Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

None of your snide remarks now.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014789 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2006 - 2:25 PM

Cheney accidentally shoots fellow hunter
Feb. 12, 2006. 06:05 PM
ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON U.S. Vice-President **** Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.
Harry Whittington, a millionaire lawyer from Austin, was alert and doing fine in a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday after he was shot by Cheney on a ranch in south Texas, said Katharine Armstrong, the propertys owner.

He was described as in stable condition by Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System in Corpus Christi.

Armstrong in an interview with The Associated Press said Whittington, 78, was mostly injured on his right side, with the pellets hitting his cheek, neck and chest during the incident that occurred late afternoon Saturday

She said emergency personnel travelling with Cheney tended to Whittington until the ambulance arrived.

Cheneys spokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice-president was with Whittington and his wife at the hospital Sunday.

The shooting was first reported by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. The vice-presidents office did not disclose the accident until nearly 24 hours after it happened.

Armstrong said she was watching from a car while Cheney, Whittington and another hunter got out of the vehicle to shoot at a covey of quail.

Whittington shot a bird and went to look for it in the tall grass, while Cheney and the third hunter walked to another spot and discovered a second covey.

Whittington came up from behind the vice-president and the other hunter and didnt signal them or indicate to them or announce himself, Armstrong said.

The vice-president didnt see him, she continued. The covey flushed and the vice-president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by God, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2006 - 2:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2006 - 2:34 PM

deletes very witty remark about bad shots. And Dan Quayle. And ...

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014789 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2006 - 2:36 PM

Take your best shot. Oops!

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2006 - 2:48 PM

cackle

wozza
wozza  8
12 Feb 2006 - 4:11 PM

Moderator note: Message removed, please watch your language.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022999 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2006 - 11:10 PM

Whittington peppered by ****

MoWiz
MoWiz  9114 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Feb 2006 - 11:14 PM

LOL@Keith
just another friendly fire incident Wink

MoWiz
MoWiz  9114 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Feb 2006 - 11:24 PM

From John Nichols (The Nation)

Quote: Sure, it's been fun joking about the fact that **** Cheney obtained five -- count them, five -- deferments to avoid serving in the military during the Vietnam War. Sure, its been amusing to recount his limp claim that the man who served as George Bush I's Secretary of Defense had "other priorities" than taking up arms in defense of his country. Sure, it was a laugh when the chief cheerleader for the war in Iraq mocked John Kerry for having actually carried a weapon in a time of war.

But it is time to stop laughing at **** Cheney's expense.

Now that the vice president has accidentally shot and wounded a companion on a quail hunt at the elite Texas ranch where rich men play with guns -- spraying his 78-year-old victim, er, friend, in the face and chest with shotgun pellets and sending the man to intensive care unit of a Corpus Christi hospital -- it has become clear that Cheney was doing the country a service when he avoided service.

The man Cheney misstook for a quail, millionaire attorney Harry Whittington, was in plain sight, wearing a bright orange vest at the time the vice president blasted him.

U.S. troops had enough problems in Vietnam without letting a trigger-happy incompetent like **** Cheney start shooting things up from behind the lines.

Those deferments were well and wisely issued.

Bryn_Jones
Bryn_Jones  10186 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Feb 2006 - 1:23 AM

This reminds me of an old Tom Lehrer song simply entittled the Hunting Song, its some what amusing and is probably very relevant.

Bryn

jazzygf
jazzygf  11537 forum posts Scotland
13 Feb 2006 - 2:41 AM

I see even the vice prez is a big fan of friendly fire. If you can't find your quarry shoot a passer by or a hunting buddy.
The poor guy should stick to simple things like blowing up the world from his bunker.
Just had a great idea make him a ceo of nikon or canon or another camera company. They can give him the latest model camera and he can go and shoot till his hearts content without almost murdering someone.

PhilT1956
PhilT1956  932 forum posts
13 Feb 2006 - 2:51 AM

I believe that the old World War 2 adage was:
"When the British shoot, the Germans duck. When the Germans shoot, the British duck. When the Americans shoot, everybody ducks!"
Clearly, nothing has changed...
PT

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2006 - 2:57 AM

If I was going to accidently shoot and injure someone I wouldn't pick a lawyer!!!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102289 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2006 - 3:17 AM

I think Cheney, Bush and all his neo-con friends should go on more and more shooting parties.

realm of shadows

Maybe I missed your discussion on.....

"Britain Investigates Video Said To Show Abuse Of Iraqi Youths By Troops"

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/13/international/europe/13abuse.html?_r=1&ore...

but I guess a hunting accident is more important.

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Feb 2006 - 6:17 AM

Maybe because the video is so much more a serious issue could be why people aren't taking the p!ss out of it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.