Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon L310 vs L810

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kevcampbell
    27 Oct 2012 - 11:08 AM

hi all, both of these are priced similar, and when searching google for reviews theres a few more reviews for the L810 than there is for the L310, from what i have seen and read the L310 seems to get better reviews and things said about it than the L810, it seems from what i have read is that the auto focus lets the L810 down from what some reviews say

when thinking back to when i read reviews on the L310 i cant remember there being any major issues like auto focus not working properly or anything

throughout my photography i only have ever owned point and shoot digital cameras, both of which have been under 100 price point, although i am not always going out every week or month shooting i would say i am a passionate photographer on a novice level

ive always loved the thought of getting a DSLR one day, but they are way out of my price range, and its probably a good thing that i move up in stages anyway which i guess i will be doing if i move from point and shoot digital cameras to bridge cameras

i have read quite alot of reviews on this site in the past but never thought of joining here before, this seems to be a very active community and nice place to be from what i have seen, so i thought why not register, so here is my first post of hopefully many more to come

im hoping some of you experts on this forum will be able to assist me in choosing the right bridge camera at the right budget (my budget obviously being what the L810 and L310 are priced at, which both seem very similar if you search around for the prices of both)

look forward to hearing from some of you

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Oct 2012 - 11:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ste_p0270
    ste_p0270  362 forum posts England
    27 Oct 2012 - 11:15 AM

why not save for a little longer until you can afford a DSLR?

argos *cough* do the entry level Nikon D3000 for about 299.
    the excellent D3100 can be had for about 329.

i know it won't help with your question at this point in time, but
    if you buy one of those bridge cameras now, by the time you come to
    sell it to fund a better camera, you won't get a lot for it.

there's also MPB who seem to have good prices on S/H equipment.

Last Modified By ste_p0270 at 27 Oct 2012 - 11:18 AM
    kevcampbell
    27 Oct 2012 - 11:25 AM

hi thanks for the reply

i like how you can take the bridge cameras anywhere too without having to carry around different lenses, and the weight obviously too

and the wife says i have a budget as it would be a christmas presentTongue

User_Removed
    27 Oct 2012 - 4:00 PM

Quote: Why not save for a little longer until you can afford a DSLR?

A few years ago I would have agreed with that advice but not anymore.

Only save up for a dSLR if you have a very positive reason for wanting one. Otherwise, think about a CSC as a decent step-up from a compact or bridge camera. You get much of the flexibility and IQ of the dSLR without the bulk.

But, either way, before upgrading to either, accept the fact that, with a dSLR or CSC, it is likely that within a couple of years (for some folk read that as a couple of months), you will have spent at least 10x as much on lenses and accessories as you paid for the camera body.

blanko70
    blanko70  3 United Kingdom
    28 Oct 2012 - 12:00 AM

Have you thought about going second hand? Lots of people knock ebay, but I've both bought and sold camera gear, never had any problems.

I find if you buy a camera about a year old you'll resell it in a year with minimal loss; the price drop happens the second you walk out of jessops. Your money might well stretch to a better second hand camera, the last generation of cameras isn't so different to the current. Review sites might make this seasons sensors sound a league apart, but in the real world, these days you won't notice so much. But then review sites depend on revenue from advertisers... Just saying.

Have you thought about an advanced compact? As these have the same size sensors as bridge cameras, but typically better lenses, I feel they are not a inferior choice to DSLRs, rather something worthwhile in their own right, plus they're smaller too, a real bonus... Have a look for a used Canon S95, Lumix LX3 or Samsung EX1, all have fast sharp lenses and will offer you great bang for buck... and RAW too. If you got to go new, the Nikon p310 seems to offer a lot for what it costs at a pretty low price, but no raw.

My first digital camera was a bridge, then spent (and spent) years of buying but never really liking DSLRs, but I've ditched the DSLRs and I've been using advanced compacts very happily. I recently switched to a CSC, but will be switching back again, as the small improvement in image noise doesn't outweigh all the things I love about my little cameras.

Last Modified By blanko70 at 28 Oct 2012 - 12:04 AM
    kevcampbell
    3 Nov 2012 - 11:21 AM

hi all, just an update

by the way, i read all your replies and appreciate all of what you said, so what you said did not go unnoticed Smile

anyway, as for the update, as of last night i am now an owner of a Nikon P510!

since last night i took a handful of photos, here are some of my favourites from the last night and some from this morningSmile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevcampbell/sets/72157631917368320/detail/

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.