Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon vs Canon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

andychatt
andychatt  3 England
7 Jan 2012 - 7:00 PM

Quite a few people are getting a little bit over exited by the newly announced Nikon D4. It looks to be a great camera but at a great cost and not much cheaper than the D3X. I know - they are different cameras - the D4 amazing low light/speed potential for sports/reportage & the D3X 24.5 px excellent for detail and big prints for studio/landscape. If i could afford either i would go for the D3x for sure as i am a landscape enthusiast. I use a Nikon D300 (my first digital camera) which i love but now and again i wonder if i bought the wrong camera. Had i been more knowledgeable at the time i'd probably have gone to Canon for the 5D - full frame more pixels. The Canon 5D MK11 is currently available for around £1500 - amazing and i am so tempted to jump ship because i can't afford those specs at Nikon. The D5 MK11 has the 1Ds mk111 21 mpx sensor too wow- if it's good enough for Mr Noton & Co! I was not interested in upgrading to the Nikon D700 or D3s for the full frame because they are still 12.1 mpx - my D300 is 12.3. I wanted a full frame, more pixels and a compact cheaper/lighter body which i could afford (like the Canon 5D mk11) but Nikon have produced another mega-buck camera out of the enthusiasts reach. I also want to upgrade to pro lens's now so i need to decide on Nikon or Canon before i buy any more Nikon lens's.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jan 2012 - 7:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
7 Jan 2012 - 7:50 PM

Andychatt,

first of all, I use Canon, as that is the brand that I first bought into.

You should therefore explain what made you decide to purchase the Nikon D300, which I am assured is a wonderful camera. Why can't you just simply upgrade your Nikon lens to their pro quality lenses? Why the need for extra pixels?

In the last few years, it always baffled me as to why Nikon cameras usually have less pixel count than the Canon counterparts. I have yet to hear anyone complain about the image quality available from a camera like the D3. As far as I can tell, photos shot on D3, D2 etc., are just as comparable to anything a Canon camera could produce.

As far as I'm concerned, all this nonsense talk, regarding Canon versus Nikon is complete utter rubbish. What really matters is the camera that suits each individual.

Blimey, even Karl Taylor, a pro, can apparently teach you to take a wonder shot, using a compact!! And why not?

So don't worry about the camera Mr. Noton has. I'm sure he knows exactly how to use it. As for me? I'm still trying to make sense of my 7D, although, I think it's a thing of beauty!Wink

Frank.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 8:08 PM

Quote: my D300 is 12.3. I wanted a full frame, more pixels and a compact cheaper/lighter body which i could afford

Just waiting for a D700 replacement. Smile

User_Removed
7 Jan 2012 - 8:17 PM

(I'm losing the will to live!!!)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Jan 2012 - 8:20 PM
PSILVERMAN
7 Jan 2012 - 8:21 PM

Megapixels are not the be all and end all. Nikon have realised this and have taken to going down the high iso capability route rather than stick a load of mp's in there. Along with my D700's I have a D300 and have no complaints whatsoever. It has been all around the world with me and I've had some cracking shots out of it and a lot with my library that have sold. Maybe it's a case of learning to use what you have effectively before jumping ship believing it to be the great panacea.

User_Removed
7 Jan 2012 - 8:23 PM

Quote: Maybe it's a case of learning to use what you have effectively before jumping ship believing it to be the great panacea.

** sigh **

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014448 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 8:40 PM

What's that saying about the grass always being greener.........Tongue

User_Removed
7 Jan 2012 - 8:41 PM

Yup!!!

Wink

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
7 Jan 2012 - 8:45 PM

I've always had a thing, about making sure that I eat my greens!

Unless you're talking about Peter Green - now we're talking!! ( Says the man who used to have a bad speech impediment! )Grin

Frank.

User_Removed
7 Jan 2012 - 8:50 PM

Quote: now we're talking!! (

( B L I S S !!!!)

big fella
big fella  11485 forum posts England
7 Jan 2012 - 8:59 PM

Mike,

I knew you were a "Man of the World"! :0)

User_Removed
7 Jan 2012 - 9:08 PM

Wink

Grin

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 10:27 PM

Quote: not interested in upgrading to the Nikon D700 or D3s for the full frame because they are still 12.1 mpx - my D300 is 12.3. I wanted a full frame, more pixels

Anyone remember those " Smash TV adverts " You know the one with the " Aliens " laughing thier heads off, Because the Earthlings still peel/chop & mash thier spuds.....Smile ? ? ?

The above quote and that old advert have a great deal in common......Grin

PMSL.....Grin

Off to do the rounds looking for something even dafter to have a larf at.....Sad

Just realised its saturday too......Wink

Jestertheclown
7 Jan 2012 - 10:41 PM

". . . and then they smash them all to bits."

Those were my favourite all-time adverts!

User_Removed
7 Jan 2012 - 10:43 PM

It still cracks me up, especially at the end when they are helpless with laughter Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.