Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon dr-5/dr-6 right angle viewfinder for portraits?!

frankiej 3 12 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2013 10:42AM
Hi there,

I was wondering whether anyone has experience of using these? I do a lot of portraiture and I'm thinking of getting this as I think it may be less intimidating for the subjects, rather than having the camera to my face. What I've read of them so far, makes me think they're mainly for awkward angles, what I really want is a waist level viewfinder but unfortunately that would mean a return to film! Any comments appreciated

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gundog 1 624 Scotland
17 Sep 2013 4:27PM
A lot of cameras now have rotatable LCD screens that allow you to use them at waist-level just like in the good old days. But a right-angle viewer on an SLR viewfinder would also be usable. I think you'll get a Seagull one a bit cheaper than Nikon's own. The magification factor might also help with precise manual focussing if you are so inclined.
bobhp 2 19
18 Sep 2013 10:18AM
Hi Frankie,
Iv'e used right angle finders for many years and find them very useful, it is true that tilt-able rear screens and live view can do a similar job I just don't get on with them, as Gundog says the magnification is good for fine focusing in manual and I find the extra range of dioptre adjustment helps too, most of them rotate so that you can use them in portrait orientation which you may find helpful, I would estimate that around 90% of my shots using a tripod are with the angle finder and approx 15% of handheld, I must admit I don't do very much portrait work myself so I'm not sure how useful you will find this but I hope it helps. Grin
Regards Bob.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.