Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Not enough RAM to save processed photos.

Paintman e2
8 902 173 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 6:26PM
When my computer was new it worked with PS CS2 and CS4 easily. I could use multiple layers, stitch 5-8 photos together and had file sizes in excess of 2GB if I wanted. Now I have problems saving almost anything. It depends whether the machine is feeling willing or not. I have just processed a photo for Alamy as an 8-bit TIFF, file size of 72 MB from a Canon 7D, pixel height and width of approx. 6100 x 4200 and it refused to save the photo. I then reduced the size to 5200 on its long size reducing the file size and it still wouldn't save. I want to save it as a Jpg which would reduce the file size to approx. 5-6 MB.

A message box pops up saying there is not enough RAM memory so I have to shut it down and lose all my processing for that photo. The computer did have 3GB of RAM but this was up graded by Dell to 4GB of RAM so I'm at a loss to understand how more RAM hasn't improved the ability to save files I was saving with only 3MB. I sometimes have problems saving even a 400 Kilo Byte!!! to upload to Epz. The scratch size at the bottom left of the PS CS5 panel goes from about 350 MB when the photo is opened at full size ( a 72 MB file size ) to 1.08 GB ( and quite often going above the scratch disc total of 1.2 GB ) within a couple of adjustment layers. I tried to save and re-open the photo after every single layer adjustment and flattening the layers. This worked until I wanted to sharpen the photo when it would again show the not enough RAM box.

I am running Windows Vista 32-bit with 4GB of Ram, 750GB hard drive, Intel Quad Core Q66oo and PS CS5 32-bit. I have two external hard drives connected with almost all my data on it. The Dell hard drive has 272GB used space and 426GB of free space. The external hard drive has used 282GB of space and has 1.4TB of free space. I have designated both the C. drive and external drive as scratch discs in the PS preferences table for when RAM memory is running short. I have also upped the amount of memory PS can use in the preference table, assigned the scratch discs and increased the cache limit. I have reduced the cache limit too to try to see if that would help. It didn't so the cache is at the higher level. I have purged the cache on numerous occasions and when I process photos I close everything so as not to take up valuable memory. I'm aware that a 32-bit system will only be able to use just over 3GB of the 4GB RAM I have installed but I'm not using anything in PS that I wasn't using when it could save higher file sizes.

A computer expert at work told me that over time the Windows system suffers from 'bloating', which means that continual updates from Microsoft and other software updates add to the crap on the computer and it slows up, reducing its performance. I don't know if this is true but it certainly seems to be how my computer is behaving.

I regularly defrag my computer and hard drives and run Iolo System Mechanic ( a registry cleaner and computer performance enhancing tool ), recommended on the Windows site itself.

Sorry about the long winded ramble but if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. I don't really want to do an OS re-install if I can help it. I think I may have to up grade my computer to a 64-bit system, again this is a last resort.

Thank you for any replies on this oneSmile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Hugo 9 647 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 7:14PM
(If you know what your doing) I would, back up all your files on to an external disc, put the windows/repair disc in, format everything and do a fresh install.
Dell lied to you slightly as 32bit Windows cannot use/see more than 3.1 gig RAM anyways - to use more you need a 64 bit system....
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
6 Jan 2013 7:38PM

Quote:(If you know what your doing) I would, back up all your files on to an external disc, put the windows/repair disc in, format everything and do a fresh install.

If you are going to do a fresh install as Hugo suggested, spending a few ££s on Windows 7 might not be a bad idea. The 64-bit version will be able to use your 4Gb of RAM. You would then also be able to use the 64-bit version of CS5.

Apart from that, check to see what is loading on Start-Up and disable anything you don't actually need to be running.
EddieAC 10 695 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 7:48PM
That seems to be a rather unusual problem and I am not sure if I can offer any conclusive help.

Your system may have slowed down by this "Bloating", I'm running XP and it has slowed right down to a crawl recently. It only has 2GB ram and an 80GB hard drive and a 1.5Ghz processor but still runs CS5 with no problems so I am not to sure what is happening with your system.

You could have a rogue program in your system. If you open the task manager and select the performance tab, is the CPU Usage bar constantly high? Also if you look in the processes tab it should show the memory usage for each specific task. Do any of the tasks show excessively large amounts of ram in use? If so you can type the name of the task into google and it often comes up with results that explain what program the task relates to. If the task seems to be a virus or malicious program then you can try ending it. Have you tried a system scan with your anti-virus?

