Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon Df Official Announcement Tonight

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

andymcdonald
4 Nov 2013 - 11:05 PM

Looks like the new retro FF Nikon will be formally announced in the next few hours. There some leaked pictures over at NikonRumors that look interesting. Lots of manual controls, though no mention of anything to aid manual focusing yet.

Price wise, Amazon's US site seem to have posted their page early (and now pulled it) but not before someone grabbed a screenshot - the US price is about $2700 body only - so I guess we'd be looking at 2K+ here in the UK.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Nov 2013 - 11:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8998 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2013 - 11:16 PM

At 2k I think my money will go with a d800 to be honest.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 4 Nov 2013 - 11:19 PM
joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4605 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
5 Nov 2013 - 9:40 AM

Full details here with UK price etc
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nikon-df-classic-digital-slr-announced-23343

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122319 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 9:43 AM

It looks nice but what is the point? A nice bit of bling for those who can afford it? It certainly brings back fond memories.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 9:54 AM

That overshot my price estimate by about a grand Sad

meyeview
meyeview e2 Member 5618 forum postsmeyeview vcard Scotland
5 Nov 2013 - 9:54 AM

calumet uk are showing the price at 2749.00 for the black or silver body.
how can Nikon hold its head up with a price like that?

it is style over substance.

they have lost this battle against the Sony A7, in my opinion.
the D800 is a better camera and it is 1000 cheaper than the Df.
no contest.
come on Nikon, leave the overpricing for style to Leica.
you have let down a lot of your customers with this.

the new slogan should read.....
'Pure Photography. For The Rich'

pablophotographer

I welcome the new camera. For what it can offer I think we should congratulate Nikon for putting all that technology in such a well designed austere styled, yet practical, package. I might have not had the D800 in my hands but I remember well the D200, a predecessor which felt like a big tank. What is your objective? to built muscles or be less tired and work for longer? The end result is always the picture not the medium used to shoot it.

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
5 Nov 2013 - 10:18 AM

At 2000 it would sell, at the asking price, I wonder how many will leave the shops? Not many is my guess. I suspect this is another instance of Nikon UK screwing early adopters, then letting the price drift down to a more sensible level. It is very cynical behaviour in my opinion.

It still leaves Nikon without an answer to the relatively compact Sony mirrorless cameras.

peterjones
peterjones  123992 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 10:19 AM

First impressions look good; as always I will wait for less hysterical reviews particularly with respect to the quality of the camera's output and the almost inevitable price drop before deciding whether I really need/want the new model; I agree that the price is well offputting, I suppose Nikon are after the Leica jewellery aficionados.

Peter.

mikehit
mikehit  56692 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 10:59 AM

Quote: At 2000 it would sell, at the asking price, I wonder how many will leave the shops? Not many is my guess. I suspect this is another instance of Nikon UK screwing early adopters, then letting the price drift down to a more sensible level. It is very cynical behaviour in my opinion.

It still leaves Nikon without an answer to the relatively compact Sony mirrorless cameras.

That's launch price. Most camera bodies drop about 20% when they hits the shelves which will bring it to the 2000 mark and over time it will drop from there. 'Screwing early adopters' is not really a valid criticism - everyone (and I mean everyone) knows how pricing works on launch so if they want to pay the premium to be able to say 'look I got one before you did' then that is for them to decide.

thewilliam
5 Nov 2013 - 11:02 AM

Quote: I agree that the price is well off-putting, I suppose Nikon are after the Leica jewellery aficionados. Peter.

I'd always thought that Leica was the appropriate marque for enthusiastic gentlefolk, whereas Nikon is for those who aspire to be, or are, vulgar professionals!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 5 Nov 2013 - 11:02 AM
peterjones
5 Nov 2013 - 11:59 AM

lol @ William Grin Grin.

Peter

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93455 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2013 - 3:00 PM

why must professionals be vulgar? Why not "upstanding", or "dignified"? Wink

peterjones
5 Nov 2013 - 3:27 PM

Vulgar is good ...Grin

JohnParminter

If you could load it with film I think I'd buy one.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.