Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon Read This - D700 Flash Hotshoe Misfires

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scottishphototours

Right Nikon - enough is surely enough, we need you to admit there's a problem here and fix it....

The D700 and SB-900 combo has been PLAGUED from day one by problems with the hotshoe circuitry failing. This fail results in misfires, strobing or no fire at all of the flash and has been reported by users on the forums of sites like ephotozine, dpreview and nikonians, many of whom have had their flash hotshoe replaced free of charge by Nikon. Strangely enough it does not appear to affect the D3 series, which I've read also has the same flash hotshoe fitted.

I now have a situation where I have 2 D700's exhibiting this fault - one for the first time and one which has already had a new hotshoe fitted under warranty. Both are definitely camera related as I have a mix of both 800 and 900 flashguns, and both types exhbit the fault on both cameras. As a working photographer who uses flash a lot, this is now seriously affecting my ability to do my job and to run a business with Nikon equipment.

Given the relationship between Epz and Nikon, can I now call on Pete to raise this issue with Nikon with a view to getting a statement or action from Nikon?? - Go on Pete, some good old-fashioned investigative journalism required here!!...

Also, if Nikon's interested, why not prove to the readers of Epz how good your service is by using this as a test case?. I'm a NPS member, so feel free to call me up and arrange to have the cameras fixed before next weekend - I'd be happy to deliver a report to the Epz readers on the way this is handled. Click on my screen name to get my real name and type it into google to get my phone number - I'm the only one in the UK, so easy to find...

I look forward to replies from anyone else having similar problems with D700 hotshoe issues, or indeed from Nikon...

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Oct 2011 - 1:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
23 Oct 2011 - 5:59 PM

Sorry Andy.

Asking Pete to sort this out is simply unacceptable.

Get down there yourself and woo them with a good old Glasgow Kiss.

scottishphototours

I'm not asking Pete to sort it out, I'm asking him to use his influence to get a statement from Nikon - let's see if Nikon UK are capable of listening to one of the webs greatest collection of photographers.

There'll be no Glesga kisses from me. I just want my kit fixed Sad

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3595 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
24 Oct 2011 - 1:02 PM

Hi,

I asked Nikon about this, and they say that if you can get it in for repair then they can assess the situation, the number is 0800 6529580 in case you don't already have it,

Thanks

Josh

scottishphototours

Josh,

Thanks for that.

Wedding this Friday, 2 faulty D700's, £15k investment in kit and a business relying on Nikon. Time for them to step up to the plate, call me and help me out. The eyes of Epz are upon them, and this is a well documented fault.

Please ask your Nikon contact to call me.

Andy

Last Modified By scottishphototours at 24 Oct 2011 - 3:57 PM
peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123851 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2011 - 10:04 PM

best of luck Andy, hope you get them fixed; please let us know how you get on.

Peter.

scottishphototours

No contact up to now Peter Sad

User_Removed
24 Oct 2011 - 10:31 PM

Andy, I'm baffled as to why you don't call them. If they then fobbed you off or ignored you then start a forum post?

Quote: if Nikon's interested, why not prove to the readers of Epz how good your service is by using this as a test case?. I'm a NPS member, so feel free to call me up and arrange to have the cameras fixed before next weekend - I'd be happy to deliver a report to the Epz readers on the way this is handled. Click on my screen name to get my real name and type it into google to get my phone number - I'm the only one in the UK, so easy to find.

scottishphototours

Easy,

Its a well documented fault, which reoccurs.

They've already repaired one, now another is affected.

I have a business based on their equipment. There's no sterner test for kit than pro use, so it would nice for others to see how efficiently they handle repairs like this. After all, yhey have been taking a caning in the US over their service...

Andy

User_Removed
25 Oct 2011 - 11:29 AM

I have lost the thread of this thread.

Why do you think they might call you?

I am not excusing poor service, but it seems that they are waiting from a call from you as per Josh's last post.

If I were Mr Nikon and a respected profession who relied on my equipment was having a serious - and well documented - problem that affected his livelihood, then I would be loaning him a replacement until his own was fixed. But I would have to know that he was having a problem before I could do that.

scottishphototours

Leftie,

Calls and emails made, still awaiting Management response Sad

Nikon see this as an issue for the repairer as its a repeating fault, they won't admit its an issue with D700's the world over.

I'm stuck in the middle. I need my kit to work, simple. And I'm not paying to repair a camera with a documented history of failure worldwide.

I want Epz to highlight this issue and the way in which this kind of issue is handled.

PSILVERMAN
25 Oct 2011 - 12:14 PM

Fortunately neither of my 700 have had problems yet. I have recently only been fitting to sb900 to the camera I was using due to stories I've read. I used to have both 900's fitted to both hotshoes and carrying on a black rapid but have since changed the way I work. Also npu member so will follow this with interest. As yet (touching wood) no misfires etc.

scottishphototours

OK, todays developments.

Called Nikon and spoke to NPS Service dept. Explained the fault was now on 2 cameras, my issue with getting an urgent repair and followed up with an email, detailing the problem and my 28 years with Nikon, investment in Nikon kit and running a business with Nikon kit. They replied 2 hours later saying basically that:

- There were no advisory issues with D700's issued by Nikon Corporation (ie, no problems with D700's)
- Repairs for this fault in the USA would be being done as a goodwill gesture, not as a result of there being a known issue
- They would only repair the warrantied camera body - the other body (previoulsy repaired with the same fault) would not be repaired by Nikon or at their authorised repairer in Glasgow.

Needless to say, I was not impressed. My loyalty, investment and business stood for nothing. I felt I was getting no help from them to help me over a genuine hurdle - they couldn't even offer to get the warranty repair fast-tracked through their repair agent to give me at least one good camera body!!

So I replied, asking them to escalate this to a manager and detailing that this post was on Epz, which was sponsored by Nikon and which had tens of thousands of users reading it every day. Did they want me to report on here that Nikon had failed me??

1 hour later I was called back and told that Nikon UK had authorised a free-of-charge repair to both cameras at my local repair agent in Glasgow. I've called the repair agent so hopefully they can get them fixed for Friday. Needless to say, I'm a happy man. So I owe a "thank you" to Nikon UK - but should it have taken this kind of escalation?...

Once I get them repaired, I'll post a follow-up comment.

Last Modified By scottishphototours at 25 Oct 2011 - 5:46 PM
User_Removed
25 Oct 2011 - 6:19 PM

Andy, come over to Canon son. The professional brand.

scottishphototours

I picture you saying this with a Darth Vader mask on and in a DV voice.... Wink

No ready to move to the dark side yet Chris. And anyway, I don't have hands like an Orangutan and the six fingers required to work a Canon camera Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.