Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Not enough RAM to save processed photos.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7823 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2013 - 10:01 PM

I did allocate loads of memory to PS thinking it would make things faster. It may have had the opposite effect by the looks of it. I have now changed the settings back to their default settings as proposed by lobsterboy. I'll have to try some memory intensive processing to see if it works. I can't do it tonight so it'll be tested in the next few days to see if it works better. I'll post an update if things are working properly.

A big thanks to all who've taken the time to give answers to this problem.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2013 - 10:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon
8 Jan 2013 - 10:55 AM

I am sure the advice given will all help but during the latter part of 2012, I was also struggling with RAM and disk space with a similar spec machine to yours Vista 32 bit, 3 G Byte RAM etc. I often ran Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS4 and Oloneo at the same time and frequently either PS or Oloneo could not save due to insufficient RAM. I would have to stop at least one of the programmes to allow the other to save. My shortage of disk space was partly due to Vista consuming 30% of the disk space for Recovery points. I fixed this by deleteing all but the most recent and forcing the disk space limit to 10%. Nevertheless my PC was 5 years old and I decided to upgrade and I will eventually convert the old PC to a Home Server. I now have 16 G Bytes of RAM, plenty of disk space and running LR4 PS CS6 and Oloneo is now really fast. On a speed test using PS, CS6 now runs 17 times faster on the new PC than CS4 did on the old PC. I suspect the advice given by others may be enough to get you by for now but eventually you do need to move up to 64 bit and use more RAM.

Dave

User_Removed
8 Jan 2013 - 3:59 PM

Quote: . I have seen computers on ebay from sellers with very good feedback that have the Intel i7 chip, Windows 7 or 8 and 8 to 16 GB of RAM for about £5-600 and with a 2-3 year warranty. Is it worth buying from this kind of seller or should I stick to the main companies?

Don't touch the "main companies" with a bargepole. You are paying silly money for a worthless brand name.

As long as you check the feedback and reputation of the various large "custom-builders" who sell on eBay, you will get a much better deal. The sort of i7,16Gb combination you are looking at should be fine for photo-processing purposes (at least for the next year or two). That's certainly working for me with Lightroom 4 and CS6. Try ViBox for starters but there are others.

EsaT
EsaT  1 Finland
8 Jan 2013 - 8:18 PM

Quote: Have you tried a system scan with your anti-virus?

Anti-virus softwares aren't enough to catch everything.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free is among the best general anti-malware programs and should be user friendly and safe for novice.

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7823 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2013 - 9:13 PM

I've downloaded Malwarebytes and completed a quick scan where it picked up 3 malicious objects. These are now history and wiped from my computerSmile Thanks Esa T.

ViBox do seem a good place to buy computers, LeftForum, so thanks for the heads up.

I'll have a look at the restore points Dave. I didn't realize so much of the system was given over to this.

What is a home server?

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12474 forum postsCanonMan vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jan 2013 - 4:16 PM

Noticed you mentioned a 7D in your initial post. I have a similar issue when attempting to process RAW files from my 7D - "insufficient RAM" messages. By processing, I mean opening, not doing lots of layers, etc... Didn't and still doesn't happen with my 40D RAW files. Sometimes I can process a few from the 7D, sometimes only one or two. Clearing out disc space appears to help a bit but, it would seem, from other posts I have read, that the only foolproof solution is to purchase a new machine. Sad

samueldilworth

How much physical memory have you got, and how much have you allocated to Photoshop? Camera Raw isnít Photoshop, so if youíve allocated too much to Photoshop youíll starve Camera Raw.

Paintman
9 Jan 2013 - 5:29 PM

I have up-graded from 3GB RAM to 4GB RAM. The PS allowance ( in the Edit/Preferences box ) is listed below:

Memory Usage:

Available RAM: 1643MB
Ideal Range: 904-1183MB

Let PS Use: 1150MB 70%

Scratch Disc: 519.56GB

I have two external hard drives with 1.54TB and 893GB of free memory and the C: Drive has 519GB of free memory.

I have taken lobsterboy's advice and set PS to its default settings. I haven't yet had the time to process a large photo to see if this has helped.

I have a feeling that if I want to do more editing with the 7D I'll have to get a higher spec computer. Even with the 40D I had some problems, the 7D's files are noticeably larger so the problem is/was worse.

samueldilworth

I actually meant to direct that question to CanonMan, having already pestered you with the memory-allocation stuff earlier in the thread.

At some point I suppose buying a new computer is the sensible option. Still, hopefully lobsterboyís tips will keep you rolling until you do that. Otherwise, a ground-up installation of Windows on a freshly formatted disk, followed by all apps, data, and personalised settings, can do wonders for performance on old Windows computers. But thatís at least a dayís work and possibly two, even if you know what youíre doing (I donít!).

CanonMan
CanonMan e2 Member 12474 forum postsCanonMan vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jan 2013 - 10:51 PM

Quote: How much physical memory have you got, and how much have you allocated to Photoshop? Camera Raw isnít Photoshop, so if youíve allocated too much to Photoshop youíll starve Camera Raw.

The machine has 4GB RAM even though it can't address it all (32-bit). As for memory allocated to Photoshop, I've tried all sorts of combinations without any luck. Currently Photoshop has 1GB allocated. As I said when posting previously though, the problem only happens with the 7D RAW files, I can open 40D RAW files and 30D RAW files without any issues with exactly the same combination. I know the 7D RAW files are bigger so need more memory for processing but it should still be possible to open them without getting "insufficient RAM" messages. I'm only opening them and dealing with them one at a time then closing and trying to open the next.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.