Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon pre flash?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ITPSnapper
    24 Feb 2010 - 11:35 AM

Hi All

Probably a dumb question from one who knows nothing of flash.

Here goes.

I have set up a small studio system using falcon eyes. I have just got myself a new Nikon D300s. Now the problem is that the flash on the camera gives a 5 pre burst of flash to give correct exposure, but the pre flash is causing the studio lights to flash early, resulting in no effect from the flash units. I do also own a SB-600 flash gun, can this be used to counteract the problem?

Is there a way around this? Either by some thing I have missed in the camera menu or does it mean I require some sort of remote device??

Any help greatfully recieved.

Neal

Last Modified By ITPSnapper at 24 Feb 2010 - 11:36 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Feb 2010 - 11:35 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
    miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2010 - 11:44 AM

Quote: I have set up a small studio system using falcon eyes

Isn't Falcon Eyes a radio trigger system, comprising of a transmitter and receiver? The transmitter would fit on the hot-shoe, and the receivers on the lights that you want triggered. Hence you would not be using the camera's on board flash at all.

zed
    zed  10551 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Feb 2010 - 11:57 AM

I don't know what falcon eyes are, but I wouldn't use the flash on your d300s, use your sb600................

irishman
    irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2010 - 12:07 PM

Quote: Isn't Falcon Eyes a radio trigger system, comprising of a transmitter and receiver? The transmitter would fit on the hot-shoe, and the receivers on the lights that you want triggered. Hence you would not be using the camera's on board flash at all

Exactly what I was thinking too, not sure if the sb600 would be able to do this instead but I may be wrong.

miptog
    24 Feb 2010 - 12:22 PM

Quote: flash on the camera gives a 5 pre burst of flash to give correct exposure,

This can be turned off, and is not required if you are using studio lights.

ITPSnapper
    24 Feb 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi and thanks to you all. I lost that connection years ago ;0( BUt have been told by you now it is possible to turn it off. I have just gone through the 600 manual, and can't make out how to turn the pre flash off. Any idiot proof directions out there?

Neal

Last Modified By ITPSnapper at 24 Feb 2010 - 12:44 PM
    bluemarkster
    24 Feb 2010 - 2:15 PM

Ok here goes,
    I have a D200/Fuji S5 Pro - so lets say it could be the same:
    Use your camera menu, find your flash sub menu, change you flash mode from TTL to M. for manual, then select a setting of 1/1 or 1/2 or 1/4 etc... to trigger your strobe light ONCE without pre flash.
    (dont forget to cancel this when you have finished)
    Look in you camera manual under (commander/ flash mode)

Mark

ITPSnapper
    24 Feb 2010 - 2:51 PM

I'll give that a go, thanks for your help!

Neal

kaybee
    kaybee  103880 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2010 - 4:05 PM

I do what Bluemark suggests - turn the pop-up flash power way down so it triggers the studio lights but has no effect on the final result. Leave the SB600 in the bag

paperboy
    paperboy  5208 forum posts
    24 Feb 2010 - 4:58 PM

try pencil icon > bracketing >e4 turn off preflash.

ITPSnapper
    24 Feb 2010 - 6:36 PM

Thanks everyone, but none of this has worked. e$ is modelling flash btw ;0) THink the studio lights will be destined for the for sale columns in Holland. Anybody want them?

BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Feb 2010 - 8:04 PM

I still dont get why you are using the flash to activate the studio lights, when you have the falcon eyes radio trigger.... do they not work or something....

Turn the flash off, and use the wireless trigger

miptog
    25 Feb 2010 - 12:34 AM

Quote: I have just gone through the 600 manual, and can't make out how to turn the pre flash off. Any idiot proof directions out there?

Turn off red-eye reduction. This will stop the pre-flashes.

You should be using the Falcon Eyes (Transmitter), on the hot-shoe mount to trigger the lights. The Falcon Eyes Receiver should be attached to one of the studio lights. The other studio light should have its slave cell on, and will trigger when it sees the flash from the first studio light with the falcon eyes receiver attached. Its possible that you may only have the receivers, and not a transmitter, which is why you are trying to use the pop-up or SB600 to fire.

keith47
    keith47  8 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Feb 2010 - 12:57 AM

On the D2X, there is a 'flash' button on the top of the camera, left hand side, you press this and turn the main command dial, in the top viewing screen, there are 6 settings, 1 being the pre-flash red eye reduction, turn the dial until the red eye pre-flash is not highlighted. Hope this helps but not sure if the settings are the same on the d300s.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.