Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Not for the faint hearted!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
6 Sep 2007 - 3:39 PM

...a video clip of footage shot over in Iraq... a type of which you wont see on your scripted news channel... there are some very distressing images!... but the whole world should watch this!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Sep 2007 - 3:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2007 - 3:40 PM

...only if there is a link...

Smile

Richardtyrrelllandscapes

Where...... ?

lol

User_Removed
6 Sep 2007 - 3:47 PM

sorry!...here!

moderator note - link contains disturbing images, please do not view if easily offended by such

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 6 Sep 2007 - 5:52 PM
Kim Walton
Kim Walton e2 Member 10144 forum postsKim Walton vcard United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2007 - 3:56 PM

http://nobravery.cf.huffingtonpost.com/

Last Modified By Kim Walton at 6 Sep 2007 - 4:01 PM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2007 - 4:42 PM

Looks like anti-war propaganda to me. Would like to know a bit more about the context of some of those images....

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2007 - 5:35 PM

Yep, it looks very "anti-western" to me

Graywolf
Graywolf  7964 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Sep 2007 - 7:58 PM

Quote: Looks like anti-war propaganda to me.

Well War to me is a bit like abortion.

I mean is there anybody out there going to put up their hand and say they think either is a 'good thing'. I would hope not. Both are a very poor last resort when absolutely necessary and nothing else will suffice.

It's no bad thing for those of us who have no experience of war to be reminded, just a little tiny bit about what it is really like.

I thought the moderator warning raised an interesting philosophical point. Not to look at awful things apparently done on our behalf. It is real people suffering out there, and I'm not just thinking of Iraqi's but the soldiers as well.

Remember what Churchill said,

'Jaw jaw is better than war war'.

Last Modified By Graywolf at 6 Sep 2007 - 7:59 PM
Danny_Peters
6 Sep 2007 - 8:05 PM

Almost entirely meaningless without context. About the only thing we can be sure about from those images is that was is bloody and unpleasant. I think we knew that anyway.

Danny_Peters
6 Sep 2007 - 8:07 PM

Oh, and that they aren't high res enough to zoom into.

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Sep 2007 - 8:48 PM

As there is absolutely no reference point you really have no idea about what really is happening. Agiprop for those who want to believe the worst.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 1:25 AM

Like many I've maintained a keen and close interest in events over the years. Anyone who truly believes that these are simply propaganda I would suggest has just not had the opportunity to see them the first time round and perhaps also didn't see live news reports which included such images as these.

I'm also interested to see that anyone who opposes the military action is perceived as a propagandist. I thought we might have learned from past mistakes even if our leaders haven't.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 1:49 AM

Quote: Yep, it looks very "anti-western" to me

The www full of this stuff, even youtube is loaded with it. Hardly anti western though, much of it posted by US serving troops as video diary`s.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 2:22 AM

Quote: Hardly anti western though, much of it posted by US serving troops as video diary`s.

Quite. I'm surprised that people haven't seen some of these stills when they end up on the news accompanying reports of servicemen and women being named and shamed ..

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2007 - 7:19 AM

Quote: I'm also interested to see that anyone who opposes the military action is perceived as a propagandist. I thought we might have learned from past mistakes even if our leaders haven't.

I was just making the point that pictures can often be used out of context and what looks like a soldier threatening a civilian might, in reality and from a different viewpoint, be something else entirely.

I actually thought this might be obvious to a bunch of photographers - the camera can lie. Not saying that that is the case here - only those present at the time the photograph was taken can answer that - just that we should approach images such as these with our critical faculties turned on.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.