Also you could try closing any unnecessary programs in the task bar and see if that frees up enough memory for you to save your files.

Another thing to try is to go to File/Scripts/Image Processor and see if it will save your work that way. At least if you can save what you have done you can then concentrate on the real problem.

Have you added any new hardware recently? Sometimes this can cause problems if a device has not installed properly. Also try disconnecting any hardware that you have in case a driver has become corrupt and interfering with your system.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
6 Jan 2013 7:51PM
you could try ccleaner that might clean a load of crap off.
Paintman e2
8 902 173 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 7:55PM

Quote:Apart from that, check to see what is loading on Start-Up and disable anything you don't actually need to be running.

I have already done that and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I still have a few things I can turn off but I don't know if it will have a detrimental affect on my system.

Quote:If you know what your doing) I would, back up all your files on to an external disc, put the windows/repair disc in, format everything and do a fresh install.

I thought I might have to do that, drat. My computer knowledge is dangerous and like a Swiss cheese. I know somethings but most of the important stuff is sadly lacking. I have seen computers on ebay from sellers with very good feedback that have the Intel i7 chip, Windows 7 or 8 and 8 to 16 GB of RAM for about £5-600 and with a 2-3 year warranty. Is it worth buying from this kind of seller or should I stick to the main companies?
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
6 Jan 2013 8:07PM

Quote:
If you are going to do a fresh install as Hugo suggested, spending a few ££s on Windows 7 might not be a bad idea. The 64-bit version will be able to use your 4Gb of RAM. You would then also be able to use the 64-bit version of CS5.

Another vote for Windows 8 as a direct replacement for XP.
This is what I did just before Christmas. To be fair, my machine was more than capable of running CS6, Lightroom and a few other things simultaneously before the upgrade but it has improved since I did it.
I'm not sure though that you can just drop a 64bit OS in where it used to be 32.
Can the motherboard and other bits support 64bit?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 8:08PM
Try holding ctrl, alt & shift then double clicking on the CS4 icon to start it.
When it asks if you want to delete the settings file chose Yes.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 8:27PM

Quote:Try holding ctrl, alt & shift then double clicking on the CS4 icon to start it.

That sounds interesting - can you elaborate on what that process does exactly?
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 8:29PM

Quote:Try holding ctrl, alt & shift then double clicking on the CS4 icon to start it.

Interesting - can you expand the logic behind this Chris?Smile

Could be very useful

Adrian
Paintman e2
8 902 173 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 8:44PM

I'm with arhb and Tomcat on this one. I'd have to know how this would help. Does it reset the program to its default settings?

Just to update on my peculiar computer. I've just processed the file I couldn't save and it's not only saved as a Jpg ( at 12M no less ), it's also saved as a TIFF at 72M. I don't understand computers at all. I did have the Task Manager running at the same time as well as Firefox, which uses about 167,000kb of memory and I'd left the properties window of my C. drive open as well. So it's saved the photo whilst all that was open.

None of the processes seem to be too big apart from Firefox on the Task Manager window. When the performance tab is opened there is a memory graph with bright green bars almost half way up and stating 1.39GB. Underneath this there is a text box with:

Physical Memory (MB)
Total-------3326
Cached----2509
Free--------75

Does this mean anything and is it possible and advisable to purge the Cached part of this?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 8:55PM

Quote: Does it reset the program to its default settings?

Yup, a lot of people on the adobe forums report it solves similar problems to yours.
Paintman e2
8 902 173 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 9:04PM
OK lobsterboy, I'm going to give it a go.
6 Jan 2013 9:15PM
Your out-of-memory errors might be caused by allocating too much of your system memory to Photoshop in your Photoshop preferences. This starves filters and plug-ins (like Camera Raw) of memory (and they sometimes need large chunks of contiguous memory: thatís why closing and reopening Photoshop, which defragments the memory, can fix the problem).

Iíd let Photoshop use no more than 60 or 70 % of available memory, or less if you keep getting out-of-memory errors.

Whatís it set to now? I think the default is 70 %.
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2013 9:32PM
We wait with bated breathWink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.