Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon VS Canon?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

anpix
anpix  688 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jan 2009 - 11:23 AM

What is your preference ?

Or do you use something else

i tend to find cannon have very sharp images but i have a nikon and find it easier to use

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jan 2009 - 11:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
17 Jan 2009 - 11:32 AM

Canon, rather than Cannon. From Japanese Kwanon, name of a goddess, of mercy I think.

Either Nikon or Canon will have lenses that take sharp pictures.
They will both have some cameras and some lenses that are not so good. If Nikon feels better for you, probably best to keep to it. Using something you feel comfortable with counts for a lot.

I'm glad I started with Canon, as their DSLR cameras can take lots of strange old lenses when used with adapters, so I can experiment. I don't think you can do that with Nikon. But then not everyone would want to anyway.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73799 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 11:41 AM

The sharpness, is probably more to do with the glass than anything. Both are excellent systems try them then stick with one system.

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 11:54 AM

I like a number of cameras and could make an argument to buy a Pentax K20D, a Sony A900, a Canon 40D/50D or 5D MKII or 1DS, or Nikon D90, D300, D700, D3, or Leica M8.

It depends what I am trying to do at the time. I also think that for a lot of instances you could switch brands and not notice much in the end result.

Me I have some Canon lenses I like so that biases my thoughts. Though without those lenses I wonder if a D700 or 5D MKII would make a great choice. But for the moment the 5D II would be a great update.

ray1
ray1  10515 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 11:54 AM

Just peeing up the wall stuff really. Go to WH Smith and pick any magazine up. Then decide if you can tell what camera was used to take the pictures within the mag - could also go to any online gallery and do the same. If you can tell, that will be the camera to have. if you cant its peeing up the wall. You could also try asking a pro tog if they have any customers who say I will only accept pics taken with a canon or nikon etc. Very unlikely. etc etc etc.

contemporary dave
17 Jan 2009 - 11:57 AM

Both are top makes and top quality. The most important thing about a camera is the person using it and when they press the shutter release button...

Snapper
Snapper  93686 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 12:11 PM

Quote: What is your preference ?

Or do you use something else

i tend to find cannon have very sharp images but i have a nikon and find it easier to use

Andy

Andy, both are fine makes which will take shots of equal quality, so neither is "better" as such. Ease of use and feeling comfortable with the camera is far more likely to affect your photos, so I'd tend to make that a deciding factor. Even though I switched to a Canon 5D 2 years ago, I still find my Fuji S2 a more natural camera to use.

wrinkles
wrinkles e2 Member 5345 forum postswrinkles vcard United Kingdom
17 Jan 2009 - 12:12 PM

I use Minolta/Sony digital only because I used Minolta film cameras.

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 1:06 PM

Quote: Nikon VS Cannon?

One is a camera and the other is a military weapon, so for photography Nikon Wink

Sorry Andy couldn't resist.

I have owned both, but really it is about ergonomics, and the requirements of individuals are different. The Nikon just suits my smaller hands than the equivalent Canon model.

When comparing images straight from camera it is important to remember if the settings are exactly the same or as similar as can be.

I find the Canon AF tens to be more responsive to locking on to a moving target, but as I said the ergonomics dictate that the Nikon is easier to use for me, so for long term comfort I have to live with a slightly more quirky AF system. That said, once you get used to it and how it works there's probably not much in it.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 2:34 PM

the only difference that I have noticed (that is mostly applicable to me) is that Canon have a 5 times life size macro lens and Nikon don't. For me that means I will always have a canon about the place and chances are will only ever shoot canon (affording a full wildlife setup is costly enough!!).

I don't consider nikon lesser and (At the moment) their high ISO noise control appears to be better than canon in the midrange bodies - but I don't put much stock with camera bodies since they shift and change so often.

ShutterNutter
17 Jan 2009 - 5:50 PM

I once owned both Nikon & Canon ... and now I own only Nikon. In fact, my wife have just reminded me, for the last 27 years of marriage she shared me with more Nikons than Canons !

On a personal note, I always find Nikon more 'logical' (to my mind) and straight forward, there're A, P, S which I understand, and none of this Tv, Av etc....

KBan
KBan  9456 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 5:57 PM

Nikon V Canon is like tea or coffee, black or white, Ford or Vauxhall.......Etc. Etc.............The choice is personal prefrence.

Keith

steve_kershaw
17 Jan 2009 - 6:26 PM

the main difference between Nikon and Canon is the user it attracts, Nikon users are mostly grey haired old ex-train spotter types, whereas, Canon user are a more Verile bunch entirely,
just look around these forums and you will see Wink

on a personal note, my barber and doctor have agreed that I have got probably another 10 years on Canon before I have to change to Nikon Smile

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 6:32 PM

Quote: Canon user are a more Verile bunch entirely

But they are also well known for their inability to spell Wink

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2009 - 6:36 PM

Pordan?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.