Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon Shutter Lag

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mixipix
mixipix  1 Australia
13 Nov 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hello Smile I currently use a Nikon D2Xs. It's time for me to upgrade to the new generation of fast ISO, DSLR video camera's that are being put out there quicker than I can point a stick at. After 40 years of lugging around Nikon SLR and DSLR gear as well as medium format, I'm looking at traveling lighter, to make carrying a camera more of a joy rather than a chore. Having a photojournalist/sport background shutter lag is of great importance to me. My question: my Nikon D2Xs shutter lag 37/10 00th sec, Nikon D600 260 milliseconds. Why they are measured differently is a puzzle to me. Which camera has the less (fastest) shutter lag. I know that the D4 & D800 has a shutter lag of 209 milliseconds but both of these especially the D$ are out of my price range and getting away from the lighter camera body that Im seeking.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Nov 2012 - 10:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UKMike2013
13 Nov 2012 - 11:03 PM

There isn't a DSLR made today that has a shutter lag that will affect your results. The numbers you are dealing with are so small that you will have more variation caused by the cushioning effect of your finger.
There may of course be focus lag, but rest assured that any modern camera is going to react a lot faster than you can.

mixipix
mixipix  1 Australia
14 Nov 2012 - 1:24 AM

Thanks for your comment Mike. Do you really mean to say that all modern DSLR's have the ability to work and capture sporting action as long as the operator using them has the ability to anticipate the action.We're not talking here about frame rates of the Gatling gun variety. It's all about that very first response. Somehow I find that hard to believe. I just wouldn't feel that confident of backing a Nikon 3200 up against a Nikon D4 getting that very first frame of the ball right on the head of Wayne Rooney about to put the ball into the back of the net in the final in Rio. Cheers.

sausage
sausage  10234 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 - 8:26 AM

I have a D800 and have never noticed a shutter lag. In fact I never known a DSLR to have one. I get more lag from eyes to my brain then to my finger.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8972 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 8:41 AM

Quote: Thanks for your comment Mike. Do you really mean to say that all modern DSLR's have the ability to work and capture sporting action as long as the operator using them has the ability to anticipate the action.We're not talking here about frame rates of the Gatling gun variety. It's all about that very first response. Somehow I find that hard to believe. I just wouldn't feel that confident of backing a Nikon 3200 up against a Nikon D4 getting that very first frame of the ball right on the head of Wayne Rooney about to put the ball into the back of the net in the final in Rio. Cheers.

That would be down to autofocus not shutter lag

triumphv8
triumphv8  7450 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 - 9:51 AM

Are you sure those 2 values represent the same measurement, and that the D2X value is without autofocus, and the D600 with it.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62450 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 - 9:59 AM

Quote: Do you really mean to say that all modern DSLR's have the ability to work and capture sporting action as long as the operator using them has the ability to anticipate the action.

In terms of shutter lag - yes!
When it comes to tracking a moving subject (not what you first asked about) the in camera processing speed and AF speed of the lens are important.
The D4, D800 and to a lesser extent the D600 have faster and more positive AF than previous Nikon AF systems. Digressing a 300 f2.8 has faster AF than the 70-30; f5.6 at 300mm. That aside all recent Nikon's have very short shutter lag.

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 10:15 AM

How did they ever manage to capture the critical sporting moment with old shutters and without 10fps? Tongue

Quote: My question: my Nikon D2Xs shutter lag 37/10 00th sec, Nikon D600 260 milliseconds. Why they are measured differently is a puzzle to me.

It would seem to be down to which AF mode you are using and whether you have preview etc. This site puts the shutter lag of the D600 at 0.05 second

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d600/nikon-d600A6.HTM

and the D2x at 0.04 seconds

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D2X/D2XA7.HTM

The reaction time of a trained sprinter, primed for an expected impulse is deemed to be 0.1 seconds which is double the shutter lag of both cameras. So I would say your anticipation is far more important.

Tonyd3
Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 10:52 AM

Sports photographers are very well practiced at getting the images, timing is everything to get that desicive moment, it is something you can learn but most will either have it or they dont, that is what sets apart a reasonable sports photographer to a great one.

Knowing a sport and what is going to happen is what it is all about, that is the bit that takes practice.
You learn to compensate for cameras habbits and the lack of motordrives in the days of film (you had to) as they just were not available then, digital makes it to easy even with cameras like the D800 with its lower shutter speed, a well "practiced" photograher who knows the sport could easily get good sports images with that. Not really much different to using a D300 for sport which i use along with a D3 and a D4.

The one thing that will really make a difference to sports photography is a fast lens with a fast apature makes all the difference, if i had a choice between buying a new 70-200 2.8 or a second hand 200 f2 or 300 2.8 then i would go with the second hand lens everytime, in reality the body does not make that much difference but the lens do.

mixipix
mixipix  1 Australia
14 Nov 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. Much appreciated. To Sausage, you obviously never shot with a Nikon D100, the shutter lag was so slow that the sunset I was trying to shoot actually turnd out to be the sunriseGrin See the action>react>press shutter> but action has already passed. Thats shutter lag, not AF speed. Lol. My question was all about shutter lag, and thanks to the info supplied Mikehit
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d600/nikon-d600A6.HTM it appears that the D600 does have a rather sluggish shutter lag.
Just to add to Tonyd3 I've anticipated action in a sports scene, pressed the shutter a millisecond to early and even with 8FPS have missed that decisive moment, it was between frames 1&2. That initial first shot that one reacts to, is often the best, thats why shutter lag is just as important as AF speed

Tonyd3
Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 12:11 PM

Then all you need to do is slow yourself down, try taking just one shot without the motordrive eventually you will start to get it right.
It sounds more like your timing is off and not the camera, it can be done belive me.

paulcookphotography

With an average difference of 0.06 sec between a shot on a D600 and a D4, i would hardly describe the D600 as being 'sluggish' lol

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8972 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 1:05 PM

It's terrible slow, maybe a nikon v1 would be of more useTongue

Newdevonian
14 Nov 2012 - 1:09 PM

I have just conducted a test between my D100 and my D7000. Lens fitted in each case was the 35mm F1.8G prefocussed and cameras were tripod mounted. Obviously I have no measuring equipment, so my findings are subjective. My measurement was from 1/2 pressed shutter release (focussing) to end of shutter click. I could discern no time difference whatsoever in shutter release times. It was for all intents and purposes instantaneous. Therefore any difference must be academic and doesn't effect camera usage.

In my days of photographing motor racing with film, you always chose your favourite spot on the track and prefocussed your manual focus lens on that spot, using practice for practice panning and racing for actual shots. I always had a good % of good shots, and that was using a
Canon FT which I bought new in 1969.

mikehit
mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM

Quote: it appears that the D600 does have a rather sluggish shutter lag. .

It is measured as 0.05 sec. What is sluggish about that: it is 0.01sec (10 thousandths of a second!) slower than the D2x?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.