Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon Lens Help

Stu666 2 5
3 Sep 2012 1:16PM
Hello there

I am just making the big move from Sony DSLR over to Nikon. I have just got a 5100 body only kit and am now faced with the challenge of choosing the right lens!
(I am a former Sony A580 user - seemed a logical choice of camera)

I have my prime lenses spotted already. will be replacing my Sony/minolta lenses with the Nikon equivalent so no worries there.

My concern is my main walk about lens was the Sony 16-80mm which was/is a fantastic lens. I am trying to do my homework and find the equivalent. At first glance it looks obvious as the 16-85 seems very useful but I am a little overwhelmed by the vast choice available!!

Any help or suggestions would be more than welcome. I have a max of 450 so am looking at second hand or possibly a mid range new purchase.

Cheers Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 1:35PM
the 18-70 nikkor is one of the best performing lenses you can get for your money, there are loads of them on the flea bay and its one of the sharpest lenses in my bag. they have been around since the D100 and was the kit lens for that camera and at the time it was pro eqipment. its not up to the 17-55 Nikkor but its not far behind.

i have seen them well under a hundred second hand and you can pay that for a 20 year old 50mm.

check them out, i cant see why it would work with your camera, i used mine on d200 and d300s

Phil
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 1:51PM
You have to be careful, as far as I know, the 5xxx series (and the 3xxx, d40 series) don't have mechanical linkages for the AF, so older AF lenses have to be used manually on these bodies.
There is a compatibity chart on the Nikon website.

Nick
3 Sep 2012 1:59PM
Stu666 2 5
3 Sep 2012 2:00PM
Many thanks!!

Looks like a good contender, checked the compatibility and it looks ok
(compatible with all D range cameras).

Looks like there are a few on ebay so might give it a go.

Still curious about 16-85, would there be much difference in performance with these 2 lenses?
3 Sep 2012 2:07PM
3 Sep 2012 2:21PM
The 16-85 is a good lens, but much dearer than the 18-70, and the older lens is indeed a good performer. Do you want to spend a lot of money for not a lot extra? If you want to spend a bit, a Nikkor 18-200 is a good lens too, and gives extended reach, meaning you won't have to change lenses if you want longer while walking round. These can be got secondhand for much less than your 450.
3 Sep 2012 2:31PM
The 18-70 has been known before as one of Nikon's mistakes... supplying a damn good lens as a "kit" unit. I had one with a D50, daughter "liberated" it and I now use the 16-85 but I think the only thing gained is "VR" (Vibration Reduction) useful sometimes, but largely a fairly overated "feature/benefit". I'd be happy with the 18-70 again no worries...
Stu666 2 5
3 Sep 2012 2:36PM
I think the 18-70 looks like the place to start. I am going to have to try a few out to get used the the Nikon lenses. Looks like an interesting line up.

Many thanks for the help, very useful information.

Cheers
kodachrome 3 530
3 Sep 2012 5:00PM
I agree with the comments made about the 18-70, [ I'm looking my self] sadly its no longer made. Look around the used markets. I have the 16-85 and the 18-105, both are excellent, with the 16-85 a tad more usufull in my view if you shoot landscapes.

Have a look at the test report on the 18-105 in the Polish 'Lenstip' review site. Now look at the test report on the 16-85 on the German 'Photozone' review site. Both these review sites I trust and they give both lenses very high marks for optical performance and build quality.

Kodachrome
saxon_image 10 285 United Kingdom
3 Sep 2012 5:16PM
I can certainly vouch for the quality of the 18-70. Used one until recently when I changed to a 16-85. Nothing to choose with regard to sharpness and image quality but the bonus for me with the 16-85 is the VR - I don't have the steadiest hands and with it I can get shots that previously needed a monopod. For most people the 18-70 is an excellent and quite cheap option if you don't need VR.

Paul
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
3 Sep 2012 8:12PM
Just to throw a spanner in the works!

Why not go for a "rangier" walk-about zoom?

The 18-200mm from either Nikkor or Sigma will give you much more flexibility and both produce superb image quality. The Nikkor may be just out of your price range but the Sigma is well within it. When I used a Nikon D300, the Sigma 18-200mm was my principal travel lens and I took many competition winning and exhibition shots with it.
M22s 3 36 1
3 Sep 2012 8:23PM
http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/secondhand.php

One the most reputable nikon dealers in the country, and they have both the 18-70 and 16-85 Grin
Stu666 2 5
4 Sep 2012 8:21AM
Thank you all for the input.

I have managed to find an 18-70 at a good price (85), should arrive soon.

I am also going to keep an eye out for an Nikkor 18-200, looks like a nice lens and that extra range will be useful, is there a noticeable difference in performance/image quality between the Nikkor AND Sigma?
There seem to be a few on Ebay at the moment reasonably priced, will keep an eye out for a bargainSmile

Again, many thanks, I am starting to get my head around the Nikon line up Smile
Stu666 2 5
4 Sep 2012 6:22PM
One last question!!

I have been looking at the Nikon 18-135mm and have found a second hand copy going for 180, is that expensive for this lens?

I may be able to haggle the price so any experience buying this one second hand appreciated Smile

Cheers

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.