Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

NJB Studio - your comments appreciated!

RokGeetar e2
6 202 England
10 Feb 2009 10:48AM
Hello

Firstly, I am a strictly amateur photographer, just a beginner really. I've been trying to get a website together for a while, and I would like to get some comments on my latest attempt.

njbstudio.com

I use photium.com as my host which I can't recommend highly enough - easy to use, customise and maintain, and Will, the support guy, is top notch and very quick at doing any tweaks you ask for.

I'm trying to build up a portfolio and I realise that many (all?) of the photos on the site are sub-par, and as I get better I will replace most of them. I would very much like your thoughts on the website layout rather than the quality of my photos!

Many thanks
Neil

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Angi_Wallace e2
6 172 10 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2009 8:34PM
The layout is nice and navigation easy, a great start.
RokGeetar e2
6 202 England
12 Feb 2009 12:24PM
Thanks Z, appreciated
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2009 12:41PM
What would be really good is if you could get some of your photos as backgrounds (or even a slideshow) to your music. Smile

Ian
Richsr e2
7 90 211 England
12 Feb 2009 1:05PM
Looks a good start however would suggest a colour picture on the front page to lift it a bit as it all looks a bit grey - good suggestion from Ian too.
regards Richard.
RokGeetar e2
6 202 England
12 Feb 2009 1:49PM
Thanks guys
Hmm, too grey! I seem to get stuck in a 'theme' rut a bit too often! Now you mention it a bit of colour wouldn't go amiss!
maggie9 e2
6 45 2 Scotland
12 Feb 2009 2:14PM
really enjoyed my visit! very proffessional and slick, i really liked the homepage header ....all the best to you Smile
RokGeetar e2
6 202 England
12 Feb 2009 3:46PM
Thank you very much Maggie! Smile
PWhittle e2
8 176 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2009 10:12AM
personally not too keen on red text, and really when putting a website together people should (though very rarely do) consider accessibility standards - ie letting those with less than perfect vision read your site (not always easy for a photo-based site!)

There's also a lot of info on the front page. This is good for Google, but if you research web design (and design in general for that matter), people really don't stop to read text. Impatient people like me will have a quick scan, and if they can't quickly find what they want, they'll hit the Back button. If you use Google analytics, you can see how long people spend on your site - which can be quite shocking!

I think front pages should be easy to read intros and summaries - tell the viewer what the site is, and let them find info they may want to see.
Detail can then be added to the pages they have chosen due their relevance.

Just my thoughts - though I have put a lot of time money and effort into researching this to improve my own site.
RokGeetar e2
6 202 England
14 Feb 2009 8:12AM
Thanks for your feedback Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.