Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon have done it again!

peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 3:59PM
I am not proud of my Nikon cameras, ffs they are merely tools of the trade we require to try to get great images; I am not going to worship them as some great epitome of crass materialism.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Stubill e2
6 107 England
6 Jan 2012 4:11PM

Quote:Just wondering how long it took for Nikon to get to D4 from previous model (D3s?). and Canon to get to 1Dx from previous model (1Ds MK3?) (OK, I know it is a mix of 1Ds 3 and 1D4)

Nah. I was lucky enough to have a play with a pre-production 1DX a while back, and I don't perceive
it to be be a mix of anything. It's a totally new platform for Canon, not an upgrade to an existing model.
So, it seems they have been busy doing something Wink
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 4:17PM

Quote:I am not proud of my Nikon cameras, ffs they are merely tools of the trade we require to try to get great images; I am not going to worship them as some great epitome of crass materialism.

Are you sure your a Nikon owner Peter?? Wink
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Jan 2012 5:31PM

Quote: I was lucky enough to have a play with a pre-production 1DX

oooeerr.........Smile lol
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 6:58PM
The nice thing about the D4 is that, because its a Nikon, I don't lust after it (but having played with the 1DX - I so want one, if only to hear again the sound of that shutter at 14 frames per second! Grin )
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Jan 2012 7:49PM
ok, i stand corrected, looks like Canon did wake up now and then....Smile

Stubill e2
6 107 England
6 Jan 2012 8:40PM

Quote:I was lucky enough to have a play with a pre-production 1DX
oooeerr.........Smile lol

Yeah but, the price tag ruined the happy moment for me Tongue
csurry
12 9.2k 92
7 Jan 2012 10:30AM
Ah poor Cole.

Timing wise as I see it:

Canon announced early - got the market excited and then are taking longer to get the stock out to the customers.

Nikon appear to have learnt from previous announcements strategies where they would announce and then fail to deliver on the due date by simply delaying launch until stock is "ready to fulfil" demand.

Of course we still have to see if the cameras actually appear on the 16th Feb!

And there will be shortages (real or created) because that is how the price is kept high for the first six months or so

Different marketing strategies tis all.

Grin
8 Jan 2012 12:29PM
Nikon and Canon will have new high end pro sports photographer bodies out - 3 months before the Olympics Smile
If Nikon UK follow previous practice registered Nikon Pro Users will be given first delivery priority.
Beyond that can more than 5% of those reading this thread afford either model?
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2012 1:02PM
Lets just say Matt that I have no loyalty to either of the ugly sisters GrinGrin
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
8 Jan 2012 4:25PM

Quote:Nikon and Canon will have new high end pro sports photographer bodies out - 3 months before the Olympics Smile

This is one pair of cameras that won't be late. Sports snappers will need to prove them and gain that all-important unconcious competence before shooting the Olympics.
elowes e2
10 2.8k United Kingdom
8 Jan 2012 5:26PM
It only matters if you have a pass for the key events.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.