Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nintendo Wii - what do I need?

trivets12 10 1.2k
21 Nov 2010 5:23PM
I'm thinking about buying a Wii, but without wishing to sound like a complete eejit, what do I actually need? Obviously the console but there seems to be lots of extra bits to buy seperately.
I'd like to be able to play puzzle games but also some where I can leap about in the lounge etc.
Any recommendations?
Thanks
Trudy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
21 Nov 2010 5:39PM
You usually get one Wii controller so you'll need extra controllers for extra family members friends (up to four can play). And you also need a Nunchuk if you want to play certain games (again up to four required).
The Balance board is good if you want to get fit or do yoga.
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
21 Nov 2010 7:10PM
Batteries for the handsets - its the one thing that annoys me about the Wii; you can't recharge the controllers from the main console like you can with the PS3.
dlegros 12 217 England
21 Nov 2010 7:14PM
There are various rechargeable battery options for the Wiimotes.

ATM I am using Eneloop style batteries, but I am waiting to take delivery of the Madkatz Inductive charger (from 7dayshop) to give that a try.

Soooo many controllers to charge now!
Smile
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
22 Nov 2010 8:39AM

Quote:Batteries for the handsets - its the one thing that annoys me about the Wii; you can't recharge the controllers from the main console like you can with the PS3.

You can get stand-a-lone recharging consoles...try Asda for rechargeable battery units...they were 5 each last time I bought some.

You might also need the balance board if you want to weigh yourself or do exercise (you can also get plastic covers for the balance board - which operate off rechargeable batteries too (AA) - so get yourself a battery recharger).

If you've got wi-fi in the house you can access other internet features through the console.

As Pete says, you will need controllers and nunchucks - you might also like to get the plus versions of the hand units as they are more sensitive to hand movements and (I think) you will need them if you want to things like boxing or martial arts. Smile
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 8:57AM
I just use ordinary re-chargeable batteries in the Wii we have and as my compact also takes AA ones we have ones on charge nearly all the time.
Michelle_S 7 529 England
22 Nov 2010 9:07AM
Previous posters seem to have all bases covered but for me one must have is the Just Dance (1 or 2) game lol,great fun (lots of leaping about haha) and is great for family get togethers Wink
mohikan22 10 2.2k 1 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 9:37AM
its all about teh x360 and the KINECT... awesome interaction..
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 10:08AM

Quote:Its all about teh x360 and the KINECT... awesome interaction..
Is there a Babel fish type page that translates this to English Wink

This product is an option for charging
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
22 Nov 2010 12:46PM

Quote:This product is an option for charging

or this one... Dual Charging Station Smile
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2010 6:04PM
make sure your controllers have the rubber casing on for grip, either that or move anything of value out of the way and put a guard over the TV screen ;0
22 Nov 2010 6:59PM
You might also want to get your self a good supply of Ralgex, all that jumping about and swinging arms puts a strain on muscles not often used Grin
dlegros 12 217 England
23 Nov 2010 1:29PM

Quote:Its all about teh x360 and the KINECT... awesome interaction.. Is there a Babel fish type page that translates this to English Wink

This product is an option for charging

That's the one I hinted at in my post - just waiting for it to arrive.

I tried one like Cats linked to, but it's a pain to keep taking the silicon jackets off, especially with MotionPlus controllers.

Dom

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.