Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

no fruit no salad

arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2014 11:18PM

Quote:Is anything more balanced than a ham and pineapple pizza?

Nothing comes remotely close Keith -
The particularly unique, symbiotic relationship between ham and pineapple, that produces micro-mega bio-flavinoids that are unsurpassed by any combination of vitamins and/or minerals, and these bio-flavinoids become more powerful if the pizza is left until after sell-by date before eating.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
1 Sep 2014 11:29PM
Or deep fried Pizza Crunch Scottish Style. Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
1 Sep 2014 11:49PM
Don`t you all find British cooking is a tad bland, I grew up on Caribbean cuisine, that of 40 years ago.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 12:00AM
If anyone can tell me what 'British food' is nowadays I will tell you.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
2 Sep 2014 2:19AM
Caribbean food may be tasty but whenever i see cookery programmes it comes across as the most predicatable menu of any ... Ackee, salt fish, jerk chicken, goat curry, rice and peas, plantain. Rum based desserts. Im sure it is delicious tho.

On the subject of fruit & veg .. I never ate any fruit or veg with the exception of tinned carrots and peas. I recently bought a Vitamix blender and in the past month I have probably eaten more fruit and veg than in the past 2 or 3 years combined. I am even becoming accustomed to the tastes and now try off the shelf, unblended fruits that I have previously disliked and find them quite enjoyable and sometimes surprisingly delicious. It cost me a small fortune but hopefully the blender will make me a little healthier and justify the price.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Sep 2014 2:50AM

Quote:Caribbean food may be tasty but whenever i see cookery programmes it comes across as the most predicatable menu of any ... Ackee, salt fish, jerk chicken, goat curry, rice and peas, plantain. Rum based desserts. Im sure it is delicious tho.

Yes the menu`s are watered down, especially by these cooking programs Smile

I grew up on the stuff, and still cook it on occasions now.

I can understand British people not liking there vegetables, British cooking has always been a little plain.

Nip across the channel and even the vegetables start tasting better.

Quote:Rum based desserts

Including our wedding cake, the fruit sat for a year in rum before mixing and baking Smile
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
2 Sep 2014 3:39AM
I've eaten my share of Caribbean food, and I have to say, I settled on flying fish and plantain as a particular favorite of mine, with no sauce, batter or breading on the fish, and a thin corn flour coating on the plantain; it happens to be the national meal of Bobbidose.Wink When I was laying over in Europe, I almost starved to death; the helpings are so tiny, one enters a restaurant, spends a small fortune, and leaves hungry. We stayed at a hotel in Brighton that had a huge dining room, and the prices were just as huge. However, they gave aircrew a 50% discount, which brought the prices down to about 50% of what we paid in North America. The buffet dinner was along the same theme as North American Buffets, all you can eat for a fixed price; I really enjoyed the one in Brighton; steak and kidney pie, roast beef, lamb stew, fish, all kinds of fruit and salads, it was worth every penny.

To answer the OP's question; my wife doesn't like fresh fruit or tossed salads, she says she can't digest them. It's probably true, because where she grew up they didn't have any of that in their diet, and probably for several generations before. However, I thought the idea of tossed salads is not to digest them, but have them pass through quickly and take the toxins with them?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
2 Sep 2014 3:53AM
I have something to add that sticks in my craw, literally; most fresh fruit sold in the stores today has been genetically altered to give a long shelf life. Eg., apples, they're as hard as can be, and the skin is thick and tough, is there any need? I've given up buying them. Then we're getting fruit from Mexico, Central and South America, New Zealand, and Africa; most of it is as sour as all getout, and has absolutely no flavour. New Zealand apples used to be good, but now they sit in the bowl untouched. In summer we get fresh peaches, apricots, plums, cherries, etc. from British Columbia, but then it's back to the old grind of imported, beautiful looking, but flavourless fruit. After the summer local harvest is over, we start buying frozen veggies till next season, the imported stuff looks real good, but that's about it.

Remember when an apple smelled like an apple, and your mouth was watering before you took that first bite, which was delicious?Tongue I remember the Boy Scouts used to go round in the fall door to door selling MacIntosh apples by the case, you could smell them before you opened the door, the apples, not the Scouts. Now it's all looks, and longevity.Tongue
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 8:07AM

Quote:Is anything more balanced than a ham and pineapple pizza?

A balanced meal for an unbalanced mind.
TanyaH e2
11 686 77 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 11:10AM
Hah, you try living with a man who thinks a packet of Haribo is one of his 5-a-day!!! Sad

Me personally, I love veg. Fruit too, although I probably don't eat enough of it Smile Bearing in mind that some green, leafy veg are supposed to be cancer-inhibitors, then things like brocolli start to look pretty damn good!
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 3:17PM
I laugh when people talk about the Mediterranean diet being something to aspire to. If you go to any restaurant around here in the south of France you'll be lucky to see any veg. Pork, duck, wild boar, sausages, processed meats are what you will normally see, though salads are also available. Fish and seafood of course. However, when it comes to home cooking, if you are prepared to keep to seasonal food, you cannot get better. We have a family in the village who grow asparagus, peaches (bigger than cricket balls!), apricots,apples and melons the like of which you will never find in any supermarket. A bite into one of their apples will need you to change your shirt Smile
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
2 Sep 2014 4:36PM
I found the Italian food very fatty and unhealthy when I went there. Lots of fat on the meat and not much veg. And we were hosted by real Italians so they weren't just catering for tourists. I was glad to get home as I felt like a slug by day 3.
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 4:49PM
Used to dj at a hotel as a kid. Was able to get a plate from the carvery for free. I used to love all the different salad items, others would get loads of meat I'd get loads of veg.

Also love the salad bar at Morrisons and I used to go to kebab shops to buy only salad in pitta bread. Would spend a bit of time at home making my own coleslaws and potato salads.

Healthwise a lot of the stuff I mentioned is probably covered in oils and salts but I do think salad veg can be extremely tasty
TanyaH e2
11 686 77 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2014 5:26PM

Quote:Also love the salad bar at Morrisons and I used to go to kebab shops to buy only salad in pitta bread.

Oh god, now you've mentioned that my mouth is actually salivating!!! One of the things I love best is to stuff pitta breads with thinly sliced Chinese Leaf, squirt a load of lemon juice over it and add a sprinkle of salt ... one of the best meals EVER in my opinion Grin
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
2 Sep 2014 5:36PM

Quote:pitta breads with thinly sliced Chinese Leaf, squirt a load of lemon juice over it and add a sprinkle of salt ... one of the best meals EVER in my opinion

Such sheltered lives. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.