Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Nikon vs Canon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 10:48 PM

Andy assuming you have some decent Nikon glass it may be better to hang on a bit and see what the D700 replacement is like before you go changing, the D4 is aimed at a different user and its trying to optimise for good resolution and excellent low noise at high ISO. If Nikon do what they did last time then @ 6 months after the D4 a D800 or equivalent will roll up with the self same sensor. To me the D700 always struck me as the sweet spot of the Nikon range. but that's me. I have heard it said that for current sensor technology full frame of 16 to 18mp is a very good compromise between resolution and high ISO performance. Its not for no reason that the top models from Nikon and Canon are converging there.

I guess it depends what you do but the 5D MKII and D700 are quite different beast, the Canon offering more resolution but the Nikon offering better high ISO performance and a more complex feature set, e.g. a more comprehensive AF system. But depending what you do those items will either appeal or not. Personally I find A3 is as big as I go, and in that light 12mp is fine, I guess a bit more is nice to allow for cropping. But if you focus on landscapes and large prints then the 5D MKII or A900 have advantages.

RE Number of pixels, Thom Hogan a fairly popular Nikon shooter/pundit had this article that may or may not help.

Having said that I do like the 5D MKII and yes its price is getting interesting as it reached end of life. For me what I would like Canon to do is to keep the pixel count about the same but add in features from the 7D, like wireless Flash control and the AF module and better weather proofing. I like the way that even though you crop to EF-S size you still have an @ 8mp image. Or to drop the 5D MKII price to @ 1,200. But sadly I doubt that will happen and I am certain that a 5D MKIII body will be up @ 2,000 again.

Last Modified By strawman at 7 Jan 2012 - 10:50 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jan 2012 - 10:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014483 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jan 2012 - 10:56 PM

Andy, think about it; white lenses?????

Jestertheclown
7 Jan 2012 - 11:07 PM

That's an excellent article Strawman.

Bookmarked and Pdfed. (Is that a word?)

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62434 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
8 Jan 2012 - 12:16 PM

Quote: Quite a few people are getting a

Are you making a not uncommon error?
You do not often get discounts on the day of a major new product launch Wink
You can view Nikon's January 2012 price list at http://www.nikon.co.uk/customer_services/brochure_request/pricelist/files/ukpric...
The D3s lists at 4,382 with a street price around 3,500.
The D3x lists at 6253 with a street price around 5,100.
The D4 "official" price of 4,799 is about 10% more than the D3s - and neither Nikon or retailers are going to "give away" a new top sports photographers body so close to the Olympics Wink
My guess is, not too long after the Olympics, the D4 street will be just below 4,000 with the D3x (if not upgraded by then) still over 5,000.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.