Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Norway trip next year - can I manage with this lens for possible Northern Lights ...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Fluke
Fluke  659 forum posts Wales
21 Nov 2012 - 12:29 PM

I have a Canon 5d mk1, was going to take my EF 20-35 USM f3.5/4.5, I know this isn't a fast lens but the 5d can do ISO 1600 without any real loss of quality. With the trip I can't really afford to buy a nice prime (or I couldn't afford to go in the first place!) Obviously will have a tripod. I have got my 50mm f1.8 for less wide angle shots if I need it - I think it make come in handy for more targeted images.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Nov 2012 - 12:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

IanBurton
IanBurton  464 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 12:52 PM

I'm heading to Lapland beginning of December so will be better experienced after that trip to advise on lens for northern lights. I'm yet to decide on my own kit but at present will be using 2 wide angle lens, Sigma 17-35mm and Sigma 28-70mm. These I hope will enable me to travel light but have enough range to capture the lights and landscapes, plus some closer comps. Have you considered lens hire, possibly 24-105, I hear it's very versatile.

Ian

GlennH
GlennH  91896 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 3:23 PM

Ken Rockwell bangs on about extreme levels of colour fringing when using the 20-35mm on the 5D MK 1 or II, although presumably you can rectify this in DPP or similar. I've previously owned the 5D MK I and the lens you refer to, albeit at different times. I recall impressive central resolution from the lens.

In an ideal world you'd buy the fastest, most expensive wide-angle lens you could afford in order to minimise the need for extreme ISO settings, but failing that I'd be surprised if you can't extract some decent results from your existing gear. One idea would be to buy one of the relatively affordable Canon wide-angle primes and then sell it on once the trip was over?

cameraman
cameraman  11227 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 3:41 PM

Quote: Obviously will have a tripod

Then you don't need fast lenses or high ISO.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43686 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 3:50 PM

@ Fluke- what month are you coming here?

Malc

Fluke
21 Nov 2012 - 4:26 PM

Quote: @ Fluke- what month are you coming here?

Malc

March, we are sailing on a Hurtigruten ship from Tromso to Kirkeness - I think that's how its spelt. But we are having a evening/night trip Aurora hunting just out side Tromso the day before we sail.

I think this will be my best opportunity to photograph the lights.

Fluke
21 Nov 2012 - 4:28 PM

Quote: Obviously will have a tripod

Then you don't need fast lenses or high ISO.

I have read for detailed Aurora shots that aren't too wishy washy, a shorter shutter speed is better, too long and the shots become more like long waterfall shots, all creamy and blurred.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43686 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 6:13 PM

Quote: @ Fluke- what month are you coming here?

Malc

March, we are sailing on a Hurtigruten ship from Tromso to Kirkeness - I think that's how its spelt. But we are having a evening/night trip Aurora hunting just out side Tromso the day before we sail.

I think this will be my best opportunity to photograph the lights.

March is towards the end of the season for "The Lights", but will certainly be OK. Tromsų tends to be a very good area to see them. The night set aside for light hunting will be your best chance to get decent images as you will need an exposure of 20-40 secs depending on the conditions. Obviously on a ship, that is impossible. Use as large an apeture as possible. Ideally f/2.8 or larger

BTW: Tromsų and Kirkenes

Last Modified By saltireblue at 21 Nov 2012 - 6:15 PM
carterart
carterart  1074 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 - 6:35 PM

I wrote an article here about my experience of aurora hunting if this helps.

ensign
ensign e2 Member 7181 forum postsensign vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 6:36 PM

Hi Fluke.

I did the trip in Feb. 2012, well worth while. Mind you it was a bit "cool". We saw "The Lights" at sea and I was using a G9. Got some images a bit shakey. ENJOY and good Hunting.
Bernard

smacau1
smacau1  2213 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 - 6:56 PM

Would love to do this. Which travel companies would poeple recommend?

Fluke
21 Nov 2012 - 7:51 PM

Quote: Hi Fluke.

I did the trip in Feb. 2012, well worth while. Mind you it was a bit "cool". We saw "The Lights" at sea and I was using a G9. Got some images a bit shakey. ENJOY and good Hunting.
Bernard

hi, did you do the exact trip I'm taking about with Hurtigruten? If so any more thoughts - I'd be interested to hear them.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63280 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 9:13 PM

Quote: Would love to do this. Which travel companies would poeple recommend?

Fred Olsen cruises. Smallish boats ( 800-1200 passengers) so they can go into the fjords.
They are doing a series of Northern Lights cruises next year.

ensign
ensign e2 Member 7181 forum postsensign vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 7:41 PM

Hi Fluke,

Trying to send you messgae. Could you turn on the message system?

Bernard

Fluke
23 Nov 2012 - 10:18 AM

Quote: Hi Fluke,

Trying to send you messgae. Could you turn on the message system?

Bernard

not sure what mean, I looked at my settings, can't see a "turn on" message tick box anywhere.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.