Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

No UK troops would be deployed in a combat role.

13 Jan 2013 6:10PM
Now where have we heard that before.......Answers on a postcard please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
13 Jan 2013 6:19PM
Being in the so say economic climate the government would have us believe we're in, I'm surprised we can afford the fuel.........Just hope to high heaven the militants in Mali haven't hold of any SAM missiles or there will be some very red faces at the MOD when a C17 gets shot down!

Ade
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 6:20PM
Whats it got to do with me??

Grin
13 Jan 2013 6:25PM

Quote:Whats it got to do with me??

Grin

Your a EPZ moderator and were let to believe that you know everything Smile
13 Jan 2013 6:26PM
Is there oil in Mali?
answersonapostcard e2
13 Jan 2013 6:31PM

Quote:
Your a EPZ moderator and were let to believe that you know everything

oh well in that case..
Grin

Depends how well the French get on, between me and you I hear that the French were planning on going in later than this but because militants were getting close to a strategic military airport they had to go in sooner, hence the help from the UK.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
13 Jan 2013 6:32PM
Gold is the major export according to Wiki!
answersonapostcard e2
13 Jan 2013 6:33PM
Oil, might be, they've been rigorously exploring..
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
13 Jan 2013 6:33PM

Quote:were getting close to a strategic military airport

hmmm.....SAM missiles! Sad
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 7:23PM
I'll give it 6 months by which time our troops will be in the thick of it and the French will be back home.

Quote:Now where have we heard that before.......Answers on a postcard please.

Reminds me of John Reid in his speech to Parliament before sending the troops into Afghanistan;

"This is not a warfighting mission and if one shot is fired I will have failed"

I guess he would argue that since not one but many thousands of shot have been fired he didn't fail?
Eastlands e2
4 687 3 Northern Ireland
13 Jan 2013 8:24PM
Why are we even getting involved, have the French no planes of their own.
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 11:16PM
Defence and Security Cooperation Treaty
The purpose of this is to develop co-operation between British and French Armed Forces, the sharing and pooling of materials and equipment including through mutual interdependence, the building of joint facilities.
Britain and France signed the treaty in 2010
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2013 11:32PM
We barely have the heavy lift capability as it is, so if one aircraft goes unserviceable it strains the rest of the fleet. Diverting a couple to help the French will have goodness knows what effect on our existing commitments.

We'll need cooperation with the French, after all they're going to be using our aircraft carriers we have no aircraft for, that is until the joint strike fighter comes in the maritime role (which will be late, massively over budget and unable to carry out the roles it was designed for, if we have anything to do with it).

Cynical? Me?

Nick
14 Jan 2013 9:37AM

Quote:We barely have the heavy lift capability as it is, so if one aircraft goes unserviceable it strains the rest of the fleet. Diverting a couple to help the French will have goodness knows what effect on our existing commitments.

The BBC are reporting that the C17 has broken down in France and is not now expected to depart until tomorrow. That's encouraging - not Wink
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2013 10:42AM

Quote:We barely have the heavy lift capability as it is, so if one aircraft goes unserviceable it strains the rest of the fleet. Diverting a couple to help the French will have goodness knows what effect on our existing commitments.

We'll need cooperation with the French, after all they're going to be using our aircraft carriers we have no aircraft for, that is until the joint strike fighter comes in the maritime role (which will be late, massively over budget and unable to carry out the roles it was designed for, if we have anything to do with it).

Cynical? Me?

Nick

I think thats the whole reason we are supporting them chris, both countrys dont have the troops and equipment for force projection anymore, The politicians come up with an idea of sharing, great idea on paper but will come back to bite them in the rear im sure.
The other problem is each country then finds excuses to cut even more as the other team have the assets.Great while we both are singing from the same songsheet.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.