Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Nissin Di622 Mark ii or YONGNUO Speedlite YN-560 II-EUL (with d5100)

vinod1067 2 9 India
8 Aug 2012 2:51PM
Hi Friends,

I have decided to buy an external flash for my nikon d5100. My options are
* YONGNUO Flash Unit Speedlite YN-560 II-EUL and
* Nissin Di622 Mark ii

Since d5100 built-in flash cant support wireless commander mode i have planned to buy "Yongnuo RF-603N wireless trigger/receiver set."

And now i need help on,
* Which flash is better to buy? Nissin Di622 Mark ii or Yongnuo YN560 II-EUL
* if Nissin is better, will "Yongnuo RF-603N wireless trigger/receiver set." support Nissin Di622 Mark ii??

Your suggestions will really help me a lot. And if u have any other better options kindly suggest.

Cheers,
Vinod

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 3:36PM
Hi Vinod1067 - welcome to EPZ.

I have the Nissin Di622 - its the mark one, and I find it does the job very well. It doesnt have all the modes of the Canon EX flashes, but at less than 1/3 of the price, i'm not too bothered!!

I did however have some problems getting it to fire off camera with a third party trigger. Have read others having the same issue too - maybe just a problem with the mark 1, but not sure!

I have also read a lot about the Yongnuo's having quite a short life.
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2012 5:43PM
I have the NIssin Markii and have been very happy with it. I don't know anything about the Yongnuo I'm afraid.
P_Morgan 4 8 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2012 3:50AM
I have the Nissin Di622 II and the MkI 560 and use RF603 triggers.

The Nissin is a iTTL flash and will work "automatically" on your D5100 when on camera. Off camera the Nissin supports CLS in slave mode, unfortunately, your D5100 doesn't have a commander mode; so you would have to shoot manual with either the pop up flash triggering the built in optical trigger or use a RF603 type wireless trigger.

The Yongnuo 560 is a purely manual flash with optical triggering, which will work with any camera with a hotshoe but it does not support iTTL. The 560 is more suited to "strobist" (see http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/03/lighting-101.html ) manual off camera flash use. It's build quality is pretty good considering it's so cheap.

Both work reliably with RF603 triggers. Note that these are simple triggers and only will fire the speedlight/s; they do not support CLS (or auto iTTL) so they only work in manual mode.

If you intend to mainly shoot manual and off camera the 560 is fine. For more flexibility the Nissin is better as it will work on camera with iTTL.
vinod1067 2 9 India
9 Aug 2012 6:41AM
Thanks all.

Quote:I have the Nissin Di622 II and the MkI 560 and use RF603 triggers.

The Nissin is a iTTL flash and will work "automatically" on your D5100 when on camera. Off camera the Nissin supports CLS in slave mode, unfortunately, your D5100 doesn't have a commander mode; so you would have to shoot manual with either the pop up flash triggering the built in optical trigger or use a RF603 type wireless trigger.

The Yongnuo 560 is a purely manual flash with optical triggering, which will work with any camera with a hotshoe but it does not support iTTL. The 560 is more suited to "strobist" (see http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/03/lighting-101.html ) manual off camera flash use. It's build quality is pretty good considering it's so cheap.

Both work reliably with RF603 triggers. Note that these are simple triggers and only will fire the speedlight/s; they do not support CLS (or auto iTTL) so they only work in manual mode.

If you intend to mainly shoot manual and off camera the 560 is fine. For more flexibility the Nissin is better as it will work on camera with iTTL.

Morgan,
Thanks a lot for ur views and suggestions. So if i buy nissin, can i fire it off camera using my built in d5100 flash? I am ready to buy RF603 triggers if necessary. All i need is, i want to use this flash both on camera and off camera and i should be able to fire it off camera(wireless). So i narrow down my doubt,

*Is it really necessary to buy RF603 triggers to use nissin off camera?
* From ur above comment i understand that RF603 triggers will be compatible with Nissin and d5100. is that sure morgan?
* And if possible can u give me some details about what exactly manual mode in flash means. if trigger doesn support CLS or auto iTTL, will have any greater impact or drawback?

