Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

No dslr allowed

miked70 5 225 3 South Africa
25 Nov 2010 7:10AM
Makes you think
who will join them?

http://thenextweb.com/me/2010/11/23/kuwait-dslr-camera-ban-now-in-effect/

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mohikan22 10 2.2k 1 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 7:36AM
Thats is just rediculous. But how long before they use that here under and Anti Terrorist theme?...........
peted01 5 72 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 7:37AM
Been like that in saudi for years

Ok in the desert etc but never really got any of the photos I wanted to in town, villages or cities. You had to be sooooo carefull.
miked70 5 225 3 South Africa
25 Nov 2010 8:06AM
maybe everybody should not go there as tourist see how that effect the country income
25 Nov 2010 8:31AM
You can see it having a big effect on tourism, but saying that you get some stunning output from compacts. The other thing that springs to mind is that most tourists, unless their pro togs looking for that one shot, are less likely to take their full kit with them, especially given the heat, dust and sand, they're more likely to be traveling light maybe with a top end compact anyway.

Still a slightly draconian ruling to most westerners i would think.

jk
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 9:55AM

Quote:Still a slightly draconian ruling to most westerners i would think.

Yeah, the Middle East has a few more rules that would not fit in a Western society. Stones spring to mind.................................. Colin
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
25 Nov 2010 10:18AM
they're off my list!! Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
25 Nov 2010 10:47AM
Interesting quote from the article:

Quote:What I sadly discovered is that most of the Kuwaiti public actually welcome the ban.

Oh well, we'll just have to use our Leica M9s won't we! Grin

I have to say, even in the UK, one sometimes gets funny looks from people if using a DSLR - especially if their children are within about a quarter of a mile!! No such paranoia exists if using a compact or camera phone. Or probably, these days, the Micro-4/3 type of camera.

Hmm... I wonder how the Kuwaiti authorities would deal with an M4/3 ?
mattw 10 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 11:25AM
Or just turn up with a film SLR???

Or if you have the money, a digital medium formt Wink
gaelldew 7 277 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 11:42AM

Quote:Maybe everybody should not go there as tourist see how that effect the country income

Dont think that would bother them too much.
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Nov 2010 11:50AM
For sure they are a strange people, They quite happily squander trillions and trillions of dollars/pounds worth of cash, Building stupid skyscrapers and even dafter " Ski Slopes " in the desert, Just to impress the rest of the world, Then expect tourists by the truck load to come and spend time & money admiring their acheivements.....!!!

Banning photography in public, Would not have surprised me, Hell! You can't even " Snog " your missus on the beach, Without fear of capital punishment......Grin

But just banning a particular type of camera, Now that is very weird, Even for them......Smile

Either they have a dark & devious reason for this, OR perhaps they have not looked at, Or tried the newer breed of compacts, Such as Sony's NEX models with APC sensors and changeable lens types.

At the end of the day, Its their country, They can do what the heck they like, But like many of their rules and regulations, They are at odds with the 21st century, Whilst trying to be a leading example of over the top accessories.

Its not a place I would consider going to, Even without the DSLR ban, For a start there is no scenery, Unless your a sandworm, Its way to expensive just for a laugh at tall pointy buildings, Wobbling around in the breeze of a man made island.....Grin No lets face it, There are more interesting and more inviting places to go......Smile Smile Smile

Like Siberia or Stalingrad for example......Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
25 Nov 2010 12:20PM
What would happen if I turned up with a camcorder? Grin Maybe it would depend on the size i.e.

One of these:

camcorder01.jpg

or one of these:

camcorder02.jpg

john64 e2
10 824 England
25 Nov 2010 1:31PM

Quote:...Its their country, They can do what the heck they like...

Shame that's not the case in the UK.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
25 Nov 2010 2:24PM
In the UK, our masters have been doing what the heck they like for some years. It's the peasants like me that have the old freedoms curtailed.
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2010 2:50PM
One mans liberty can be anotherís persecution;
Generally weíd like to ban terrorists from taking photos, but not tourists or togs.
But weíd also not want to be constantly recorded by CCTV, not have over zealous paparazzi on the doorstep or on motorbikes chasing cars, we donít want peeping tomís or stalkers using such technology either. Do we allow every move of every human to be recorded so we can blackmail or humiliate then later?
Just who can you trust or distrust to keep a balance on the moral centre of a society without allowing dubious skewing to pander to any extreme?
I guess they, like us, are trying to find that balence. Its wrong for me, i hope they realise the same in time.

p.s. With life having so many challenges itís a shame that many parts of the world want to construct restraints that continue to turn us against each other, Iím glad that others grow out of this darwiniem fight and win mentality and head towards a coexisting human society.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.