Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nikon Read This - D700 Flash Hotshoe Misfires

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2011 6:39PM
lol GrinGrin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
25 Oct 2011 7:04PM

Quote:I picture you saying this with a Darth Vader mask on and in a DV voice.... Wink

No ready to move to the dark side yet Chris. And anyway, I don't have hands like an Orangutan and the six fingers required to work a Canon camera Tongue

or maybe you are just not sure if you want a tool or a toy:

Wink

1-ap.jpg

PSILVERMAN 10 1.3k England
25 Oct 2011 8:25PM

Quote:Andy, come over to Canon son. The professional brand.

Yeah right! from what I've heard Canon are even worse!!! Tongue Wink
25 Oct 2011 10:05PM
A. J. Johnstone in Glasgow are a Nikon service provider - if you are Scotland based they are reasonably local.
Digressing I have not seen this issue aired elsewhere as a common problem.
scottishphototours 10 2.5k 2 Scotland
25 Oct 2011 10:34PM

Quote:A. J. Johnstone in Glasgow are a Nikon service provider - if you are Scotland based they are reasonably local.
Digressing I have not seen this issue aired elsewhere as a common problem.

Not a common problem?!! - it even has its own search term on Google!!! - try typing in "d700 hot shoe problems" and read away Len..........
26 Oct 2011 11:32AM

Quote:
Not a common problem?!! - it even has its own search term on Google!!! - try typing in "d700 hot shoe problems" and read away Len..........

I have - and there is not much there relative to around 500,000 D700's produced in 3 years.
The 2 pro dealers I use regularly tell me no faults of this type returned to them - the relevance being a free loan camera from many pro dealers if a camera sold by them is in for repair.
The repair you had done is probably more than 6 months ago as Nikon repairs come with a 6 month warranty, and Nikon imply a second repair is chargeable.
If you are Nikon Pro with NPS entitlement if a body cannot be repaired quickly you get a free loan body.
Whether you want to examine the shoe contacts as suggested in one source to get you out of gaol is worth thinking about.
Edit - when I had an accident damaged 80-400 which could not be repaired quickly I faxed agreement to insuring a loan lens whilst in my possession around 3pm - and the courier delivered a brand new copy before 9am next morning.
26 Oct 2011 4:30PM
Len,

Yes, well aware of Calumets policy of equipment replacement and NPS loans, but as Friday looms closer nobody could guarantee anything repaired before then. Nikon were keen to see the cameras themselves to examine them, but as this is impractical for me I asked them to get their repair agent to fix them.

Believe me, I did a LOT of digging when this first happened and there is certainly evidence of this being an issue and a known fault on D700's. It may not be a HUGE problem, but its a fault that needs further investigation. Some of our US Nikonians think its something to do with the SB-900 when used on the D700, as those that have saw failures report that they also use the SB-900 with their D700. The SB-900 certainly is a strange fit on the D700 hotshoe (the SB-800 seems to fit a lot better), but the same SB-900 seems to be a snug fit on the D3 series.

Andy
PSILVERMAN 10 1.3k England
27 Oct 2011 8:22AM
Do you use a black rapid or similar? It maybe something to do with the full weight of the sb900 being hung upside down and all the weight being taken by the hotshoe. Its something i read.
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
27 Oct 2011 9:47AM
Phil may have hit on something there. I've had problems with a lens mount ona telephoto, caused by holding the body without supporting the lens ( I'm talking about between shots) the weight of the lens caused strain on the lens mount. Maybe you are going all day with the camera / flash combo slung over your shoulder. The weight of the flash (and the sb900 is pretty heavy) could be causing pressure on the hot shoe mount.
27 Oct 2011 11:14AM
Nope, use Nikon supplied strap in the manner it's designed to be used...
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
27 Oct 2011 11:33AM
What with both cameras at the same time?
30 Oct 2011 9:24AM

Quote:as Friday looms closer nobody could guarantee anything repaired before then.

There was still time to hire a body.
5 Nov 2011 12:43PM
So, the resolution of the problem.

As I think I said, initially Nikon UK were unwilling to get involved in repairing a camera which had previously been repaired for this same fault, but after escalation to management and mentioning this thread, they agreed to repair both cameras through their local repair agent in Glasgow.

This has now been done, both cameras having had new hotshoes, circuits and screws replaced "at Nikons goodwill".

As per the first time this happened, the repair agent was unwilling to speculate on a problem, but was well aware of the fault. When I asked if they had the parts to fix it the guy smiled and said that they always kept plenty in stock. When asked about this fault and D3's, he told me they don't see faults like this on the them.

So that leads me to think that there is indeed an issue with damage to flash circuitry on the D700, and the goodwill offers to repair, both here and in the USA, seems to back that up.

Anyway, thanks to Nikon UK for their goodwill gesture. I think I can confidently tell epz readers that they can expect excellent service from Nikon UK in the event of a camera requiring service, and to buy Nikon with confidence for this reason.

Andy
Xntricity 1 2 Australia
19 Jan 2013 1:15PM
I had this exact same problem today for the first time, whilst photographing a wedding. Thankfully I carry lots of spare equipment with me, so it wasn't a show stopper. Oddly enough though, I replaced the sb-900 with an older sb-600 flash, and the same strobing light happened again. After a while though, the problem seemed to fix itself.
I've had my d700 for several years now and this has never happened before, but I'll be calling Nikon on Monday and hopefully there'll fix it for me even though the warranty has expired.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
19 Jan 2013 7:38PM
Good Luck.

Tell them you'll set Andy on them if they don't play ball.

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.