Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

No-one Has Mentioned The 'S' Word

keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2010 10:16AM
Well ... I've never used 4WD in Plymouth before.
All we have really is a layer of frozen crunchy snow on the pavements and a lot of icy slush on the roads, good job it wasn't any colder.
I'm told the A38 and A30 are both closed, and we haven't heard from our people in Cornwall yet.
People in villages out towards Dartmoor are stuck there.
Very odd seeing palm trees decorated with snow. Doesn't quite look right.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
20 Dec 2010 11:19AM
The pavements are tolderable as there are grass verges which provide a bit of grip but the second I try to cross a road it's truly is like an ice-rink - I thought they were exaggerating Sad Happily I got a bus in which took 3/4 hour to do a 10 minute journey - most of it sliding sideways or getting stuck, but they've stopped now so it's going to be a long slippery walk home for me tonight - yay.....
20 Dec 2010 1:08PM
Big socks or old pullover sleeves pulled over the boots should deal with short walks on slippy stuff.
And sod what it looks like.
Everyone else is too busy falling over to bother laughing at you.

For more serious use http://www.climbers-shop.com/246638/products/Kahtoola_Microspikes.aspx
20 Dec 2010 1:10PM
There do seem to be people who aren't really in rural locations, but they can't get in anyway because the bus doesn't run.
And people who got in but plan on leaving early in case their service stops.
cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
20 Dec 2010 1:50PM
I was reading up on the old socks over boots idea and the concesus seemed to be that whilst it worked for a while they soon became even more slippery than doing without! The only shop in town that sold any kind of grip kept selling out before I could get to them and now they don't know when the next lot might come in.

I think I'll mail order some anyway even though the white stuff may well have gone by the time the post manages to get through Smile

My brief walk round the playing field half an hour ago was quite pleasant but now the snow is back with avengance - at least for now the office is warm and I'll worry about walking home later!
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
20 Dec 2010 1:55PM

Quote:For more serious use http://www.climbers-shop.com/246638/products/Kahtoola_Microspikes.aspx

I have a set, they are brilliant; you can walk on solid ice with total confidence that you wont slip. I guess availability at the moment might be low! (certainly distribution will be tricky)
KarenFB 8 4.3k 163 England
20 Dec 2010 3:05PM
I'm afraid your 'Kahtoola' links don't work!
20 Dec 2010 3:11PM
The original link works for me, the one in quotes doesn't

Anyway, we're closing early. I'm supposed to have left 10 minutes ago.
KarenFB 8 4.3k 163 England
20 Dec 2010 3:14PM
I've found a few here:-

click here
cattyal e2
9 6.1k 6 England
20 Dec 2010 5:33PM
Happily the snow that has been falling consistently all afternoon meant that walking home was considerably easier than this morning. Usually it would take 55 minutes - instead it took 1 hour and 25 minutes - not bad going. I did resemble a snowman on my return with big lumps of ice in my hair but it was pretty and I took a few snaps en route.

I'll still be looking closer at anti-slip gadgets though.....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.