Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon L820 or Nikon L830

11 Mar 2014 10:47PM
Hi,
I am looking at both the Nikon l820 and L830. Which has the better overall image quality? Which is best at full zoom, what is the digital fine zoom like on the Nikon L830? Are both good at night photography or is one better than the other. The L820 is on sale at the moment, but if the L830 is better then I pay the extra. Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Steve.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikesavage e2
12 260 2 England
12 Mar 2014 1:51AM
I'm not sure that anyone on here will be able to answer your questions from experience of the 2 cameras Stephen, as they're highly specific. Both cameras received 4-star reviews on this site, the L830 being reviewed just a couple of days ago. Unless the L830 has some specific feature you want that the L820 doesn't have, then I'd be tempted to go for the L820 if it's available at a knockdown price.
12 Mar 2014 9:41AM
Hi stephennic,

I'd suggest that you check both cameras "live" in store. In particular compare the functioning of their AF.
"Waggy AF" was an important issue in this series of Nikon's. Maybe L820 with a knockdown price would be better buy.
12 Mar 2014 11:02AM
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. The problem is its hard to find a store with both the same models in stock so its hard to compare. I wonder if they have a waggy AF or if its improved with the new model. I suppose the bottom line I want to know which has the best image quality. If you read both reviews, they both get similar ratings but they have different comments on image quality. Mmm what to do?

Cheers

Steve.
14 Mar 2014 8:06AM
@Steve

I would suggest to get that extra money and grab L830.

Nikon put out 3 cameras in this very same lineup in only 17 months. Ok, I know that development and marketing are active non-stop but for us customers the situation can be a lil' bit weird if not confusing. You buy L810, and in few months there comes L820, then you haven't read all its reviews, and bang! there is L830.

L830 should be better than L820 and L810. I'd isolate a waggy, slow and troublesome AF especially on L810. Respresentatives in some countries (still) keep denying the issue but hey, just check all the numerous reviews around the web.

It would be interesting to test Nikon's new P530 and P600. I wander if they keep the quality to the promises.

Personally, I believe we customers are victims of the manufacturers' marketing twists. Aren't we?
14 Mar 2014 1:40PM
Hi,

Yes it does get confusing. It comparing photos on the web, the L820 seems to have better pictures than the p530. The P600 looks great, look at the dpreview website and the Nikon forum there. They say it probably beats the canon sx50 for image quality. However its nearly double the price of the L830. At the moment i can get the L820 for $174 and the L830 for $264. I want to be able to shoot landscape photos, panorama shots and of the moon. It sounds like the L830 has a better focusing especially on video and better stabalisation than the L820, but not many reviews to compare yet .
Cheers
Steve.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.