Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

No portfolio...why?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MichaelMelb_AU
10 Jul 2013 - 11:08 AM

I would like to offer a topic for discussion. I have noticed that few members of EPZ have empty portfolios. No photos, greetings or basic info about themselves. Why so stealthy? While it is quite understandable with new members those have not much to show yet, or simply too shy - this gets at least puzzling with the guys that were around for a while. Are you one of them? Even if not - it would be interesting to see some opinions on this paradox. Really, how is it possible to be a hunter without a trophy or a modeller without models? Yet we see some photographers without photographs.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jul 2013 - 11:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2013 - 11:22 AM

Some are not photographers but marketing gimps who like to push their wares and join in chats occasionally to flog their links
Some are just lazy and never get involved

I would say there should be a time limit on how long someone can be a member and not have any input , otherwise the membership numbers are a bit fake

There are also plenty on here that like to argue ( sorry chat ) and never post a photo to back any of their thoughts or views up , thats even more ridiculous to me

robthecamman
10 Jul 2013 - 11:23 AM

must admit iv wondered that too Smile

franken
franken e2 Member 123173 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2013 - 11:50 AM

I agree, as I can't see the point of joining a photography site without participating with uploads etc.

I have noticed a few people who don't upload images although they want you to link with their web site instead which is strange?

Ken.

SteveCharles
10 Jul 2013 - 12:00 PM

I used to think the same, over 10 years here I had a portfolio, won a couple of EC's, a POTW, but I started disagreeing with some things, deleted my PF, and drifted away. I've recently started dipping my toe in the site again, reading the forums, contributing a bit if a thread interests me or I can offer an opinion, but the gallery here doesn't really hold any interest for me anymore. I'm not much into the type of work that largely gets uploaded here, and although I uploaded a couple of shots recently - and will upload more no doubt - I'm actually pretty indifferent to what people think about my work here now. So I understand perfectly now how it's possible to like the interaction of the forum without partaking in the gallery side.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
10 Jul 2013 - 12:03 PM

It all comes back to the same old thing: everybody uses the site in their own way and for their own reasons. There's no compulsion to upload your photos if you don't want to, any more than you have to contribute to the forums. There's little sense in speculating as to the reasons people do what they do, and far less in ascribing motive. Why view it as "stealth"?

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2013 - 12:05 PM

Quote: There are also plenty on here that like to argue ( sorry chat ) and never post a photo to back any of their thoughts or views up , thats even more ridiculous to me

Ain't that the truth......Perhaps they have a fear of being found out Wink Or is that just me being the argumentative and confrontational git that I've been accused of today Blush

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8997 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2013 - 12:23 PM

I'm a bitch today is this what you mean:

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/thewilliam-85059

Now im off to hide. Grin

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 10 Jul 2013 - 12:26 PM
GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8997 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2013 - 12:24 PM

Ade you might be a argumentative and confrontational git but a nice one at that.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 10 Jul 2013 - 12:28 PM
779HOB
779HOB  21033 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 - 12:43 PM

Quote: I'm actually pretty indifferent to what people think about my work here now. So I understand perfectly now how it's possible to like the interaction of the forum without partaking in the gallery side.

I'd second that.

Dann
Dann  1195 forum posts
10 Jul 2013 - 12:46 PM

What Steve Charles says - word for word.

I was a member for 9yrs under my actual name and left, but I decided that there are too many friends here to walk away completely. Some I have PM'd and they know I'm back. Besides, there is no getting away from the fact the site site is a wealth of information.

Like Charles:

Quote: I'm actually pretty indifferent to what people think about my work here

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 10 Jul 2013 - 9:18 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
MichaelMelb_AU
10 Jul 2013 - 12:57 PM

Quote: What Steve Charles says - word for word.

I was a member for 9yrs under my actual name and left, but I decided that there are too many friends here to walk away completely. Some I have PM's and they know I'm back. Besides, there is no getting away from the fact that site site is wealth of information.

Like Charles:

I'm actually pretty indifferent to what people think about my work here

Thanks for your comments, Dan and Steve. It is a pity that you were forced to leave - but I can understand that, and thank you for coming back. I hope everyone will agree that we need people like you that put their love of photography over anyone's personal ambitions and attitudes. Pity though that you decided not to show us the results of your creativity and dedication - but that's up to you. Hope, you will reconsider anywhere soon.Smile

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 10 Jul 2013 - 12:58 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2013 - 2:08 PM

Quote: It all comes back to the same old thing: everybody uses the site in their own way and for their own reasons. There's no compulsion to upload your photos if you don't want to, any more than you have to contribute to the forums. There's little sense in speculating as to the reasons people do what they do, and far less in ascribing motive. Why view it as "stealth"?

yep, there are so many ways to use the site and if you don't want to use the gallery then you don't have too, but personally I find it interesting to see what any members photography is like, I love looking at other peoples work. Its frustrating though to get forum posts claiming this that and the other and not get the slightest bit of 'evidence' even when asked for, its useful so I don't understand the problem - unless of course its down to 'stealth members' and they do exist (not that many though), and not hard to spot on most occasions. And I might add that anyone using a 'stealth' account for malicious reasons is swiftly dealt with Grin

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 10 Jul 2013 - 2:12 PM
Simon_Marlow
Simon_Marlow e2 Member 10140 forum postsSimon_Marlow vcard United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 - 2:13 PM

Seems to be a bit of a theme here.

I first joined in 2004 and took out membership, but drifted away like many others after about 5 years.

I have to say though, since i re-joined a couple of months ago i've really enjoyed being part of the site again.

waineswitch
10 Jul 2013 - 2:19 PM

Due to family issues I haven't done much photography in the last year or so, but still like to look at the gallery from time to time, and follow some of the forums. Still learn and laugh at the humour...
Dorothy

Last Modified By waineswitch at 10 Jul 2013 - 2:22 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.