Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

No new DSLR from Nikon then.... :(

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2011 - 8:43 PM

Thought i would share this link with you.... Nikon press release page, showing all the new cameras they released on the 24th August, and they are all point and shoot. Looks like i will be waiting a little longer for the D800 then. Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Aug 2011 - 8:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
27 Aug 2011 - 8:54 PM

Sad

Wink

User_Removed
27 Aug 2011 - 8:58 PM

I suspect that, in the dSLR field, Nikon have decided to take a 5-year development sabbatical to let Canon catch up.

Wink

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
BarrieNeilPhotography

I imagine it is to do with an agreement Nikon has with Sony that requires Sony to announce their offerings ahead of Nikon. This is what happened with the D3 as I recall. Nikon does have another press conference/announcement scheduled for September

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123911 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2011 - 10:35 PM

I am more than happy to struggle on manfully with the cameras I have rather than wait with bated breath for the next major announcement knowing full well that any new model won't make my equipment automatically worse.

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2011 - 6:41 AM

There is nothing wrong with the gear i have now, i would however like to move to full frame, and dont want the D700, as it doesnt have dual cards, or live view, and HD video all of which i use alot now i have had them.

And i cant afford / dont want to afford the D3x at the moment.... but then the D800 may not be far of that price on its release?

BarrieNeilPhotography

Big leap to the D3x - what about the D3s? An awful lot cheaper than the D3x (but obviously still a lot more expensive than the D700 or its replacement will be) and having had both, the image quality from the D3s knocks spots of the D3x irrespective of the higher resolution of the D3x (it's a very noisy camera by comparison at anything above 200asa)

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
edtaylor
edtaylor  3104 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Aug 2011 - 9:18 AM

I am quite please with my D700. But would like to see what it,s replacement can do that the D700 can not.

thewilliam
28 Aug 2011 - 10:28 AM

Who cares about new releases? I try to keep camera bodies for 5 years or until an update is really necessary.

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2011 - 10:54 AM


Quote: Who cares about new releases? I try to keep camera bodies for 5 years or until an update is really necessary.

Well as a part time 'pro'.... and a hydraulic/mechanical engineer during the week, i can afford for my part time photography to pay for my new gear, which is the only real reason i set it up as a business in the first place. Smile

Photography started as a hobby about 10 years ago, and since then has progressed into more. I like shiny new things Grin, and prefer to spend my money on that, instead of smoking it, or drinking it, of which i do neither.

Some people spend their money on holidays, cars, drinking, smoking, skydiving, etc etc.... i just like spending my hard earned on camera gear, and other electronic gagets Smile.... but mainly camera gear, lol Smile

User_Removed
28 Aug 2011 - 11:23 AM


Quote: I am more than happy to struggle on manfully with the cameras I have rather than wait with bated breath for the next major announcement knowing full well that any new model won't make my equipment automatically worse.

Basic Truism, Peter.

It applies to cameras, computers and many other "consumer" products. The equipment that you bought to do a certain job 10 years ago will still do that job today irrespective of how often the manufacturer has launched new models.

Next Truism: Our "wants" tend to change faster than our "needs", fuelled partly by the manufacturers' PR machine whose main job is to persuade us that the model they sold us a year ago is no longer up to the task.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
28 Aug 2011 - 11:28 AM


Quote: Big leap to the D3x - what about the D3s? An awful lot cheaper than the D3x (but obviously still a lot more expensive than the D700 or its replacement will be) and having had both, the image quality from the D3s knocks spots of the D3x irrespective of the higher resolution of the D3x (it's a very noisy camera by comparison at anything above 200asa)

Very true Barrie. It's horses for courses. The D3s is a far better camera than the D3x for general photography. The D3x is a specialist machine, ideally suited to top-end studio work, especially commercial product photography.

An interesting example of how the pursuit of megapixels is often a fool's errand.

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2011 - 11:32 AM


Quote: I am more than happy to struggle on manfully with the cameras I have rather than wait with bated breath for the next major announcement knowing full well that any new model won't make my equipment automatically worse.

