Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon downloading issues

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    IOWAndy
    IOWAndy  5 United Kingdom
    27 Nov 2013 - 4:45 PM

I've just got a new Nikon D3200 after years of service with my D50. So installed the software on the pute and went out and took 200 odd shots and then tried to download them.

Firstly the pute didn't recognise the Nikon ... I got a box up saying D3200 detected and that was it. When I looked on device manager it was in "other device" so removed it and turned the camera on and it did the same.

So went online to Nikon and downloaded the latest version of their software and installed that. Still no joy. Took the SD card into work and downloaded using my SD card reader so now have copies at least. Brought the SD ccard reader home and plugged it into every USB port I have and the pute didn;t recognise it at all however if I plug in a USB device that has workled on the system before evrything is fine but plug in a new USB device / flash drive - nada! machine wont recognise it.

Microsoft have a "fix it" programme on their website for XP with service pack 3 which I ran ... still nothing and although the site says its a registry problem I have no idea how to do it manually or even what I would be looking for.

Anyone got any thoughts or had the same problem and fixed it????

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Nov 2013 - 4:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43914 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2013 - 4:55 PM

XP is no longer being supported and upgraded by Microsoft, so it may be the d3200 is too new for it. You may have to upgrade to a newer version of Windows.

Malc

IOWAndy
    27 Nov 2013 - 5:18 PM

Not according to Nikon who say that XP should be able to run the picture downloading software. I did think that was the case excelt for the SD card reader which is old and works perfectly on the works pute (running XP) but the pute at home won;t recognise it. Microsoft do say that its a registry problem and site cases which include digital cameras etc. Nikon say in their manual that in the event of the pute loading the camera in "other devices" to delete it and start again so think that its something they have come across before but I don't want to be forced into buying a new pute which is running Windows 8.

JohnParminter
    27 Nov 2013 - 5:18 PM

Andy, check in the D3200 menu that it is set to Mass Storage Device.

Try that first.

Jestertheclown
    27 Nov 2013 - 5:21 PM

Quote: plug in a new USB device / flash drive - nada! machine wont recognise it.

Are you saying that it won't recognise any new Usb/flash drive etc?

If that's the case, uninstal the Nikon software and try again. If they're then recognised, you know that the Nikon stuff was causing the problem.

You don't actually need the Nikon stuff anyway. Your machine should simply recognise your card or camera as another drive.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123127 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2013 - 6:04 PM

XP should recognise any usb flash drive and allow you to download the files. (I do it on a regular basis)

The age of the camera should have no bearing on this.

Support for XP ends on the 8th of April 2014 and what that means is that you'll not receive updates after that although the software will continue to run as before.

Ken.

ps, If it is a registry problem then downloading CCleaner may fix it for you?

Last Modified By franken at 27 Nov 2013 - 6:08 PM
    IOWAndy
    28 Nov 2013 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the comments guys! Have found that XP has a patch for SDHD cards over 4Gb which I will download and see if that does the trick. Otherwise I am at a loss as the pute picks up the 16Gb flash drive but not the 16Gb SDHD card.

It may be that the Nikon porgramme has overridden the original download settings and without nthe patch wont work much the same as iTunes did with my sound settings!

I do have CCleaner and didn't consider that so worth a punt!

Cheers

Andy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.