Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

No UK troops would be deployed in a combat role.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ChrisStyles
ChrisStyles e2 Member 6381 forum postsChrisStyles vcard United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 - 6:10 PM

Now where have we heard that before.......Answers on a postcard please.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2013 - 6:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 6:19 PM

Being in the so say economic climate the government would have us believe we're in, I'm surprised we can afford the fuel.........Just hope to high heaven the militants in Mali haven't hold of any SAM missiles or there will be some very red faces at the MOD when a C17 gets shot down!

Ade

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012607 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 6:20 PM

Whats it got to do with me??

Grin

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 13 Jan 2013 - 6:21 PM
ChrisStyles
13 Jan 2013 - 6:25 PM

Quote: Whats it got to do with me??

Grin

Your a EPZ moderator and were let to believe that you know everything Smile

ChrisStyles
13 Jan 2013 - 6:26 PM

Is there oil in Mali?

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012607 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 6:31 PM

Quote:
Your a EPZ moderator and were let to believe that you know everything

oh well in that case..
Grin

Depends how well the French get on, between me and you I hear that the French were planning on going in later than this but because militants were getting close to a strategic military airport they had to go in sooner, hence the help from the UK.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 6:32 PM

Gold is the major export according to Wiki!

answersonapostcard
13 Jan 2013 - 6:33 PM

Oil, might be, they've been rigorously exploring..

Ade_Osman
13 Jan 2013 - 6:33 PM

Quote: were getting close to a strategic military airport

hmmm.....SAM missiles! Sad

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110307 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 7:23 PM

I'll give it 6 months by which time our troops will be in the thick of it and the French will be back home.

Quote: Now where have we heard that before.......Answers on a postcard please.

Reminds me of John Reid in his speech to Parliament before sending the troops into Afghanistan;

"This is not a warfighting mission and if one shot is fired I will have failed"

I guess he would argue that since not one but many thousands of shot have been fired he didn't fail?

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3651 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 8:24 PM

Why are we even getting involved, have the French no planes of their own.

Last Modified By Eastlands at 13 Jan 2013 - 8:25 PM
KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 11:16 PM

Defence and Security Cooperation Treaty
The purpose of this is to develop co-operation between British and French Armed Forces, the sharing and pooling of materials and equipment including through mutual interdependence, the building of joint facilities.
Britain and France signed the treaty in 2010

Last Modified By KevSB at 13 Jan 2013 - 11:17 PM
Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41208 forum posts United Kingdom198 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 11:32 PM

We barely have the heavy lift capability as it is, so if one aircraft goes unserviceable it strains the rest of the fleet. Diverting a couple to help the French will have goodness knows what effect on our existing commitments.

We'll need cooperation with the French, after all they're going to be using our aircraft carriers we have no aircraft for, that is until the joint strike fighter comes in the maritime role (which will be late, massively over budget and unable to carry out the roles it was designed for, if we have anything to do with it).

Cynical? Me?

Nick

chris.maddock
14 Jan 2013 - 9:37 AM

Quote: We barely have the heavy lift capability as it is, so if one aircraft goes unserviceable it strains the rest of the fleet. Diverting a couple to help the French will have goodness knows what effect on our existing commitments.

The BBC are reporting that the C17 has broken down in France and is not now expected to depart until tomorrow. That's encouraging - not Wink

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2013 - 10:42 AM

Quote: We barely have the heavy lift capability as it is, so if one aircraft goes unserviceable it strains the rest of the fleet. Diverting a couple to help the French will have goodness knows what effect on our existing commitments.

We'll need cooperation with the French, after all they're going to be using our aircraft carriers we have no aircraft for, that is until the joint strike fighter comes in the maritime role (which will be late, massively over budget and unable to carry out the roles it was designed for, if we have anything to do with it).

Cynical? Me?

Nick

I think thats the whole reason we are supporting them chris, both countrys dont have the troops and equipment for force projection anymore, The politicians come up with an idea of sharing, great idea on paper but will come back to bite them in the rear im sure.
The other problem is each country then finds excuses to cut even more as the other team have the assets.Great while we both are singing from the same songsheet.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.