Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

No portfolio...why?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64365 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2013 - 8:50 AM

I use EPZ as my photo gallery and website. I'm not selling anything or going into business so I don't need a dedicated website of my own. EPZ's brilliant for me and I don't need to faff around updating pics or info, and any clicks or comments are a bonus. At least I get my photos out there and I know people look at them.

When I had websites I might as well have just left my stuff on the memory card for all the attention they got. (Some might say that's because my pics are rubbish, but hey, I don't care). I see no point in belonging to a photo website if you don't upload photos and just use the forums to vent a spleen or two. But having said that, some forum members are very useful and entertaining whether they upload or not, it's just that it would be nice now and again to see some of their work. Smile

EPZ is my window on the photo world and without it I know I wouldn't have moved on much in my photography. Mind you, I might have had a few quid more in the bank. Just stop it with the equipment discussion threads you lot!!! Grin

Last Modified By SlowSong at 11 Jul 2013 - 8:50 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jul 2013 - 8:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
11 Jul 2013 - 9:09 AM

I did find, unexpectedly, my website was found by old friends and long lost relatives, which is why I kept it going. Now they find me on Facebook, and I expect I'll do something different with the website, maybe just a redirect for when people find the cached stuff on Google.
And Facebook is where I put images of family and friends interest, with restricted access.

Mike_Smith
Mike_Smith e2 Member 7121 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2013 - 11:51 PM

i noticed a few times where folk have things for sale under the classified section, but there portfolio is empty. Made me wonder if people joined the site just to sell there gear.

MichaelMelb_AU
11 Jul 2013 - 11:59 PM

Thanks guys, I have more food for thought that I could ask for. What looks a bit worrisome though - so many good people chose to leave. Their coming back is a great attribute to the forum level though - but they are reluctant to be as active as they used to be...

redhed17
redhed17  8652 forum posts England
12 Jul 2013 - 3:14 AM

Do people go and look at images people have uploaded, or not, when they have made a comment in the forum? I can't say I do, not unless a pic has been mentioned that is in someone's gallery. I take everyone's posts on forums, whatever forum, by the content of what they write, not whether they have a portfolio to back up their opinion. :-/

There are many aspects to this site, and I don't use all of them. The galleries are one section that I no longer bother with. :-/ I've just looked, and I haven't uploaded any images since 2007. lol

When I first joined I wanted to get totally involved, and uploaded images. I found the galleries very cliquey though. There were also too many people uploading, so to get any images seen was very hard. Obviously the quality of my pictures may have had something to do with that though. Wink Grin I appreciated when anyone took the time to comment.

When I put pics up on other forums now, I'm usually asking for critique of an image, or opinions on a certain aspect of an image I'm unsure about. I've found other sites better for things like that. I find I'm doing that less and less though. I do now put some pics on 500px, but I like the way it is set up there.

I used to want people to like my pictures, now I don't need that validation. Now I'm happy with my pics, or not, and occasionally want to show the good ones. If people take the time to write something about a picture, at least it's been notable in some way, and that's great. A lot of my images, most times I'm the only one that sees them, and that's fine with me, I enjoy them and that's all that matters.

MichaelMelb_AU
12 Jul 2013 - 7:03 AM

I check the portfolios occasionally - when I don't know the person commenting and something just does not add up in their comment - or when I would like to know a bit more of my fellow forum member. Those picture collections are not called portfolios for something. But that is not the main thing with images for me. I love to show them - because it does not make a lot of sense for me to take them otherwise. Also keeps me tuned to peoples interests and we have great audience here on EPZ. I am not seeking fame or money, but working for a desk drawer (computer hard drive) or family album probably stops the progress in this wonderful hobby. Did anyone reach the top in this and have nowhere else to move? I don't think that would be possible at all.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 12 Jul 2013 - 7:16 AM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014682 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2013 - 7:15 AM

I don't know about others, but I'm the type of person that goes through phases, and the phase I'm in at the time,Tongue will be reflected in my site activity. This is the only site I'm on that might be considered a social site. Sometimes I feel like posting photos, and others I don't, and I've removed my portfolio numerous times; might sound weird, but my portfolio, and forum activity reflect how I'm feeling at the moment.

lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Jul 2013 - 11:59 AM

There are all kinds of reasons why someone doesn't put a portfolio up and no compunction on them to do so, in that it isn't a condition that you do so to use ePZ.

In my case, I rarely if ever take pictures without having some sort of use for them, mainly stock, publication or illustration for my Youtube channel. That's the photography I enjoy and judgement on those pictures is made by mainly non-photographers whose judgement has always seemed to me more valuable than that of other photographers.

After a lifetime in photography. I essentially (like redhed17) don't feel the need for anyone else's approval, my stuff stands or falls by my own standards and I've never come across anyone prepared to judge me so harshly as I do myself. I'd say, for example, that in a long and quite successful photographic career (it paid for me to retire at 55, yippee, lucky or what!) I can't find more than a dozen images I am truly proud of. After a 3 week trip around the American west, I sorted out about 8 that I thought would really interest anyone else and those formed my holiday snaps to show others.

So, a portfolio has no interest or purpose for me. That's my reason. I do still like to participate in the forums though and I don't feel that a lack of portfolio invalidates my opinions or expertise, such as it is. I have a home page but it doesn't really constitute a portfolio so doesn't get me off any hook Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2013 - 12:51 PM

Does anyone look at portfolios on receiving negative feedback?

lemmy
lemmy  71831 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Jul 2013 - 1:40 PM

Quote: Does anyone look at portfolios on receiving negative feedback?

Sorry, ade, not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean looking at their own portfolio on receiving negative feedback or someone else's?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2013 - 11:37 AM

either really

pluckyfilly
pluckyfilly e2 Member 8283 forum postspluckyfilly vcard United Kingdom33 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 8:59 PM

I look at other people's PF's when I get a negative comment or other members get negative comments, I find it interesting to see how they rate in the photography stakes and also cos I am nosey but like Mike above I sometimes wonder if people use epz to sell their kitBlush and if they do not have images to view it would deter me buying from them.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3649 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2013 - 9:12 PM

Ephotozine works for me, I got more constructive criticism and advice in the first week than I had got in the previous couple of years in a Camera Club, and it serves my purposes to the point that I am not renewing my subscription to Clikpic for my website.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.