Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon Df

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
uganda
uganda  6 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2013 - 9:59 AM

With the announcement of the Nikon Df, I have been trying to discover the pros/cons of a variety of cameras such as the D800 and the D4. I have come across various reviews comparing the D800 and the D4; some people preferring the the D800, others the D4

Which would you choose? Would you choose the Df?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Nov 2013 - 9:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
8 Nov 2013 - 10:20 AM

If shooting sports / wildlife I would go with the D4. Landscapes Portraits etc the D800 or D800e. The Df to me is a waste of money compared to a D800 unless you just like the retro look and nothing better to do with your cash.

I have been waiting on a D300 replacement as in the D400 but it seems nikon aint playing ball. So im keeping my D300 and getting a D800 after xmas.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 8 Nov 2013 - 10:37 AM
adamduckworth
8 Nov 2013 - 10:25 AM

Or you think of it like this...

The D4 is the most amazing low-light camera - way better than D800 (and yes, I do have both).

And the Df has the same sensor as the D4 but a huge amount cheaper.

GarethRobinson
8 Nov 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yep thats another way to look at it.

theorderingone
8 Nov 2013 - 2:26 PM

Quote: Or you think of it like this...

The D4 is the most amazing low-light camera - way better than D800 (and yes, I do have both).

And the Df has the same sensor as the D4 but a huge amount cheaper.

Unfortunately, the Df lacks many of the features that actually make the D4 expensive, (build, af, shutter, continuous shooting speed etc) but it is nearly three quarters of the price.

I also find it quite bizarre that it's not available in the UK without the re-stylised 50mm lens.

Hopefully the price will drop in time, and it will be available as a body only option. then it will make more sense.

thewilliam
8 Nov 2013 - 3:07 PM

Does style ever come cheap?

theorderingone
8 Nov 2013 - 3:35 PM

I suppose it will depend whether style is important to you or not. I couldn't care less what it looks like. I'm more bothered that it has the D4 sensor inside.

For me, I see the same way as I saw the D700. Basically a good low-light camera at a justifiable price. Shame the Df's price isn't really what I'd call justifiable. For that price, I may as well stump up a little more, get the D4 and have better AF, build, battery like and a more durable shutter and without a surplus to requirements decorative 50mm lens.

Neither option is a possibility with what I earn though. I'm sure this will be the case for many others in a similar situation to me.

uganda
uganda  6 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2013 - 6:23 PM

Thanks so far - the type of work I do is available light portraits
I'm more concerned about performance that looks (I've currently got a D700)

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 9 Feb 2014 - 9:02 AM
779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Nov 2013 - 8:38 PM

Looking at your site, which I have come across before. If you have the money get the D4 it's a stunning camera to work with. If you think you need masses of MPs then well the D800. But from your site I can't see why you'd need all those MPs. But, if you don't need the ISO performance, the frame and frame rate then maybe the cheaper option of the D800 would work. If you can get to hold them both I would, the D4 is nicely designed, the angle of the shutter button is different to the other Nikons. They have designed the camera to be held all day.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62360 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
8 Nov 2013 - 8:46 PM

If the price falls to near the street price to the D700 (prior to D800 announcement) as seems likely; with more MP and much better high ISO noise it will be a great option compared to what the D700 was.
Part of the target market is pre AIS lens owners. Theses lenses can only be focused by turning the focus ring and can only have the aperture set by turning an aperture ring. Setting the shutter speed by a ring on the body matches how it was in the era of these lenses.
As either a retro camera for retro equipment owners or a D700 replacement (subject to the price falling) it should attract good sales.
On another forum I frequent most of the initial comment was similar to that of theorderingone ((or worse) but in a forum poll a very high 42% said they intended to buy it.
As a D800 and D7100 owner it is not for me, but if I owned only a D700 or had several pre AIS lenses I would certainly give it very careful consideration.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62360 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
8 Nov 2013 - 9:24 PM

An extra comment is the image rendition of modern lenses is much higher contrast than manual focus lenses, the old MF 105 mm f2.5 portrait lens possibly being the best example. The best of these old optics could rise quickly in price.
Canon cannot directly compete because of the change to the EOS mount.

Last Modified By LenShepherd at 8 Nov 2013 - 9:25 PM
dandeakin
dandeakin  6187 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thom hogan gave a good analysis as to why he didn't think it was a desirable upgrade for the average D700 user. As a D700 user I'd agree.

Retro dials don't hold much appeal to me. I also didn't realise you couldn't use AIS lenses on any of the existing current top end bodies (not that I own any).

If they'd put the D4 sensor into a D800 type body then I'd be interested if it was priced sensibly. That would be a great upgrade for the average D700 user. Doing so wouldn't affect their D800 sales as people could choose between massive megapixels vs massive ISO performance in similar bodies.

2700 seems crazy when you get get a D800 for far less. I would guess that a mint D3s would also be an option at that price.

The street price of the D700 when the D800 was launched was about 1750. Which isn't far off the current D800 price.

779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Nov 2013 - 7:48 AM

I don't think it's aimed at people wanting to upgrade from a D700.

The Df is a nice looking camera with an amazing sensor for someone who has the money for something a bit different. I don't think this release should be viewed in the same way other camera releases from Nikon are. It doesn't fit into the range in terms of upgrades and pro use/armature use.

I want one - not really as an upgrade but as something to take with me when I'm not working. Although I would use it to replace my D700 which is my second body mainly because of the ISO range the Df offers.

Quote: 2700 seems crazy when you get get a D800 for far less.

I don't think you can compare the Df with the D800 in the same way you can't compare the D4 with the D800. Very different beasts.

thewilliam
9 Nov 2013 - 10:26 AM

I get the impression that Nikon has aimed the Df at enthusiastic gentlefolk, normally the preserve of Leica, rather than the vulgar professional or would-be professional.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123785 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2013 - 11:13 AM

I suspect enthusiastic gentlefolk = well heeled and probably older amateur photographers?

Definitely professional photographers = vulgarity.

Peter Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.