Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon TC-20E III AF

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    TrailorSailor
    31 Jan 2013 - 1:30 AM

I am using a Nikon TC-14E II with a Nikon AF-S 300 f/4D for wildlife photography. I would like to use the 300mm f/4 lens with the TC-20E III for a little greater reach. Consistent with the Nikon lens-TC compatibility charts, I've read numerous reviews that indicate unreliable AF performance when using the TC-20E III with f/4 or slower lenses. Nikon lists both their 1.7x and 2.0x TCs as manual focus only when used in combination with their TC-compatible f/4 lenses.

Switching from the 1.4x TC to the 2.0x TC slows the overall lens combination from f/5.6 to f/8. I notice no AF issues when using a polarizer with my 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR lens on my D200. That combination results in an effective speed even slower than the f/8 for the prime + TC due to the 1.5 to 2.0 stop hit from the polarizer. Why shouldn't I expect the 30mm f/4 prime with the 2.0x TC to AF as well as the 70-300 @ 300mm f/5.6 with polarizer?

Has anyone used the TC-20E III in combination with the AF-S 300mm f/4D Lens? If so, what were their experiences?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Jan 2013 - 1:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    31 Jan 2013 - 6:04 PM

Using a polariser does not affect the autofocus ability with an f8 combination, other than autofocus stops working in about two stops higher light level due to the polariser effect.
    The original 20e could autofocus with the 300 AF-s and the D200 when I owned both items, though focus tracking ability was little better than walking speed and good contrast light helped.
    The 20eIII does autofocusing better on a D800 with the 200-400 f4, but do not expect super fast focus tracking at effective f8.
    Nikon has not yet announced a DX body with AF capability to f8 to Nikon's minimum focus tracking standard.

TrailorSailor
    31 Jan 2013 - 9:12 PM

Thanks. That's exactly the information I need and confirms what I would expect. Slow focus tracking could be an issue. Even though most of my shots are with relativley high subject-to-background contrast, I need to reconsider compromising for the 17e for the 1/2 stop improvement.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62460 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    3 Feb 2013 - 3:35 PM

Quote: Slow focus tracking could be an issue. Even though most of my shots are with relativley high subject-to-background contrast, I need to reconsider compromising for the 17e for the 1/2 stop improvement.

I know you do not own a D4 or D800 but with f8 combinations focus tracking is faster with the latest autofocus bodies.
    I understand that focus tracking is also faster with the D600 but not as good as the D800.
    As yet there is no DX body announced with the new focus system.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.