Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon SB-700 or 910?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Drippingsoul13
11 Jul 2012 - 5:21 AM

I am looking at getting my first flash for my camera. I have got it narrowed down to the Nikon SB 700 or 910. Which do you think is the better choice?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jul 2012 - 5:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Deanooo
Deanooo  2 Wales
11 Jul 2012 - 8:03 AM

metz 50, i just bought one last week, great bit of kit and i got it for 154 its got everything you would need, ittl, slave and a pretty stright forward user menu, worth looking at...

NickHaigh
NickHaigh  2 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 - 9:01 AM

If you can afford the 910 get it without a doubt, if you have a nikon buy a nikon flash, if you have a canon buy a canon flash.

Deanooo
Deanooo  2 Wales
11 Jul 2012 - 10:57 AM

"if you have a nikon buy a nikon flash, if you have a canon buy a canon flash."

why nick? metz, sigma and other 3rd parties all make great flashes that are totally compatible with either system and sometimes just as good, but for a fraction of the cost, as long as you know "what you are doing"...
this whole stick to the brand thing left with the ark i thought... but if you still decide to stick with the nikons i would go 700, dependant on your photography preferences.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 11:21 AM

Quote: the brand thing left with the ark i thought

Maybe, Maybe not, Three things over many years have proved the worth of buying brand own.

First is 100% compatibility.

Second is 100% Reliability.

Third is Far better residual value when trading up or flogging on a few years later.

There is almost a 4th reason, If you take after sales support into account.

Agree that the SB-700 is a good flash all round, Not quite as powerful as the 910 perhaps, But this will depend on your intended usage.

Its a bit of a Whatever situation really....Wink

Cybalist
Cybalist  2 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2012 - 1:48 PM

I went for the 910 myself, it's utterly awesome, especially when used off-camera.Grin

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
BarrieNeilPhotography

Look at secondhand too. The SB-800 is probably the best Nikon have produced but don't touch the SB-900 unless you are in need of a photo related doorstop (I've just got rid of both the ones I had)

SB-910 seems pretty good on paper but quite frankly you are paying a lot of money for bells and whistles the vast majority of people don't need and will not ever use.

If you want new, I'd recommend the SB-700

Barrie

User_Removed
12 Jul 2012 - 4:24 PM

Quote: I went for the 910 myself, it's utterly awesome, especially when used off-camera.Grin

I'd like to know how you assessed the degree of "awesomeness", Cybalist.

In terms of its integration with the complete Nikon CLS system (and how much of that do you use)? or in terms of its light output? or what?

I have a Nikon SB-600 and a couple of third party (Metz and Nissin). Other than in the degree of CLS integration (which I never use) there is absolutely no way I could describe the Nikon model as being more "awesome" than the others. Despite being 4 - 5 times the price. The Yongnuo flashes being discussed on a nearby thread are even cheaper and seem to be heavily favoured by professionals.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 12 Jul 2012 - 4:25 PM
Cybalist
13 Jul 2012 - 1:11 PM

Quote: I'd like to know how you assessed the degree of "awesomeness", Cybalist.

In terms of its integration with the complete Nikon CLS system (and how much of that do you use)? or in terms of its light output? or what?

I have a Nikon SB-600 and a couple of third party (Metz and Nissin). Other than in the degree of CLS integration (which I never use) there is absolutely no way I could describe the Nikon model as being more "awesome" than the others. Despite being 4 - 5 times the price. The Yongnuo flashes being discussed on a nearby thread are even cheaper and seem to be heavily favoured by professionals.

I paid 315 for the SB-910 and it has been flawless. It is powerful enough that I can dial it right down for high-speed capture of things like water drops. I use it a lot in remote mode, controlling it with the built-in flash on my D300S. It is reliable and very easy to use through the new menu system, and highly customizable. It comes with a stand, a diffuser, reflector and two coloured hard filters for light source matching. It does intelligent things like informing the camera which attachment I'm using so the white balance can adjust itself. The TTL mode is very accurate and reliable. It has narrow, normal and wide modes, and compensates automatically for DX or FX camera types. For the money I paid, I can't recommend it enough. And I know I can expand my lighting setup as much as I like without running up against this beauty's limitations.

User_Removed
13 Jul 2012 - 1:40 PM

Quote: I'd like to know how you assessed the degree of "awesomeness", Cybalist.

I paid 315 for the SB-910 and it has been flawless. It is powerful enough that I can dial it right down for high-speed capture of things like water drops. I use it a lot in remote mode, controlling it with the built-in flash on my D300S. It is reliable and very easy to use through the new menu system, and highly customizable. It comes with a stand, a diffuser, reflector and two coloured hard filters for light source matching. It does intelligent things like informing the camera which attachment I'm using so the white balance can adjust itself. The TTL mode is very accurate and reliable. It has narrow, normal and wide modes, and compensates automatically for DX or FX camera types. For the money I paid, I can't recommend it enough. And I know I can expand my lighting setup as much as I like without running up against this beauty's limitations.

That's all good stuff, Cybalist.

But it is really just what you would expect for that sort of money, rather than justifying a tag of "awesome".

Cybalist
13 Jul 2012 - 1:54 PM

Quote: That's all good stuff, Cybalist.

But it is really just what you would expect for that sort of money, rather than justifying a tag of "awesome".

If I had paid 470 for it, it would have been "great value" - at 315, it is "awesome", yes. Less than the price of most of my lenses.

BarrieNeilPhotography

The universe is awesome... an exploding volcano is awesome, Katie Price's boobs are awesome (apparently Smile) but the SB-910 is just a flashgun Wink

Last Modified By BarrieNeilPhotography at 13 Jul 2012 - 4:11 PM
User_Removed
13 Jul 2012 - 7:15 PM

Quote: The universe is awesome... an exploding volcano is awesome, Katie Price's boobs are awesome (apparently Smile) but the SB-910 is just a flashgun Wink

Hear Hear Barry!!

Cybalist
16 Jul 2012 - 2:04 PM

Quote: The universe is awesome... an exploding volcano is awesome, Katie Price's boobs are awesome (apparently Smile) but the SB-910 is just a flashgun Wink

I find your lack of enthusiasm disturbing.

Geoffphoto
16 Jul 2012 - 9:12 PM

Katie Price's boobs are awesome (apparently ) - no they are NOT !!!!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.