Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon Read This - D700 Flash Hotshoe Misfires

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62505 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 - 5:30 PM

Quote: I had this exact same problem today for the first time, whilst photographing a wedding. (snipped) .
I've had my d700 for several years

Nikon recommend having equipment serviced every two years or more frequently if heavily professionally used. Maybe your D700 is overdue for a service. Many wedding photographers qualify for Nikon pro service and loan equipment in an emergency.
If you are buying from Calumet in Glasgow they give you free loans while your equipment is being serviced.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2013 - 5:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Xntricity
Xntricity  1 Australia
22 Jan 2013 - 7:45 AM

Thats a good point you make there Len. I have to admit, that I've never had either of my cameras serviced, perhaps it's about time.
I've taken the D700 to the authorised repairer here in Adelaide (quite a long way from Glasgow !!), who's going to fix it for around $100. Of course, when I tried to re-create the problem at the repair shop, the flash worked perfectly !!

Tonigirl
Tonigirl  1
15 Mar 2013 - 2:55 PM

Hi, just been reading your problems with the d700 hotshot, I am having exactly the same problems with my two D700 and they are both out of warranty now. I just had a quote from Sendean repairs for nearly 300 to repair one hot shoe, that's a bit rich don,t you think? But now I think I will follow your lead and write to Nikon although I think it will be a struggle to get anywhere with them.
I just wondered if you have had any problems with the hotshoes since the repairs.

Kindest regards
Toni

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62505 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 - 10:11 PM

Quote: I just had a quote from Sendean repairs for nearly 300 to repair one hot shoe, that's a bit rich don,t you think

Sendean do not appear to be listed as authorised to Nikon repairers. Fixation are.
If the work involves no more than taking the top plate and soldering a connection, 300 sounds way over the top to me.
Xntricity in Australia was quoted a more reasonable $100,

scottishphototours

Quote: Hi, just been reading your problems with the d700 hotshot, I am having exactly the same problems with my two D700 and they are both out of warranty now. I just had a quote from Sendean repairs for nearly 300 to repair one hot shoe, that's a bit rich don,t you think? But now I think I will follow your lead and write to Nikon although I think it will be a struggle to get anywhere with them.
I just wondered if you have had any problems with the hotshoes since the repairs.

Kindest regards
Toni

Toni,

I've had one hotshoe replaced twice, one replaced once. Any repair has to be done through a Nikon authorised repair centre and is best authorised first by Nikon. You need to call them up (don't write, call), report the fault and quote this thread and others that appear on dpreview.com and nikonians.com and tell them that you have the same fault.

If they reject your request for a repair, ask to speak to the Service manager. This is a known fault and should be being repaired free of charge in all cases, but Nikon UK are not allowed to say that it's a known fault as Nikon Japan have yet to release an advisory notice on this fault (I have email evidence from Nikon). Don't take no for an answer and if need be, approach your retailer for backup.

By the way, a 300 repair is way over the top. They are robbing you blind...

Andy

Tonigirl
Tonigirl  1
16 Mar 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for your reply. I won't let Sendean do the repair, I'm going to call Nikon on monday.

Many thanks
Toni

scottishphototours

So, once again the ugly D700 hotshoe failure rears its ugly head!!!.....another camera has had a hotshoe fail on me - Nikon have been informed Sad

For those of you reading this with interest, take a look here for failures from Ecuador to Scotland dating from 2009 to 2013. It would appear that someone has come up with a good suggestion - the fitting of a Nikon Water Guard WG-AS3 that seems to help take the weight of the SB-900 and distribute it over the body, taking pressure off the hotshoe. Being cynical, one would have to ask if this is what it was REALLY designed for and NOT for keeping out water!

Hoping to hear from Nikon UK tomorrow...

scottishphototours

Nikon UK replied promptly - but with the usual reply.... "send it in but there maybe a charge".... so have emailed them back telling them I want it repaired free of charge, as they have in the past. It is, in effect, a warranted camera with now two ineffective repairs. As the world knows this is an issue, I don't think I'm being unreasonable in saying that I want it repaired free, as they have done in the past.

I await their reply with interest.

Andy

Last Modified By scottishphototours at 8 Jan 2014 - 12:14 PM
thewilliam
8 Jan 2014 - 2:44 PM

Quote: Andy, come over to Canon son. The professional brand.

Other brands just have different problems!

Is it really fair to expect a second-line camera like the D700 to stand up to the rigours of full-time professional use? Nikon designed the single-digit bodies for hard use.

scottishphototours

Nikon designate the D700 as a professional series camera, so yes, I would expect it to stand up to hard use.

And anyway, this is an ongoing issue with the D700 that has never been satisfactorily solved as far as I can see. If it had been a car, there would have been a recall...

jennialexander
jennialexander e2 Member 1045 forum postsjennialexander vcard United Kingdom
15 Jan 2014 - 1:21 PM

I have never had a failure on my D700 & SB900. Dragged both around a Venice Carnivale a couple of years ago & took over 2000 photos. Have used both many times before & since.
Jenni

scottishphototours

Delighted to report that Laura Deane at Nikon UK got involved, has had the camera checked and found that the hotshoe WAS faulty and it's been repaired free of charge... but it has been the 4th D700 hotshoe repair!

Thanks once again to Nikon UK!!...bring on the D4s!

Andy

col.campbell
17 Jan 2014 - 11:48 AM

Pleased to hear you got the problem resolved.. again.. eventually..

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.