Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon sponsoring an endangered species hunting enterprise - is this some sort of ...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2012 - 8:57 PM

Apologies if posted before, but a friend of mine who is a bear conservation biologist posted a link to this

http://www.bowsrusoutdoors.com/

"As a long-time client of NIKON and life-long wildlife biologist and conservationist in Brazil I was absolutely SHOCKED to learn that NIKON sponsors a hunting enterprise called Bows R Us Outdoors (www.bowsrusoutdoors.com). Jim & Michele Leqve, owners of Bows R Us Outdoors, hunt for their own pleasure and love to kill animals like polar bears, a species listed as THREATENED TO EXTINCTION by the Red List of Threatened Species of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) (http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/22823/0). The NIKON logo can be found in several pages of the Bows R Us Outdoors website.

Customers around the world should be aware of the fact that NIKON sponsors these kinds of enterprises and this SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT when they choose among so many excellent brands of photo and optical gear available out there. Or, alternatively, and better yet, NIKON should seriously rethink to whom they direct their publicity/sponsorship funds. Otherwise, I am sure well-informed nature and wildlife lovers worldwide will choose NOT TO purchase gear from NIKON.

All I can say for myself is: I will wait for a few weeks and then go back to the Bows R Us Outdoors website once again to check if I still see the NIKON logo. If I do, I will most certainly sell all my photo gear from NIKON and buy from a different, conservation-minded brand.

For those of you interested to learn more about the Leqve´s savage killing of polar bears please check:

http://www.change.org/petitions/disapprove-of-savagely-killing-polar-bear?utm_me...

Patrícia Medici, Conservation Biologist, Brazil"

This just seems unreal, but the Nikon logo is there on their support page Sad http://www.bowsrusoutdoors.com/our-support-team.php

Perhaps if this is genuine its something us photographers can at least influence, to get Nikon to drop their support?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2012 - 8:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014799 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2012 - 9:15 PM

The only thing I can see here is that this company is being blacklisted, obviously, by a special interest group, and the info has to be misconstrued, either intentionally, or by mistake. Polar bears are protected, so how are these people able to hunt them? If indeed they are getting licenses to hunt Polar bears, they must be paying a fortune for them, and the funds go for conservation. There's something definitely wrong here, Nikon is not that stupid.

Lol, and Epz jumps on the bandwagon and sticks a Nikon add over to the right.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 19 Mar 2012 - 9:16 PM
Andy_Cundell
19 Mar 2012 - 9:54 PM

What else would you want to record a kill with.....a Nikon!Grin

Sorry, I couldn't help myself! Yeah, I agree, Nikon arnt that stupid to sponsor something like this.........or are they?

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61193 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2012 - 12:59 AM

Time to fire off an email to Nikon!

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61193 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2012 - 1:20 AM

Email sent.

janeez
20 Mar 2012 - 1:22 AM

Quote: Nikon arnt that stupid to sponsor something like this.........or are they?

Don't know, but this is on their website.

Quote: Jim & Michele are currently on several Pro-staff positions with:

COBRA ARCHERY PRODUCTS (Side winder sight & releases)
EASTMAN OUTDOORS (Carbon Express Arrows)
MATHEWS SOLO CAM (Bows)
NIKON (Binoculars & Range finder)
RELENTLESS PURSUIT (TV Show)
SCENT-LOK (Carbon Scent control clothing)
POWER PLEAT TECHNOLOGY (Clothing)
TROPHY RIDGE (Whisker Biscuit)
VISION QUEST (Steelforce Broadheads)
WOMENHUNTERS® CLUB (Michele)

Overread
Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2012 - 7:53 AM

I'm kind of sitting in the same camp as StrayCat in wondering how a legitimate business gets a licence just to shoot random polarbears. Surely they must be applying for a licence to shoot these animals and that the licence itself must be passed past some regulation board.

Are the bears they shoot simply ones that would be shot anyway for various reasons (illness, encroachment on human habitation, reduction of pressure of the population within a restricted area). I know well that each year we shoot large numbers of deer in the UK simply to help control populations because there is no natural predator prey balance - heck I know there are some who love to shoot who take part and others who hate shooting, but who still do it so that the population as a whole isn't placed under stress (ie too many deer eating their food supply and resulting in mass starvation - not to mention the knockon effect of that on other populations).

If the polarbears are simply being shot as part of such schemes then I don't really care if the person that shoots wants to, loves to or hates to - so long as the shot made is clean and fast and that the regulation is kept strict and well policed.

There is concern when these sports get near more popularity or exposure I agree and that can lead to problems, but I can't just slate them without knowing more details as to what is going on.

For Nikon it might be a mistake to sponsor both wildlife and hunting - but reflect on the fact that many hunters will swap a gun/bow for a camera in time.

mikehit
mikehit  56454 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2012 - 9:05 AM

Yes, a limited number of licenses are granted each year to shoot bears in Canada and the penalties for illegal hunting can be massive.
Personally I don't like the bear hunts but personally I would not boycott a company in Nikon's situation as long as the activity is legal. But I respect someone's right to make purchasing decisions based on this.

Sus
20 Mar 2012 - 9:19 AM

Quote: I would not boycott a company in Nikon's situation as long as the activity is legal.

I would. Whether 'legal' or not - this is Totally. Out. Of. Order.

Overread
Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2012 - 9:29 AM

But Sus if the culling is being done upon population control measures chances are it could be one of those "its bad to do it but its worse to not do it" situations. Bears encroching onto peoples land too much might spark a local uprise resulting in the killing of more bears than culling alone; or population pressures might mean that the bears put pressure onto other endangered animals.

Also consider that many camera firms also make medical optics and other instruments and that they likely have sponsors of laboratories that are working with labmice or other animals as well

Sus
20 Mar 2012 - 9:35 AM

I know its not black and white. I'm just looking at the message its sending out. Killing polar bears is an aspirational pastime.

lemmy
lemmy  71869 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Mar 2012 - 10:53 AM

Quote: but reflect on the fact that many hunters will swap a gun/bow for a camera in time

And vice-versa, of course.

mikehit
mikehit  56454 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2012 - 11:20 AM

I am not sure what you mean by 'aspirational pastime'.
As say I don't disagree with your wish to boycott Nikon goods but to express incredulity at a company sponsoring a pastime that is both legal and culturally acceptable in that country seems odd to me.
Many people find out that 'ethical purchasing' is fraught with contradictions and challenges.

janeez
20 Mar 2012 - 12:03 PM

A company like Nikon should disengage itself from such controversial activities. This is a political minefield that could lose them customers and other far more lucrative sponsorship deals. Would I have bought a Nikon camera if I had known this first? No, I definitely would not!

The problems are what with hunting and a changing environment these animals are brought to the point of extinction then people like the WWF have to step in to try and save them.

If you didn't see it then take a look at Gordon Buchanan's brilliant series on black bears. It may make a few consider the killing of these beautiful animals to be totally unacceptable.

The Bear Family

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
20 Mar 2012 - 12:13 PM

I can't see where it states that Nikon support or sponsor them. Their logo appears on their 'Support Team' page which can mean many things.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.