Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon Df Official Announcement Tonight

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4209 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2013 - 1:52 PM

I don't believe owning a high end camera is about showing it off in public.. The fact that a camera might be better than my skills does not matter to me. I find a lot of personal pleasure in owning, looking at and using quality stuff. Wasted on me, maybe, but if it pleases me............
This camera looks good to me and I think it will sell well
A Leica M9 and 50mm lens cost more than double the new Nikon and sells well. I bet many Leica owner don't get any better images than say with a Fuji X Pro. They just enjoy ownership.
If you want it and can afford it, buy it.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Nov 2013 - 1:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
7 Nov 2013 - 3:15 PM

My choice of kit was very different when I was an amateur. Fine cameras were a pleasure, both to own and use.

Now cameras are tools and an overhead so they're chosen for business reasons. I still use the digital equivalent of my old amateur camera-bodies and many of my old lenses are still very serviceable but the attitude has changed.

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4209 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2013 - 3:21 PM

You are right. I'm indulging my hobby. When I buy for my business I watch the pennies.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7718 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2013 - 3:26 PM

The advertising hype/style is an off-putter and this camera does look very expensive comparing it with a D800.

But how about looking at it this way - it has the guts of a D4, so if you view it in that light, sans the video you could see it as a bargain baby D4.

If you really want a camera that will give decent results down a coal mine [or in a very dark church], this is an enticing camera.

Not for me because I've decided smaller cameras will give me good enough results without breaking the bank or my back. But I can see how this would genuinely benefit some working photographers.

As for the average punter not being able to tell the difference between a smartphone and high quality kit - in some circumstances perhaps not - but Pros need something useful and versatile in all conditions.

I also think that whilst the majority of people won't be able to identify what's taken with which, on a gut level they will appreciate a well-taken image and the extra quality a Pro can get out of good kit.

From a personal point of view what a camera looks like is pretty low on my list of priorities.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314806 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2013 - 9:22 PM

At least my EM5 is affordable bling, I would need a mortgage for that Nikon Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014401 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 1:12 AM

The DF is for those who are mainly concerned with style, you know, the ones who go on group photo shoots.Wink

779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Nov 2013 - 7:05 AM

Quote: The DF is for those who are mainly concerned with style...

Anyone who knows me knows I have very little fashion style!

Quote: you know, the ones who go on group photo shoots.

There is absolutely no style in group photo shoots.

As has been said before - you can't forget the Df has the innards of the D4 which makes it a very very good camera and as said makes it a cheap D4. I see the Df as an excellent cheap second to replace my D700 in time and complement my D4. With good looks too. (the 700 is an excellent camera but the 6400 ISO limit seems tiny now)

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014401 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 7:24 AM

Just kidding, I wouldn't mind having one myself.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123842 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Nov 2013 - 7:45 AM

changed my mind, not that pretty after all: too fat and bulbous compared to the FM2n; won't be part of my jewellery box after all. Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.