Thanks,
Vinod
9 Aug 2012 7:23AM
Vinod,

to answer your questions:

- no you don't have to buy the RF603 just to trigger the Nissin off camera as the Nissin has a built in optical trigger which fires the flash when it sees the pop up flash of your D5100 fire. To do this you would need to set your built in flash to manual, then lower its output so the pop up flash doesn't alter the exposure, only enough output to trigger the Nissin. This will work well enough, but might not be as reliable outside in bright sun compared to the wireless RF603 triggers. You also have to make sure the sensor on the front of the Nissin can see your built in flash, so carefully positioning the Nissin becomes important.

-I've not used the RF603 with the D5100, but have used them with D5000, D7000 and D90, and Nissin Di 622 Mk II. The Nissin MkII version is important as it is more compatible with wireless triggers than the earlier Mk I. All I can say is it is very likely that they would work fine.

-The D5100 has no built in commander mode so the pop up flash can't send iTTL control signals to off camera flashes. This means the off camera flash power would have to be set manually by you on the back of the flash and your D5100 would have to have its exposure set in manual mode. This isn't as difficult as it may sound but is a slower approach with a learning curve. In fact it would teach you a great deal about using off camera flash. Check out the strobist link I posted before for a detailed explanation. Manual use like this is typically good for portraits and situations where you have the time to take test shots and adjust your settings to get the exposure you want.

Using the flash on camera is much easier, just fit the flash, turn it on and it's ready to go in auto mode (iTTL).

Hope this helps
vinod1067 2 9 India
9 Aug 2012 9:12AM
Morgan,
Thanks Morgan. It really helps. Thanks a lot again. Had confusions in understanding all these stuffs. U clarified it in a simple yet very clear way.

I would like to know if any books or links that u had referred for learning terminologies and technologies about flashes. It will help for learners/amateursSmile

Regards,
Vinod
9 Aug 2012 4:20PM
Vinod
there's a lot of info online but this is particularly good
http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/1-natural-looking-flash/
Neil van Neikerk also has two books on flash. e.g. http://neilvn.com/tangents/about/book2/

The Strobist 101 is also a standard starting point http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Enjoy your flash!
vinod1067 2 9 India
26 Oct 2012 8:06AM
I am using recently bought Nissin Di622 Mark ii flash with nikon d5100. Since i have to set my flash power manually to use it off camera, i am setting flash power in 0.5 increments or decrements which is the only way possible in my flash(using button provided in flash). I just want to know if there is any other way to control flash power manually because i sometimes feel even the least power set in flash (using button provided in flash) is high and i still feel like reducing the power for my experiments.

Thanks,
vinod
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 9:33AM
You could try covering the flash head with tissue paper or a handkerchief perhaps.
26 Oct 2012 12:54PM
Remember flash photography is actually two exposures happening at once - the first is the ambient light and the second is the flash. Your various settings balance the flash against the ambient light. So if your flash is at minimum power and still too bright try
- moving the flash further away from the subject (this can make shadows harder though)
- bouncing the flash or using a diffusing umbrella etc. Bouncing the flash off a white sheet can work too.
- directly diffusing the flash more (yes the tissue paper will work)
- choking the flash exposure by using a smaller aperture (shutter speed affects the ambient light, not flash). Your camera should be in Manual mode for this set the shutter speed to the sync speed or below (ie < 250th/sec) and start with a middling aperture f5.6 and work from there.
- making sure you are at minimum ISO (increasing ISO by one stop can double the apparent power of a flash)
- using a ND filter on your lens or a ND gel on the flash itself will allow larger apertures but maintain the exposure. (ND = Neutral Density a grey filter that lowers light)

The Nissin goes down to 1/32nd power that should be ok.
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 2:20PM
So much more eloquently put than using toilet paper on the front of your flash Smile
vinod1067 2 9 India
23 Jan 2013 12:26PM
Hi,

I am using Nikon d5100 and a Nissin Di II flash. Since i can fire off camera flash only with the help of in built flash in d5100 i bought a transceiver set. Now i can fire off camera flash in manual mode and its perfectly fine. But my doubt is,

* whether i can control or sync my shutter with off camera flash? Is there any way to do it?

* Is it possible to use any of the flash modes(rear sync etc.) if i am using transceiver to fire off camera flash.

Your suggestions will help me a lot.

Thanks,
Vinod

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.