Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon ERR! and other horrendous faults

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bluemarkster
    15 Mar 2010 - 9:00 PM

Nikon ERR!
    Hi Has Nikon Cameras forgotten how to make a camera last more than 18 months? Or is it a deliberate ploy, -
    I have experienced two Nikon D70 cameras, two Nikon D50 camera's and one Nikon D80 all with similar top plate messages....

The camera works faultlessly for many shots, then at random the mirror/shutter locks, it then Displays ERR. Repeated pressing the shutter resets the system and sometimes it works, sometime it don't. (Search the web for more horror stores). My D70 replacement now has learnt a new trick, randomly displaying CHA or FOR and erasing the card, scrambling the data. And the Camera fault insurance policy I have taken out may not be worth the paper its printed on?
    Its a pity I have so many good Nikon lens or I could move maker... Got the arse!

(They now have a two year warranty is this for a reason)

Last Modified By bluemarkster at 15 Mar 2010 - 9:02 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Mar 2010 - 9:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    15 Mar 2010 - 9:08 PM

Clean your lens contacts - both lenses and camera. There's nothing wrong with the product.

That's why they are a world-leader.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 9:17 PM

One question that springs to mind is what memory cards are you using? Some of mine are over 4 years old and never had a problem with them They are all genuine Sandisk or Lexar as I don't trust some of the other brands and would not trust them with important images.

Been using a D3 for over 2 years with no issues, and a D200 for much longer than that.

Five cameras, one common feature. Sorry just my fault analysis mode switching in.

All cameras have horror stories, in fact on the internet that applies to just about any product. If we all believed every forum thread we could find on any product no one would ever buy anything again.

Last Modified By csurry at 15 Mar 2010 - 9:18 PM
    bluemarkster
    15 Mar 2010 - 9:38 PM

Lens contacts all clean, locked on carefully, kit looked after, dirt free, not dropped, agree when kit works, its works real well.
    Lens two new sigmas 10-20, 50mm macro, the rest are Nikon, all kit from new
    Cards are Kingston, Lexar Ultra, Fuji, any more ideas? welcome

User_Removed
    15 Mar 2010 - 9:44 PM

Sorry Mike.........................

....................................what are they called again? Tongue

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 10:32 PM

Quote: Has Nikon Cameras forgotten how to make a camera last more than 18 months?

I doubt it as all your cameras must be older than 18 months from date of manufacture. D50 released 2005, D70 released 2004, D80 released 2006.

I have to say you need to look for a common path in all of this. For example does the fault track specific cards? What type of batteries are you using? Are you connecting the cameras to computers?

Is it that the memory cards are a lot newer than the cameras?

cliffez
    cliffez  5139 forum posts
    15 Mar 2010 - 10:43 PM

Err: 'Camera Malfunction'. Release Shutter. If error persists or appears frequently, consult you Nikon Dealer.

For: Memory card has not been formatted.

CHR: Error accessing memory card. Used approved card. Check card contacts are clean/undamaged. Check damaged card has not damaged the card slot contacts?

From a Nikon instruction book.

cliffez
    15 Mar 2010 - 10:45 PM

Quote:
    Is it that the memory cards are a lot newer than the cameras?

. . . Thats the one I suspect?

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 10:47 PM

Question, do you ever re-format the cards in camera. I have found the best way is to format the camera in camera prior to use.

And it is possible for a damaged memory card to damage the connectors in cameras, so one card could damage the lot.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Mar 2010 - 10:54 PM

I have several Nikon bodies, One a D70 bought in 2004 has never displayed any problems what so ever, Still going strong today.

Same applies to my other Nikon bodies, Several of which have been around the clock countless times, Used in all weather conditions too.

Use only genuine batteries, Make sure lens & body contacts are clean, Use decent branded memory cards, Check that you have the very latest " Firmware " installed.

The fact that you have 3 bodies with problems, Suggests its a user issue rather than a product issue.

cliffez
    15 Mar 2010 - 10:55 PM

Approved Memory cards:

SanDisk
    Toshiba
    Panasonic
    Lexar Media

I had the 'For' and 'CHR' mesage come up. I was not formatting the card, just deleting. the card eventualy corrupted, black pictures, half pictures, the screen mesages. I was luck, format in camera, cleaned it up. Do it every time after I transfer now. By the way I use, SanDisk cards.

Last Modified By cliffez at 15 Mar 2010 - 11:01 PM
    Scotty
    Scotty  964 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2010 - 9:57 PM

Three different types of Nikon camera, all with the same faults?

It's not the camera, it has to be either a lens, card or user related issue...

I've had my D70 offshore, travelled in helicopters with it, subjected to salt air environments since 2004, and absolutely no probs whatsoever.

Are you storing any of your hardware next to a magnetic field or in extremes of heat / humidity? That's the only things I can think of to make different types of camera to fail so consistently. Either that, or if you connect the camera directly to your computer, could it be a software issue?

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73905 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2010 - 10:14 PM

The only time I've ever had problems is with one memory card (sandisc extreme iii) I've never had a problem with cheap cards. Been a synic I don't believe there are that many cf manufacturers and I'm sure many are rebadged like any other commercial product.

As others have said check other things too many cameras to be that unlucky. Also check the lenses on older lenses make sure aperture ring is locked or you get a ERR message if you inadvertantly move it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.