Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon Df Official Announcement Tonight

4 Nov 2013 11:05PM
Looks like the new retro FF Nikon will be formally announced in the next few hours. There some leaked pictures over at NikonRumors that look interesting. Lots of manual controls, though no mention of anything to aid manual focusing yet.

Price wise, Amazon's US site seem to have posted their page early (and now pulled it) but not before someone grabbed a screenshot - the US price is about $2700 body only - so I guess we'd be looking at 2K+ here in the UK.

Andy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Nov 2013 11:16PM
At 2k I think my money will go with a d800 to be honest.
joshwa e2
4 710 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 9:40AM
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 9:43AM
It looks nice but what is the point? A nice bit of bling for those who can afford it? It certainly brings back fond memories.
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 9:54AM
That overshot my price estimate by about a grand Sad
meyeview e2
5 734 Scotland
5 Nov 2013 9:54AM
calumet uk are showing the price at 2749.00 for the black or silver body.
how can Nikon hold its head up with a price like that?

it is style over substance.

they have lost this battle against the Sony A7, in my opinion.
the D800 is a better camera and it is 1000 cheaper than the Df.
no contest.
come on Nikon, leave the overpricing for style to Leica.
you have let down a lot of your customers with this.

the new slogan should read.....
'Pure Photography. For The Rich'
pablophotographer 3 496 187
5 Nov 2013 9:57AM
I welcome the new camera. For what it can offer I think we should congratulate Nikon for putting all that technology in such a well designed austere styled, yet practical, package. I might have not had the D800 in my hands but I remember well the D200, a predecessor which felt like a big tank. What is your objective? to built muscles or be less tired and work for longer? The end result is always the picture not the medium used to shoot it.
Leif 9 722
5 Nov 2013 10:18AM
At 2000 it would sell, at the asking price, I wonder how many will leave the shops? Not many is my guess. I suspect this is another instance of Nikon UK screwing early adopters, then letting the price drift down to a more sensible level. It is very cynical behaviour in my opinion.

It still leaves Nikon without an answer to the relatively compact Sony mirrorless cameras.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 10:19AM
First impressions look good; as always I will wait for less hysterical reviews particularly with respect to the quality of the camera's output and the almost inevitable price drop before deciding whether I really need/want the new model; I agree that the price is well offputting, I suppose Nikon are after the Leica jewellery aficionados.

Peter.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 10:59AM

Quote:At 2000 it would sell, at the asking price, I wonder how many will leave the shops? Not many is my guess. I suspect this is another instance of Nikon UK screwing early adopters, then letting the price drift down to a more sensible level. It is very cynical behaviour in my opinion.

It still leaves Nikon without an answer to the relatively compact Sony mirrorless cameras.

That's launch price. Most camera bodies drop about 20% when they hits the shelves which will bring it to the 2000 mark and over time it will drop from there. 'Screwing early adopters' is not really a valid criticism - everyone (and I mean everyone) knows how pricing works on launch so if they want to pay the premium to be able to say 'look I got one before you did' then that is for them to decide.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
5 Nov 2013 11:02AM

Quote:I agree that the price is well off-putting, I suppose Nikon are after the Leica jewellery aficionados. Peter.

I'd always thought that Leica was the appropriate marque for enthusiastic gentlefolk, whereas Nikon is for those who aspire to be, or are, vulgar professionals!
5 Nov 2013 11:59AM
lol @ William Grin Grin.

Peter
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 3:00PM
why must professionals be vulgar? Why not "upstanding", or "dignified"? Wink
5 Nov 2013 3:27PM
Vulgar is good ...Grin
JohnParminter 7 1.3k 14 England
5 Nov 2013 3:55PM
If you could load it with film I think I'd buy one.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.