Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon MD-12 Grip that is a PAPERWEIGHT - Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Photowyzard
17 Feb 2013 - 5:04 AM

I tried doing the contacts with a coin on all angles of play. Nothing.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Feb 2013 - 5:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
17 Feb 2013 - 10:11 AM

Quote: Nick has just reminded me of something. There's a retractable plastic pin in the remote release connector that tells the drive that the cord has been plugged in. I can't remember whether the release button is disabled when a cord is plugged in. Squirt a little WD40 into the socket and check that the pin moves freely. Gentle use of a bradawl should free up the pin and that might cure the problem.

My memory is hazy because it's more than a decade since I used an MD12.

Avoid using wd40. It eats polycarbonate and some polystyrenes so unless you know that the pin and neighbouring components are not either ( polycarbonate is widely used in injection moulded structural parts) thenI wouldn't risk it. I dissolved the polycarbonate on a battery cover door once before I was aware of the issue.

Photowyzard
18 Feb 2013 - 8:42 PM

Thanks for the tip, greatly appreciated!!

THe is nothing wrong with the pin on my drive. It is actually metal. I have machine oil, I would use that first before WD40 as you would only need a tiny drop.

So, looks like it may be time to look inside!

Last Modified By Photowyzard at 19 Feb 2013 - 2:08 AM
Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
18 Feb 2013 - 10:20 PM

You shouldn't need any oil. The bearings and gears in camera equipment are lubricated with very tiny amounts of grease (usually graphite) and introducing more is a big no no.
If dismantling, use a digital camera to make visual notes as you go along.

Photowyzard
19 Feb 2013 - 2:10 AM

Good tip. Very good idea! You have been a big help so far and I am grateful for your assistance. Thank you.

Photowyzard
21 Feb 2013 - 1:36 PM

Really good news!

I fiddled with the drive sprocket and the metal pin dropped INTO the housing. I then did some more scraping on the pins, changed the batteries to a brand new set (second new set) and guess what!!!!

Puuuurrrsss like a kitten!!!!

SmileSmileSmile

Thank you for all your help. I was lucky that I did not have to disassemble it. I greatly appreciate the time you all spent on this Nick, theWilliam and 66Tricky.

Last Modified By Photowyzard at 22 Feb 2013 - 1:52 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.