

look here for more info on the differences

Andy

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41207 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Nov 2012 - 4:26 PM

Wouldn't you prefer a full frame back up? A D700 perhaps, if you're in that ballpark?

Nick

thewilliam
    8 Nov 2012 - 4:28 PM

The D200 has the weather sealing and durability that you'd expect of a 2nd division Nikon and it'll work happily with AIS lenses.

I bought one for walkabout because it's a lot smaller than the D3 series that I use for work, about half the weight and is now seriously cheap. Image quality is good but high ISO performance is lamentable.

The D90 feels like a toy!

timbo
    timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Nov 2012 - 4:32 PM

I've had both. D200 is well built but D90 takes better pictures. For me the image capturing abilty out weighs the build quality especially as it's to be a back up camera.

User_Removed
    8 Nov 2012 - 6:19 PM

The D90 - technically - is the FAR superior camera.

I have owned a D200 and now have the D300. The D90 shares the same sensor as the D300 - and the sensor differences between the D200 and the D300 are planets apart.

Paul_Anthony
    8 Nov 2012 - 6:31 PM

Quote: The D90 feels like a toy!

Nonsense! The D90 is an exceptionally well put together camera. Coupled with the battery grip it fits comfortably in the hand and is a joy to use.

I still have both a D90 & D200, I use the D90 as a walkabout camera and would say that, as mike says, technically it is a far better piece of kit. The sensor is superior and the lager LCD screen is also a useful addition. I rarely use the D200 for anything other than Passport photographs in the studio (you don't really need 24 million pixel passports).

No doubt the D200 is more robust but unless you are planning on giving your kit a battering then the D90 is the one I would choose (get a battery grip though, it improves the feel and functionality of the camera no end.

Paul

User_Removed
    8 Nov 2012 - 6:53 PM

Don't want to rain on your parade - but technological advances in the past year have been so great that you really need to ask why you want to buy an "old tech" model when, for much the same money, you could get something like the D3200. It may be a consumer, "entry level" machine but, in the respects that really matter, it is miles ahead of the models you mention.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Nov 2012 - 6:54 PM
    Sooty_1
    8 Nov 2012 - 7:41 PM

Unfortunately, it may not work with all the OPs lenses. They don't work with AFD or earlier as there is no mechanical linkage.

If you want a DX body, for the difference in price, I'd suggest a D300 rather than a D200, but both are good. Or a secondhand D7000, but then you are getting closer to a D700 price....and so it goes on.

Nick

thewilliam
    8 Nov 2012 - 7:58 PM

It really comes down to what the OP wants to do with the camera.

I'm used to working with cameras that are more or less bullet-proof. Although I'm careful, things do get dropped or used in the rain from time to time. The D3200 actually gives slightly better image quality than a D3X when it's brand new and straight out of the box. All that entry-level Nikons lack is durability and flexibility of use with legacy lenses.

Unfortunately I want to use my collection of manual-focus primes so my walkabout is a D200 rather than a D3200. But I'm strange!

Cagey75
    Cagey75  342 forum posts Ireland
    15 Nov 2012 - 10:08 AM

D90.

I've owned both, the D200 was a great camera. Built well, and gave decent image quality. But push it above ISO 400 and you're into noise-central. I exchanged mine for the D90, which is now a back up to my D800. It's more than capable.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.