Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Norway - you are in our thoughts and prayers...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
24 Jul 2011 - 10:57 AM

Norway has always been an open and peaceful country with delightful people.

Their Prime Ministers felt safe to move about quite freely until Olaf Palmer was murdered while walking in a park. Previously, if Norwegians wanted to know about terrorism, they had to consult a dictionary.

Sad beyond words!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Jul 2011 - 10:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102236 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2011 - 11:54 AM

Quote: More people are murdered in the name of religion than anything else, and yet I have never found a Holy Book yet for any of the main stream religions or beliefs which condones the murder of innocent people.

I would rather say that more people are murdered in the name of dogma (which may or may not be religious) than anything else.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314809 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2011 - 1:12 PM

Sad news, yet another nobody wanting to be famous.

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jul 2011 - 2:41 PM

Quote: Sad news, yet another nobody wanting to be famous.

Thats a simplified point of view. These people aren't born like that they are made. Look at his influences and you begin to see the essence of the atrocity in Norway.

Breivik is a supporter of US based anti-muslim activists such as Pamela Geller, Robert Spencer and Daniel Pipes. Pipes was appointed by G. Bush II to the US Institute for Peace, which is ironic given his political ideology. He now sits on the same board as Obama's front man to the Middle East Dennis Ross which publishes journals and is used by the the Obama administration as 'advisory' on Middle East policy. Brevivik's right wing pro Israel stance and his antipathy to Muslims are exemplified by organisations like the English Defence League, Im not suggesting this in itself will lead to acts of mass murder.

The atrocity in Norway shows us what can happen when the wrong person subscribes to such toxic beliefs, as those mentioned above.

Food for thought, for all of us.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2011 - 2:52 PM

It is a shock to the system, for the West, when this type of thing is carried out by someone who can be categorised as one of "us" rather than someone who can be regarded as one of "them". Food for thought indeed!

And, hopefully, in the wake of this tragic event - which has killed about twice the number in the 7/7 London bombings - we will not be so quick to attach an automatic "Al-Qaeda" label to every atrocity which happens in the world. Evil exists in all races, creeds and ideologies.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314809 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2011 - 4:21 PM

Quote: we will not be so quick to attach an automatic "Al-Qaeda" label to every atrocity which happens in the world. Evil exists in all races, creeds and ideologies

This is more Columbine than 9/11, mostly aimed at kids and teenagers.

mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2011 - 4:37 PM

This just serves to prove that the extremists our media always talks of, exist on both sides - and it shows the power that one individual can have over other human beings.

Such a waste of so many lives, and an event that we change the outlook of that nation forever.

Chris

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54169 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2011 - 4:59 PM

Ideology, religion, dogma - Brainwashing, madness, facism.

Whatever happened to Live and Let Live? Or was that just a story in a book? Sad

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jul 2011 - 8:33 PM

Quote: This is more Columbine than 9/11, mostly aimed at kids and teenagers.

Both the bombing and the shootings were more a political act aimed at the Norwegian Labour Party, I would have thought.

Apparently the suspect has told police he had been planning the attack over the last 9 years. Quite staggering!

Certainly not a "moment of madness".

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 10:58 AM

minute's silence 11am GMT ie. now being held across Norway.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102236 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 11:58 AM

Quote: Certainly not a "moment of madness".

Absolutely not...9 years of madness.Sad
As you say, CB, this was a political act but I get the feeling this was also as much about the inflated ego of the killer.
I find it rather chilling that throughout history, highly irrational or damaged individuals like Hitler, Stalin, and others like this guy, have caused so much mayhem, slaughter and suffering because there always seem to be plenty of over-aggressive boneheads to follow them. This extremely dangerous individual needs to be kept out of circulation for ever - not just 21 years or whatever is presently decreed by Norwegian law. I hope his Nazi followers take the hint...

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jul 2011 - 12:08 PM

The dignified and rational behaviour of the Norwegian people, politicians & press should be a lesson to all in this country

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Jul 2011 - 12:38 PM

Quote: The dignified and rational behaviour of the Norwegian people, politicians & press should be a lesson to all in this country

Absolutely.

gcarth
25 Jul 2011 - 5:21 PM

I agree with the above comments.
I have to say, I was on the fence as to whether or not the media should be allowed in for the court appearance of this killer, but I think maybe on balance, the right decision was taken not to give him a platform for his twisted views: I think we are already getting a pretty good idea of what he believes in from the media already. However, I think the decision to keep the media out of the courtroom was probably only a wise one because of the enormity of his crime. Besides, the Norwegians seem to have a pretty open society in general.
I read a few of the papers today: The photos of him in uniform and medals as some self-styled world war leader seemed to fully underline what I said before: He's a first class prat and needs to be ridiculed in the same way that Spike Milligan used to ridicule Hitler in a number of his sketches.
In most societies, there have always been these mad egocentric buffoons - Oswald Mosley was another one - just as up his own backside as this character in Norway.

Carabosse
25 Jul 2011 - 5:42 PM

Even in peaceable and ultra-democratic Norway, there have been calls for introduction of the death penalty. Hardly surprising when the maximum the culprit could get is 21 years....... and he'd probably be out again in much less than that, with remission.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.