Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nkon converter

geniehawk e2
8 181 England
6 Apr 2008 9:01AM
Hi All, does any one have any experience of using a Nikon TC-201 converter with a Nikon 80-400 lens. I am thinking of buying one as it's one way of getting a longer lens without spending a fortune! Any info would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
Jeannie.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
6 Apr 2008 11:05AM
Just check with Nikon that the rear lens element will not make contact with the front lens of the convertor......This can be the case with some lens/convertor combinations....!
geniehawk e2
8 181 England
6 Apr 2008 1:43PM
Thanks Vince, I did ask Nikon which converter to use and was told this one, but to be aware it might cause vignetting(sp). I was wondering if any one had any knowledge of this.

Jeannie.
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
6 Apr 2008 2:07PM
Personally I would not waste any money on buying a converter for a f5.6 zoom lens. You are going to lose AF and quality is likely to be no better and maybe worse that taking a digital crop.
geniehawk e2
8 181 England
6 Apr 2008 2:19PM
THanks for your replies, very helpful, I maywell have to rethink.

Jeannie.
6 Apr 2008 4:26PM
The TC 201 does not support AF, VR, TTL flash, or shutter and program meter modes.
The instruction book for the 80-400 says the 201 is compatible, but as already suggested at effective f11 I would not bother.
The Kenko Pro 300 1.4x supports VR and in good light/static subjects supports AF - but both slow up.
geniehawk e2
8 181 England
6 Apr 2008 4:51PM
Thanks for the info Len, I have decided not to purchase the converter.I will keep saving the money until I am sure what I want.

Jeannie.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.