Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Noise-cancelling headphones

CaptivePhotons e2
11 1.6k 2 England
6 Dec 2008 7:45PM
I tried a pair of Bose 'Quietcomfort' headphones on today and was astounded at the noise cancelling quality, this is the first time I have tried any of these type of headphones and I thought "I must get me a pair of these".

So I picked the box up, checked the price, picked myself up, put the box back and walked solemnly out of the door.

Does anybody else have any recomendations/experience of this type of headphone for a realistic price? I don't mind paying for quality but 270 was a little too much quality.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrcal e2
10 1.0k
6 Dec 2008 7:51PM
I use the Sennheiser PXC250s. Light, inexpensive, effective.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
6 Dec 2008 8:21PM
Sony for me...
MikeA e2
10 1.2k England
6 Dec 2008 8:33PM
StaxPro ... electrostatics for me.
J4MIE e2
7 38 Scotland
7 Dec 2008 1:57AM
I use these ones, excellent quality and cheap too!!

link

Sadly the adapter I have for my sony ericsson phone isn't quite so good and keeps breaking but life is never easy...
ARJones e2
8 103 3 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2008 2:39AM
Sennheiser PXC350's....in the summer they were available in Costco for around 80 - 90 pounds .... very happy to see them duty free at Gatwick for around 170 pounds!

Andy
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
7 Dec 2008 4:49AM
That's too much for a pair of headphones, unless you're super wealthy. Thatbloke, if you're looking for headphones to block out ambient sounds, I can't help. But, if you still want to hear the phone ring, or the doorbell, the in-ear Bose earphones are perfect. I believe the sound rivals their bigger over ear sets. The ones with the black and white wires are the best, the earlier model had problems with falling out of one's ear. I've had a pair for 9 months now, and I use them with 4 MP3 players, and they're at least twice as good as the next best that I tried. Very comfortable.
stevie e2
11 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2008 6:39AM
I have a pair of the Bose noise cancelling phones, I got them a couple of years ago on a trip to the Far East. The price in the UK is steep but they're very good. I wouldn't be without them on my weekly trips from Manchester to London - the sound from an ordinary ipod is transformed - or on long flights where, even without music, the headphones make sleeping so much easier. All the same, I believe lots of other companies (such as Sennheiser) do noise-cancelling phones now that rival the Bose at much more reasonable prices.
mlewis e2
10 1.5k United Kingdom
7 Dec 2008 9:03AM
I have some Shure in ear headphones. They are not noise cancelling but they have foam bits that you stick in your ear like earplugs which block out the sound outside. Very good on planes but you have to be careful using them when walking around outside as you can't hear things like traffic very well if at all.
CaptivePhotons e2
11 1.6k 2 England
7 Dec 2008 7:10PM
Thanks for the responses. I'm almost tempted to go with the Bose set as they are doing an interest free offer with a free iPod shuffle from their site here

I've just got to disown the kids so I don't need to buy them a Christmas present.
SteveHunter e2
6 386 1 England
7 Dec 2008 7:25PM
Bose headphones and an iPod is it worth it. The Bose headphones are high quality headphones with fantastic noise reproduction, whereas the iPod is very poor. It would be a bit like sticking the old Canon 18 - 55 kit lens on the front of a 50D, and compressing all of the photos you take to the smallest possible jpeg as you only bought a 256MB card.
CaptivePhotons e2
11 1.6k 2 England
7 Dec 2008 7:29PM
Steve

I dont want the iPod, I'm just trying to justify getting the headphones.

I might put an ad in the classifieds for 'Three kidneys for sale.'
Grin
SteveHunter e2
6 386 1 England
7 Dec 2008 7:37PM

Quote:I dont want the iPod, I'm just trying to justify getting the headphones.

Ah understand the logic there. Wink

Quote:I might put an ad in the classifieds for 'Three kidneys for sale.'

didn't you mean 'Three kids for sale.' Smile
CaptivePhotons e2
11 1.6k 2 England
7 Dec 2008 7:50PM

Quote:didn't you mean 'Three kids for sale.'

Nah, I need someone to clear up after me.

Chris, I tried them on in a busy shop, and whilst I could hear some ambient noise, I was still very impressed with the results. I also found them very comfortable. I can't get on with the in-ear types.

However, unless I strike it rich sometime soon, I will have to settle for a cheaper brand (not necessarily inferior I know). The trouble I am having is being able to find a retailer that has the different brands on display and being able to try before I buy. Hence the call for recommendations.
User_Removed 9 4.9k England
8 Dec 2008 1:01PM
Try the AKG 701s absolutely Brilliant........ well worth the money
AKG 701

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.