Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

North Yorkshire - Any Photo Locations / Attractions recommended?

24 Jan 2012 2:13PM
Hi,
Im off to north yorkshire this weekend, up to skipton,
Any good photographic locations?
and as im going with the mrs, kinda need to do something she would like one day too so
any attractions thats worth a visit?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

24 Jan 2012 2:35PM
Checking your porfolio, here's my suggestions,
If the weather is OK, low wind, dry check out the falcon centre http://www.hawkexperience.com/
For landscape go to Malham, for the cove, limestone pavements, and Gordale Scar for a dramatic waterfall. There's a fine pub in the village.
For a pretty drive go to Kettlewell, Starbotton, Buckden up the Wharfe valley.

Enjoy
24 Jan 2012 2:45PM
cheers, ill check those out!
thanks
cantona43 e2
9 915 4 England
24 Jan 2012 2:54PM
Have a ride about 25 miles down the road to Ingleton this is a beautiful place in N yorks the mrs could visit Skipton Market
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2012 4:05PM
fountains abbey and brimham rocks are great all-rounders ...
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
24 Jan 2012 4:13PM
Scalebar force is between Skipton and Settle. You can park at the side of the road and it's a five to ten minute walk (Quite steep to get down to the base though). Click on the map tab on the pic so you know how to find it.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
24 Jan 2012 4:18PM
The obvious is the Dales, Malham, Twistleton, Scalebar etc the limestone pavements of the upper Dales are breathtaking. Then you Swaledale with all the barns. For market towns / Cities look at Northallerton, York, Ripon, Knaresborough, Harrogate ( great for shopping etc) Scarborough, Whitby then there's the fishing villages like Staithes and Robin Hoods Bay. Brimham rocks have already been mentioned, but there are far more rock outcrops in and around Nidderdale (the forgotten Neighbour of Wharfedale) the rock outcrops from the last Ice Age when the Sandstone was deposited by the glaciers).

Almost forgot the North Yorkshire Moors, Sutton Bank is quite good. To be honest North Yorkshire probably has more to offer for the landscape photographer than probably any other county.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Jan 2012 5:27PM
I forget the name of the village where "Heartbeat" was filmed (Google for it) but that has some interesting features, especially if you are into old railways.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
24 Jan 2012 5:37PM
Skipton base

you don't really want the 2-3 hour drive to Goathland and the north york moors, so I'd stick close to the Skipton area - which is malham, ingleton, settle, clapham, kingdale and maybe venture to Dentdale. Ribblehead is worth a look of course, very impressive viaduct in the middle of the hills.

If you've a long day...

Ingleton waterfalls walk...
Back to Settle for Scalebar Force
Follow the road to Airton which goes onto Malham, grab your sunset there - I hear there's a tree there?
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
24 Jan 2012 5:42PM

Quote:I hear there's a tree there?

Not any more - Sutty wore it out and then chopped it down so no-one else could take any Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
24 Jan 2012 5:57PM
there was a broken branch actually...

sabotage!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.