Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nikon speedlights

MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2007 1:29PM
Hi....Im looking to buy a speedlight for my D80.
I can get the SB-600 for 128 but will I wish i'd gone for theSB-800 at 200
.....and will it help me with my tpe of photography....eg. birds.

thanks for any input....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2007 1:34PM
Go for the SB800. In the longer term it will give you more flexibility and options. The extras that come with it as standard (diffuser and gels) are worth having too. It will also be easier to use the SB800 with studio lighting should you wish.

Mike
peter_davey 8 1.4k England
5 Nov 2007 1:39PM
The 800 is a bigger more powerful gun than the 600, also it can act as a Master unit for the Nikon creative lighting system - the 600 can only act as a remote.

Once you have an 800 you then really only need to add in 600's as remotes if you want more than one gun.
stevekhart e2
8 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2007 1:50PM
I have a 600 and an 800 and I wish I'd bought 2 x 800's. The extra 5th battery, the power socket, the pc socket, the extra control I think make it well worth the extra.
User_Removed 10 3.3k Russian Federation
5 Nov 2007 2:20PM
S'funny, but I've got two -600's and one -800 and to be honest, I find that I use the 600's more if I'm just shooting with a single flashgun.

Fair play, it's not as powerful as the -800, but the number of times I use my flash on full power can probably be counted on one hand. Besides which, there's not any vast difference between the two. The ability to add an additional battery doesn't bother me... AA's come in 4's - so it all makes sense. Not to mention that changing batteries when you've got that annoying 5th battery holder is attached, is a real pain in the arse.

That's without mentioning the fact that (with four batteries) the -600 recycles more quickly... I would imagine that's more important in terms of wildlife stuff?

The only edge the -800 really has is commander mode (IMHO),and that would only be relevant if you're buying more than one flash to begin with. If it were down to me, I'd buy a 2nd hand -600 which'd be less than 100 these days and buy an -800 at a later time if you need the extra functionality.
loweskid e2
13 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
5 Nov 2007 2:37PM

Quote:The only edge the -800 really has is commander mode (IMHO),and that would only be relevant if you're buying more than one flash to begin with.

The D80 has inbuilt commander mode so you don't need an 800 to get this function.
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
5 Nov 2007 5:05PM

Quote:Besides which, there's not any vast difference between the two.

Just to confirm that from their specs, the difference in power is not huge - about half a stop (their guide numbers are 30 and 38).

The SB600 has the advantage of being lighter. The SB600 also has more flashes from one set of batteries - 200 at maximum power compared to 150, that presumably just reflects its slightly lower maximum flash power.

Info taken from Nikon's website.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
5 Nov 2007 6:55PM
Agree with James (magicboy)... When I want to blast out light, I'll use my Metz 45CT-3 on AP. If I want to control the light balance, I'll use my SB600. I find it more than enough to cover all my needs - and frankly? - I can't justify the significant price hike for the SB800.

Analyse your needs carefully before committing is my advice. Power isn't everything when using portable, on-camera flash. (Even the built-in unit on the D200 is VERY useful at times)

HTH's...
wotashot e2
11 2.2k
5 Nov 2007 10:55PM
Buy one of each.

The 800 is a beauty,

j
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
5 Nov 2007 10:56PM
Thanks everyone...a lot of valuable info here.
I just wish I was knowledgable to understand it all.
Had you all been in agreement I would have opted for the SB-800 but on balance I intend buying the 600.
It doesn't sound like i'l regret it.

128 from OSD....230 from Jessops...what you gonna do...LOL.

Thanks all for your time and trouble.

.....Mike
peter_davey 8 1.4k England
5 Nov 2007 11:50PM
try microglobe in london
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
6 Nov 2007 8:14AM

Quote:Buy one of each.

...when I can take pictures like yours....I will.

....Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.