Basic Truism, Peter.

It applies to cameras, computers and many other "consumer" products. The equipment that you bought to do a certain job 10 years ago will still do that job today irrespective of how often the manufacturer has launched new models.

Next Truism: Our "wants" tend to change faster than our "needs", fuelled partly by the manufacturers' PR machine whose main job is to persuade us that the model they sold us a year ago is no longer up to the task.

couldnt agree more.... an 'a reg' escort might well get me from a to b the same as a 7 series bmw, but i would rather have the bmw, and a 10 year old TV (albeit with a freeview box now) would still be fine for watching TV channels on, but i would prefer a 47" flatscreen.

I like 'new' stuff.... and it is becuase i want it that i get it..... strangley, if i NEED something, i tend to think about the price alot more, than if i WANT it.

Although that was one of the first things i was told when i went into retail management many years ago..... make someone WANT it and they will buy it.... if they NEED it, they may not bother 'just yet'

thewilliam
28 Aug 2011 - 12:46 PM

BigRick, I was an amateur for about 40 years before redundancy forced me to turn full-time professional.

Just like you, I liked to use good cameras and so bought high-end models from top-end makers. My cameras were chosen carefully so I never felt the need to "upgrade", especially when a camera had become an extension of my hands and could be used without concious thought. The first Hasselblad purchase, made in the 1970s - or rather two-thirds of it - is still in use with a digiback. This is an illustration of just how long a good camera will last.

Now that She-who-must-be-obeyed has retired from doing weddings and concentrates on studio work, mainly at base ISO, her D2Xs still do the job. Why fix what ain't broke?

The downside of frequent changes of kit is that the snapper will never get the unconcious competence that turns him or her into a photographer. Serious image-makers tend to keep their kit!

BigRick
BigRick  82085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2011 - 2:14 PM


Quote: BigRick, I was an amateur for about 40 years before redundancy forced me to turn full-time professional.

Just like you, I liked to use good cameras and so bought high-end models from top-end makers. My cameras were chosen carefully so I never felt the need to "upgrade", especially when a camera had become an extension of my hands and could be used without concious thought. The first Hasselblad purchase, made in the 1970s - or rather two-thirds of it - is still in use with a digiback. This is an illustration of just how long a good camera will last.

Now that She-who-must-be-obeyed has retired from doing weddings and concentrates on studio work, mainly at base ISO, her D2Xs still do the job. Why fix what ain't broke?The downside of frequent changes of kit is that the snapper will never get the unconcious competence that turns him or her into a photographer. Serious image-makers tend to keep their kit!

I dont think that it has anything to do with 'if it aint broke' , it is more to do with me liking new things....

And from the last sentence, i assume that you also think that i cant be serious, as i change my camera body every now and again?

I can use my camera without looking at it, and i know what every button does, and what i need it to do without thinking.... I had a D80, and then got a D300s.... not much difference in button layout, and the menu system isnt that different. I have had two camera bodies in about 4 years.... not exactly running to the shops every week.... i have had three laptops in that time too.... each one being better/faster than the last, and each one worth (IMO) getting..... crikey i have had about 5 TV's in that time too.... as i get bored easily and like the change. Smile

If someone is happy with using old kit, and it does the job they need it to do, then i am happy for them.... i on the other hand dont want old kit, and never intend to keep anything electronic for more than 2 years, as newer tech generally speaking does things better faster and (looks nicer Tongue) and its just a trend now days to throw away, and buy new.

My parents had second hand furniture and clothes when they were my age.... i have new furniture and clothes, and wouldnt have second hand kitchen stuff.... ever.

If your job is specific, and your gear works, then why would you change.... but my gear is my hobby as well as a way to buy more.... i dont want to turn full time, as i enjoy photography now, and if i went full time, it would become a chore, as i would have to pay the bills with it, and i would have to go out, even when i dont want to.

All in all, it is all about personal choice, and mine is to buy all the gear i can while i am around to enjoy it..... i dont save money, and enjoy life, as i may not be here tomorrow.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.